Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 15th, '17, 23:57

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » Jul 15th, '17, 23:57

Today I was getting ready to take a drive through the desert and decided I wanted a cold-brew for the thermos (too hot for hot tea today), and the Gyokuro Kin from Dens tea came to hand before I touched the Maeda-en sencha I usually reserve for that. The gyokuro was brilliant: a splash of boiling water, a moment's wait, then cold water from the tap to fill the thermos, and then mid-afternoon with temp 112 in the Mojave, and lovely smooth cool gyokuro was magnifique.

Jul 16th, '17, 13:01

by victoria3 » Jul 16th, '17, 13:01

debunix wrote: Today I was getting ready to take a drive through the desert and decided I wanted a cold-brew for the thermos (too hot for hot tea today), and the Gyokuro Kin from Dens tea came to hand before I touched the Maeda-en sencha I usually reserve for that. The gyokuro was brilliant: a splash of boiling water, a moment's wait, then cold water from the tap to fill the thermos, and then mid-afternoon with temp 112 in the Mojave, and lovely smooth cool gyokuro was magnifique.
Interesting, I've only done cold brew using ice cubes; filling vessel with ice cubes, topping off with Gyokuro, wait until melted and enjoy. Otherwise, if I still have a steep left I'll place +-4th-5th steep of green teas in the refridgerator overnight, or for a day or two to enjoy later.

You've probably done both using ice cubes and just room temp water for 1st brew, how would you compare the difference in final brew?

Jul 16th, '17, 15:39

by Ferg » Jul 16th, '17, 15:39

victoria3 wrote:
debunix wrote: Today I was getting ready to take a drive through the desert and decided I wanted a cold-brew for the thermos (too hot for hot tea today), and the Gyokuro Kin from Dens tea came to hand before I touched the Maeda-en sencha I usually reserve for that. The gyokuro was brilliant: a splash of boiling water, a moment's wait, then cold water from the tap to fill the thermos, and then mid-afternoon with temp 112 in the Mojave, and lovely smooth cool gyokuro was magnifique.
Interesting, I've only done cold brew using ice cubes; filling vessel with ice cubes, topping off with Gyokuro, wait until melted and enjoy. Otherwise, if I still have a steep left I'll place +-4th-5th steep of green teas in the refridgerator overnight, or for a day or two to enjoy later.

You've probably done both using ice cubes and just room temp water for 1st brew, how would you compare the difference in final brew?
That sounds mighty tasty debunix! Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was there sipping on gyo in the desert. What purpose do you think the initial splash of boiling water had on the brew? And what type of thermos did you use, porcelain or stainless?

Victoria, do you ice brew gyo in clay pots or another vessel? I ask because I'd be too afraid to expose the clay to cold ice. Perhaps I'll experiment one of these days when I'm feeling braver.

Jul 16th, '17, 15:44

by victoria3 » Jul 16th, '17, 15:44

Ferg wrote:
victoria3 wrote:

That sounds mighty tasty debunix! Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was there sipping on gyo in the desert. What purpose do you think the initial splash of boiling water had on the brew? And what type of thermos did you use, porcelain or stainless?

Victoria, do you ice brew gyo in clay pots or another vessel? I ask because I'd be too afraid to expose the clay to cold ice. Perhaps I'll experiment one of these days when I'm feeling braver.
I've cold brewed in my Hokujo sake pitcher
COLD BREW_O-Cha Chiran in Tokoname Hokujo Yakishime Sake L1060281_sm3.jpg
COLD BREW_O-Cha Chiran in Tokoname Hokujo Yakishime Sake L1060281_sm3.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Attachments
COLD BREW_O-Cha Chiran in Tokoname Hokujo Yakishime Sake L1060287_sm2.jpg
COLD BREW_O-Cha Chiran in Tokoname Hokujo Yakishime Sake L1060287_sm2.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

Jul 17th, '17, 22:30

by victoria3 » Jul 17th, '17, 22:30

Getting into the green Japanese groove these afternoons. Maiko's 2016 Sincha Sencha Kinari is so good with a smooth, sweet green umami broth. Decided to come out of the closet with many of my teawares and arrange them in small vignettes onto open shelving and credenzas. Here is a very old Tokoname kyusu set with Mogake seaweed effect sitting on a stoneware slab by local artist David Stone of Stoneware Pottery.

L1000432_c2sm.jpg
Maiko's 2016 Sincha Sencha Kinari w/Mogake kyusu set & David Stone stoneware slab
L1000432_c2sm.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

Jul 17th, '17, 23:02

by Ferg » Jul 17th, '17, 23:02

Very nice Victoria! Love the entire set-up, from the chabako with newspaper backings, to the slab tray, to the mogake fired/banko diamond-cut teaware. The slab accentuates your mogake set. Such a nice display. :)

That shincha looks so mellow against the white clay. Makes me want to go for a cup here at nearly midnight. I still have the '16 and '17 versions to compare. One of these days...

