Flavored Puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 1st, '09, 22:15

by Janine » Jul 1st, '09, 22:15

"tangerine wrapped" is in line with a kind of pomelo tradition. I have had high fired oolong in pomelo as well. I don't call it "flavoring" in the same sense that we have so many chemical flavorings added to tea for modern marketing purposes. I quite enjoy the pomelo teas I've had

Jul 1st, '09, 23:39

by xuancheng » Jul 1st, '09, 23:39

iguanahey wrote:... "in-orange" pu-erhs ...
pu-erh that's been cooked in bamboo.
... rose pu-erh.
Some puer flavourings are traditional, I would say. There is also the Nuomixiang puer or puer flavoured with glutinous rice.

I have had puer with chrysanthemum flowers, but I read somewhere that this combination is toxic, and shouldn't be consumed. (I wish I had the source.)

I think we should give the guy a break. If he likes the stuff, then why not?

Has anyone else had pu'er with flowers mixed in?
茶也醉人何必酒?

Jul 2nd, '09, 00:22

by Janine » Jul 2nd, '09, 00:22

xuancheng wrote: Has anyone else had pu'er with flowers mixed in?

for classic dim sum (at least here in the US :-) cantonese style, "kok boh" is the mixture to "cool" the puer and soften it with chrysanthemum as far as I know

Jul 7th, '09, 14:27

by Janine » Jul 7th, '09, 14:27

Yesterday I was visiing the Mission at Carmel (Carmel-by-the-Sea, California). There is an absolutely beautiful garden in the Mission which has been restored and lovingly tended. It smells heavenly and it's dazzling to look at.

However, walking around I smelled the most amazing smell. I finally placed it as the white blossoms from a tree that appeared to be a grapefruit. But, I was told by the gardner, it was really a pomelo tree. I was invited to take some of its fruit home, and perhaps I will do my own tea experiment.

If you ever get a chance to go there or to see another pomelo tree, it's worth it simply for this indescribably beautiful scent - something like bergamot (also in the citrus family). I wanted to share a photo with my fellow tea lovers.

Last edited by Janine on Jul 7th, '09, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 7th, '09, 15:02

by betta » Jul 7th, '09, 15:02

Janine wrote: I wanted to share a photo with my fellow tea lovers.
Janine, those pictures are nice; Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jul 7th, '09, 18:27

by Janine » Jul 7th, '09, 18:27

@ betta - :-)

Jul 8th, '09, 09:47

Flavored tea

by Var » Jul 8th, '09, 09:47

There are two conspicuous tea shops near me and both of them have never heard of Pu'erh firstly, but both of them told me they sell one kind of tea (black) and that they just add flavor to it.

I can understand adding Bergamot to black tea but beyond that I suspect they are just trying to use flavor hide the fact that their tea is junk.

Same as what the coffee suppliers do.

+ Post Reply