Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
May 3rd 14 1:36 pm
Posts: 77
Joined: Mar 30th 11 7:43 pm
Location: Europe

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by bob » May 3rd 14 1:36 pm

I'm currently drinking last year's Yutaka Midori sencha. Still very nice...
Tetsuaki Nakao cup with sencha.jpg
gunbuster363 wrote:What do you think of the fact that I don't like Sae Midori, eventhough a lot of reviews said it was wonderful? ( And Sae Midori is much expensive than Chiran )
When I compared them a few years ago, I also prefered Chiran sencha. I find it very good, my second favorite "daily sencha" after Yutaka Midori. But it's all related to what you like...

A question for all green tea lovers: I'm a little surprised there isn't any fresh Longjing available in any stores in Europe. Didn't they harvest it at the end of March? When can we expect to taste this year's tea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
May 4th 14 4:08 pm
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » May 4th 14 4:08 pm

Inspired by a discussion in another topic, starting the tea day with a bit of Woojeon from Morning Crane tea, not a chinese green, but one that is more like chinese greens in brewing style than japanese senchas, and is hitting the spot well for a lazy start to Sunday.

User avatar
May 5th 14 10:50 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Feb 5th 10 10:32 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by blairswhitaker » May 5th 14 10:50 am

Had my first taste of shincha for the season today. A nice asamushi from kanbayashi. It's good but not great. Really refreshing though, leaves an extremely cool feeling on the palate.

ImageImage

User avatar
May 8th 14 12:33 am
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » May 8th 14 12:33 am

Working on some An Ji Bai Cha from Wing Hop Fung, a 2013 version, but fortunately this lovely and forgiving tea isn't punishing me for slow drinking. I'm brewing it in a Petr Novak shiboridashi, and drinking from a drippy dreamy shyrabbit cup.

User avatar
May 10th 14 3:48 pm
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » May 10th 14 3:48 pm

Last of round 1 of the Woojeon from Morning Crane tea, a fine brewing in Petr's shino kyusu and enjoyed from my large drippy summer chawan

Image

Pleasantly enough, even when it's too full of tea to lift high and gaze at the drips, they're so very tactile that just holding the bowl, they still add to the pleasure of drinking from it. Trying to pick a favorite cup or bowl now would be like picking a favorite child, as would picking a favorite kind of tea--just not happening--but this delicate but humble tea, and this stony but sparkling bowl are a combination that gives as much pleasure as any combination of tea and teaware can. Now I just need to configure some tea prep areas on my terraces and decks in my stairs of a yard to perfect the tea experience.

May 16th 14 5:39 pm
Posts: 71
Joined: Jul 5th 13 12:49 pm

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by davidglass » May 16th 14 5:39 pm

I am having trouble finding a good Sencha. My last package of Kagoshima Sencha Sae Midori wasn't as good as the one I had before it. Someone mentioned a less expensive Sencha (Chiran).
What is good RIGHT NOW?
Thanks to all of you tea lovers.

May 16th 14 5:41 pm
Posts: 71
Joined: Jul 5th 13 12:49 pm

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by davidglass » May 16th 14 5:41 pm

I am also looking for a good Gyokuro. O bought Hibiki-an Gyokuro Konacha, and I don't like it at all. I would love to find a good everyday Gyokuro.
Thanks again for your help.

May 16th 14 7:48 pm
Posts: 224
Joined: Aug 28th 11 12:08 pm

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Noonie » May 16th 14 7:48 pm

davidglass wrote:I am having trouble finding a good Sencha. My last package of Kagoshima Sencha Sae Midori wasn't as good as the one I had before it. Someone mentioned a less expensive Sencha (Chiran).
What is good RIGHT NOW?
Thanks to all of you tea lovers.
My last few senchas have been from Maiko and I've liked all of them. One was the Sencha Kyo no Tsuyu (can't recall the other one). I have some sincha being shipped too.
davidglass wrote:I am also looking for a good Gyokuro. O bought Hibiki-an Gyokuro Konacha, and I don't like it at all. I would love to find a good everyday Gyokuro.
I bought a couple of the mid-priced ones from O-Cha. First experience with Gyokuro...very sweet, not subtle, but I liked it a lot. I think it was the one with 'Yame' in the title.

User avatar
May 17th 14 4:51 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by jayinhk » May 17th 14 4:51 am

Drinking Thai Nguyen (Vietnam) green on ice today--with my morning coffee (also Vietnamese). I don't have much of the Vietnamese green left, although I have a lot of the lily scented, that I don't like as much, so I decided to try some organic Hui Ming green direct from Zhejiang through this dealer on Taobao:

http://meal.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=hk1t ... 0114087091

The seller suggested the 110 for 50g and 55 for 50g teas and said the lesser ones wouldn't be worth my while after shipping to Hong Kong (Around $6). I decided to take the seller's advice. Let's see how good their teas are!

User avatar
May 17th 14 6:19 am
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by chrl42 » May 17th 14 6:19 am

Drinking Huangshan Maofeng in BSLN Niugai Lianzi yixing at work.....

great as normal :)

User avatar
May 17th 14 10:16 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Feb 5th 10 10:32 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by blairswhitaker » May 17th 14 10:16 am

Koyamaen's top grade of shincha. Perhaps someone can lend a hand with the kanji.

This is incredibly strong tea, both in flavor and caffeine. Their is something about uji cha that is hard to put my finger on. Part of it has to do that I normally order shincha from Kyushu and Shizuoka, while ordering most of my gyokuro and matcha from uji. But since I am here I haven't ordered any tea and have been drinking only local offerings. This is probably the 5 or 6th shincha I have tried this year.

Does anyone know if we have an official shincha 2014 thread? I couldn't find one.

Image

User avatar
May 17th 14 2:10 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by William » May 17th 14 2:10 pm

blairswhitaker wrote:Does anyone know if we have an official shincha 2014 thread? I couldn't find one.
Maybe this one. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ha#p260859

User avatar
May 17th 14 4:30 pm
Posts: 688
Joined: Jul 7th 08 11:06 pm
Location: ostensible universe

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by puerhking » May 17th 14 4:30 pm

Drinking some 2014 karigane shincha from Maiko. Super grassy with some marine notes and umami. Giving a good mellow feeling.

User avatar
May 17th 14 5:32 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Chip » May 17th 14 5:32 pm

William wrote:
blairswhitaker wrote:Does anyone know if we have an official shincha 2014 thread? I couldn't find one.
Maybe this one. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ha#p260859
Actually, I just created one, sorry for the delay ...

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19772

User avatar
May 17th 14 6:06 pm
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jul 10th 13 5:38 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by William » May 17th 14 6:06 pm

Chip wrote:
William wrote:
blairswhitaker wrote:Does anyone know if we have an official shincha 2014 thread? I couldn't find one.
Maybe this one. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ha#p260859
Actually, I just created one, sorry for the delay ...

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19772
Great! Thanks Chip. :D