Jul 17th, '17, 23:18

by victoria3 » Jul 17th, '17, 23:18

Ferg wrote: Very nice Victoria! Love the entire set-up, from the chabako with newspaper backings, to the slab tray, to the mogake fired/banko diamond-cut teaware. The slab accentuates your mogake set. Such a nice display. :)

That shincha looks so mellow against the white clay. Makes me want to go for a cup here at nearly midnight. I still have the '16 and '17 versions to compare. One of these days...
haha I kept the original newspaper packing as backdrop with that set. I'm enjoying arranging the teaware with other larger and smaller scale elements. I was going to use your new Hokujo kyusu but gravitated towards the white clay set. It had been a long time since I last used it, so finely crafted.

Oh yes, please do compare '16 to '17 Ferg when you get a chance. From what I've read 2016 might be better...

Jul 30th, '17, 16:40

by victoria3 » Jul 30th, '17, 16:40

Ippodo's Gyokuro Ippoen steeps perfectly as per their recommendation 10gr/80ml/140f/90sec. Has a nice longevity into 7 steeps, very flavorful with sweet pea smooth umami notes. Next time I'll get Ippodo's pricier Gyokuro Tenka-ichi just to compare, since I can't get their highest grade only sold in Kyoto store, Tokusen Gyokuro, which is exceptional.

Aug 15th, '17, 16:30

by victoria3 » Aug 15th, '17, 16:30

Finished off Ippodo's Gyokuro Ippoen, it is so delicious, rich kombu umami broth with a sweet pea lingering aftertaste. Wow. Glad I had it today, I think I opened the packet in June and the liquor is already less golden more evergreen, less elegant more like a rich evergreen forest. Still delicious. I'm glad I was able to share this a few times with our Los Angeles tea group. Ippodo's top Gyokuros are very good, steeped as recommended perfect.

Aug 22nd, '17, 10:34

by JRS22 » Aug 22nd, '17, 10:34

victoria3 wrote: Finished off Ippodo's Gyokuro Ippoen, it is so delicious, rich kombu umami broth with a sweet pea lingering aftertaste. Wow. Glad I had it today, I think I opened the packet in June and the liquor is already less golden more evergreen, less elegant more like a rich evergreen forest. Still delicious. I'm glad I was able to share this a few times with our Los Angeles tea group. Ippodo's top Gyokuros are very good, steeped as recommended perfect.
Someday I'm going to make it to the Ippodo store in NYC to check out their Gyokuro.

Aug 22nd, '17, 10:52

by JRS22 » Aug 22nd, '17, 10:52

I'm having my decrepit kitchen replaced with a beautiful functional one. I'll have two glass fronted cabinets with lighting to display and readily access all my teaware. All my artisanal teaware is bubble wrapped and stored in sturdy boxes. In the meantime I took some factory made teaware upstairs to my temporary kitchen along with some green tea. I couldn't possibly go for two months without tea.
IMG_4562.JPG
IMG_4562.JPG (49.29 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Aug 23rd, '17, 01:43

by victoria3 » Aug 23rd, '17, 01:43

JRS22 wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Finished off Ippodo's Gyokuro Ippoen, it is so delicious, rich kombu umami broth with a sweet pea lingering aftertaste. Wow. Glad I had it today, I think I opened the packet in June and the liquor is already less golden more evergreen, less elegant more like a rich evergreen forest. Still delicious. I'm glad I was able to share this a few times with our Los Angeles tea group. Ippodo's top Gyokuros are very good, steeped as recommended perfect.
Someday I'm going to make it to the Ippodo store in NYC to check out their Gyokuro.
That's where I got my last Gyokuro in the midtown Ippodo store. Beware store prices are higher than online, you don't pay for shipping there, still I was surprised how much higher the instore price was. Although it's nice to be able to sample their different teas in the store and go upstairs for delicious Japanese cuisine.

Aug 23rd, '17, 08:54

by JRS22 » Aug 23rd, '17, 08:54

Are you able to sample Ippodo Gyokuro or just less expensive teas? A tea tasting before buying would help me accept high prices!

Aug 23rd, '17, 13:07

by victoria3 » Aug 23rd, '17, 13:07

JRS22 wrote: Are you able to sample Ippodo Gyokuro or just less expensive teas? A tea tasting before buying would help me accept high prices!
Yes you can sample gyokuro, sencha etc. and they have a to-go menu also. Ouch, there minimum shipping to North America is 2300 jpy = 21$ usd so it does make sense to buy from the store, unless you are buying a lot then shipping costs are slightly compensated.

Aug 27th, '17, 13:04

by Shine Magical » Aug 27th, '17, 13:04

Today I had a nice session with Tsuen Sencha, "Aoi." I generally like this Japanese green tea because it is very balanced to me.

However, what made today special was that I had red watermelon before having this tea. The aftertaste of the red watermelon made the tasting of this tea so sublime... the faint green tea flavors with the light sweet aftertaste of watermelon... wow.

It was very special.

+ Post Reply