Aug 27th, '08, 00:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 27th, '08, 00:05

taitea wrote: Meaning, theoretically, the stuff at the bottom would be "better"?

I almost feel like the bigger leaves are staying at the top of my bags and the smaller, crumbier ones are sinking to the bottom. So that the teas get worse and worse as the leaf level of the bag drops.

p.s. that pic I posted was randomly taken from google to give an idea, and is not my actual bag
Whether one uses a tin or a bag, the smaller particles settle to the bottom. The difference is exposure to air as the tin gets more and more empty compared to a bag. It could be argued that the leaf in the bag will be subjected to more breakage.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 27th, '08, 18:21

by greenisgood » Aug 27th, '08, 18:21

Salsero wrote:Out of curiosity, which teas do you get from TeaSource? Have you had the Bonnie Blink? Handmade Nilgiri? Wild Kwan Yin? Are any of their greens good? I got the worst long jing of my life from them, but also some fine Darjeeling.
Well its my local teashop so I've tried almost all of their good stuff. The Bonnie Blink is pretty good if I remember, and definitly interesting with the giant twisted leaves. The Nilgiri is one of my favorite black teas, its really light and delicious. And the yellow tea is pretty good but not that different from a really good green, its like a white tea with more chinese green taste, and really nice big leaves too.

I really like right now their Jade Spring which is a good grassy Chinese green and the Snow Flower which has kind of a wheaty taste and is just a good cheap green. Their Big Red Robe is good and really cheap.

And yeah I always think TeaSource is best for getting Darjeelings (and Assam's if youre into that). All the Darjeelings I've gotten from there have been delicious and they keep new lots coming in all the time.

Aug 27th, '08, 18:49

by Salsero » Aug 27th, '08, 18:49

greenisgood wrote: Well its my local teashop so I've tried almost all of their good stuff.
Boy you really know their stock! I forgot that you were my guide in July before I went there last time. I am convinced that the Blink Bonnie is a yellow not a green ... at least it works like a yellow for me.

Aug 27th, '08, 19:18

by Proinsias » Aug 27th, '08, 19:18

Blink Bonnie, that sounds Scottish.

Might be worth mentioning that it depends on the tea. The thread seems rather focused on keeping the tea as close as possible to the condition it arrived at your door in. I've been enjoying the effects of 'bad' storage on many of my teas recently, a good portion of my tea stock is stuff which tastes rather different from when I first acquired it.
Chip wrote:Whether one uses a tin or a bag, the smaller particles settle to the bottom. The difference is exposure to air as the tin gets more and more empty compared to a bag. It could be argued that the leaf in the bag will be subjected to more breakage.
As I found out when I sat on a bag of da hong pao recently, shorter brewing times are now required.

Aug 27th, '08, 19:42

by Geekgirl » Aug 27th, '08, 19:42

Proinsias wrote:
Chip wrote: It could be argued that the leaf in the bag will be subjected to more breakage.
As I found out when I sat on a bag of da hong pao recently.

:lol:

my brain is trying desperately to think of a comeback that involves seat cushions and water landings...

Aug 27th, '08, 20:22

by Proinsias » Aug 27th, '08, 20:22

it'd better be good now you've built me up

Aug 27th, '08, 20:22

by Bubba_tea » Aug 27th, '08, 20:22

foodsaver.. 8)

Aug 27th, '08, 20:37

by taitea » Aug 27th, '08, 20:37

While we're on the topic, how do we feel about tupperware for storing tea? Surely the silvery ziplocks put inside tupperware can only help.

Aug 27th, '08, 21:58

by JadeKitsune » Aug 27th, '08, 21:58

Chip,

*laughs* I was about to say:

You could satisfy your OCD by switching to progressively smaller tins ;-)

~Jess

Aug 28th, '08, 03:29

by Chip » Aug 28th, '08, 03:29

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Proinsias wrote:
Chip wrote: It could be argued that the leaf in the bag will be subjected to more breakage.
As I found out when I sat on a bag of da hong pao recently.

:lol:
Not what I had in mind exactly, but yeah :lol:

JadeKitsune wrote:Chip,

*laughs* I was about to say:

You could satisfy your OCD by switching to progressively smaller tins ;-)

~Jess
Now that is just too tempting. But then my tins would not be all the same size. :roll:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 29th, '08, 00:46

by JadeKitsune » Aug 29th, '08, 00:46

Hahaha! Good point.

You'd need to buy matching sets of progressively smaller tins.

Like these:

From: http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/New ... ea-Tin.axd

And of course, regulate your tea drinking to keep all the levels equal. ;-)

+ Post Reply