Any specific pu erhs for ageing?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 3rd, '10, 22:29
Vendor Member

Re: Any specific pu erhs for ageing?

by gingkoseto » Nov 3rd, '10, 22:29

That's a million dollar question :D A follow up question I have is, if I love a 5-year old sheng puerh, should I drink it up and call it a day or stock up a lot of it for another xx years? To me this question is as hard as how much money I should put in my IRA :|

Nov 3rd, '10, 22:46

by auhckw » Nov 3rd, '10, 22:46

gingkoseto wrote:That's a million dollar question :D A follow up question I have is, if I love a 5-year old sheng puerh, should I drink it up and call it a day or stock up a lot of it for another xx years? To me this question is as hard as how much money I should put in my IRA :|
Even if you like it, there are still many of your liking out there which you may not have explored/found. So a tea seller told me for own consumption don't stock up too many, Buy 1 toong of 7 beeng. Consume only 1/2 beeng per year. This can last you 14 years. Meanwhile enjoy other tea too. If you keep drinking something you like, no matter how good it is, you will get bored.

He also said, by doing this you get to enjoy the puerh for many years and taste how it changes in its character which the tea seller claimed that the changing is about 2 years once if stored in Malaysia.

Nov 3rd, '10, 23:37
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 3rd, '10, 23:37

auhckw wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:That's a million dollar question :D A follow up question I have is, if I love a 5-year old sheng puerh, should I drink it up and call it a day or stock up a lot of it for another xx years? To me this question is as hard as how much money I should put in my IRA :|
Even if you like it, there are still many of your liking out there which you may not have explored/found. So a tea seller told me for own consumption don't stock up too many, Buy 1 toong of 7 beeng. Consume only 1/2 beeng per year. This can last you 14 years. Meanwhile enjoy other tea too. If you keep drinking something you like, no matter how good it is, you will get bored.

He also said, by doing this you get to enjoy the puerh for many years and taste how it changes in its character which the tea seller claimed that the changing is about 2 years once if stored in Malaysia.
That's a good point. How much tea one really needs should be taken into consideration. I've seen quite a few friends who stocked up way more tea than their whole families can really consume in future years.

I feel part of the cause of stocking is currently there are relatively few reliable (and affordable) sources to get, say, 10-20 year old puerh. Maybe in the future there will be more, when puerh market is more in order.

Nov 5th, '10, 21:59

by oldmanteapot » Nov 5th, '10, 21:59

nicolas wrote:You're asking for inception. I hope you do understand the gravity of that request.
I can't agree more! :-D

+ Post Reply