Sunday TeaRoom 9/28/08 What Food pairs with tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today is another TeaRoom TeaDay on TeaChat. The TeaPoll and discussion topic is a reversal of yesterday's. What FOOD or Foods pair BEST with tea for YOU?

Sweet snacks
18%
Salty snacks
No votes
The chocolate food group
20%
Fatty snacks
3%
A light meal
15%
A heavy meal
13%
Other
33%

Total votes: 40

Sep 28th, '08, 11:58

by olivierco » Sep 28th, '08, 11:58

Miyabi sencha right now.
Some Bresaola (or Viande des Grisons) on bread should pair well with it I guess.

Sep 28th, '08, 12:00

by bronzebed » Sep 28th, '08, 12:00

salsero-gorgeous pot!

sweets and chocolates go well with tea for me. helps cut down the richness. i love a nice scone with my tea and i've been experimenting with making scones lately. i made a fantastic chocolate chip, cranberry, and almond scone. yums.

for breakfast i'm going to make some iron goddess of mercy oolong.

Sep 28th, '08, 12:12

by Cinnamon Kitty » Sep 28th, '08, 12:12

Sal- I love your lilies.

Most foods can be paired with tea. Even spicy Indian Food goes nice with a Masala Chai. The only foods that I prefer to not drink tea with are the hearty, rich foods like a beef stew.

Currently in my cup, Oolong #8.

Sep 28th, '08, 12:22

by Smari » Sep 28th, '08, 12:22

Ladytiger wrote:Still neglecting tea, I'm in a coffee phase for some reason as well.
I'm still looking for someone that would be interested being interviewed for my high school senior project. If you're interested please PM me. The topic is of my project is tea so please be tea knowledgable. I'm mostly interested on information of tea culture around the world.
Wished I could be of any help, but I'm not knowledgeable like the other veterans here :oops:

As for the poll, I think it really depends on the tea I'm drinking. I usually have sashimi, or any light rice dish with green teas, spicy dishes with oolong teas, and sweets or rich tea biscuits with the black teas.

Right now, having matcha. Will probably brew up some of Den's mecha later.

Sep 28th, '08, 12:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Sep 28th, '08, 12:36

Sal- love the teapot!

food, eh? #1- chocolate, #2- whatever I happen to be eating at the time. But really, I rarely drink anything but water or wine with food. Even if I have a drink at a restaurant, I tend to drink most of it either before the food comes, or after I have finished my food. And usually I don't snack much when drinking tea. Just me and my tea. :lol:

Sep 28th, '08, 13:41

by leiche » Sep 28th, '08, 13:41

I voted for chocolate, but really, all of the above work for me.

Sorely lacking in tea so far, just one cup with breakfast. This needs remedying.

Sep 28th, '08, 14:08

by chamekke » Sep 28th, '08, 14:08

Wow, there really is a difference between "what tea do you take with food" and "what food do you take with tea"!

Like Geekgirl, I usually take my meals with water or occasionally wine. I'm a one-taste-at-a-time kind of gal, I guess. Most of the wines I drink must be able to stand on their own, and the same is true of tea.

Having said that... I do occasionally enjoy a snack with green tea. The Japanese often serve sencha with rice crackers, called sembei, that are slightly sweet or salty (or both!). This kind of accompaniment does complement the sencha very well, I find. And a little chocolate - especially when it's dark chocolate - goes beautifully with most teas.

Also, I do try to follow the tradition of taking a delicately-flavoured sweet immediately before drinking a bowl of matcha. The ideal one is a type of sweet made from a special kind of sugar, called wasanbon - but it's very hard to obtain outside North America. The only people I've found who sell it outside Japan are Tea Circle in California. Great stuff if you can get it.

But aside from that, I don't really take food with tea, much less in large amounts.

Sep 28th, '08, 14:24

by edkrueger » Sep 28th, '08, 14:24

It really depends on the tea.

Light Oolong: Light Asian, Taiwanese, Light Thai like spring rolls.
Dark Oolong: Chinese, Taiwanese
Shu: Strong, spicy, grassy Chinese

Sep 28th, '08, 14:44

by olivierco » Sep 28th, '08, 14:44

Darjeeling Phuguri FTGFOP1 to end the day.

Sep 28th, '08, 15:20

by Chip » Sep 28th, '08, 15:20

chamekke wrote:Wow, there really is a difference between "what tea do you take with food" and "what food do you take with tea"!

And a little chocolate - especially when it's dark chocolate - goes beautifully with most teas.

Also, I do try to follow the tradition of taking a delicately-flavoured sweet immediately before drinking a bowl of matcha. But aside from that, I don't really take food with tea, much less in large amounts.
If I am drinking tea, I might nibble. I love dark chocolate, seems to go well in moderation with Japanese tea. Otherwise, lighter fare. Maybe rice. I don't go for anything that is going to mess with my tea!!!

I would love to have some of the traditional Japanese sweets available.

Adagio Golden Monkey to start the day. Kabusecha from O-Cha. Then Adagio Alishan, stopped after 3 steeps so I can come back to this tonight. A great TeaDay ensues.

Sep 28th, '08, 15:43

by omegapd » Sep 28th, '08, 15:43

I must be totally in the minority here with chocolate and tea. I don't think they go well together at all. The chocolate seems to overpower whatever tea I'm drinking with it.

Finishing off my tea day with Golden Sail loose leaf shu...

EW

Sep 28th, '08, 15:46

by Chip » Sep 28th, '08, 15:46

omegapd wrote:I must be totally in the minority here with chocolate and tea. I don't think they go well together at all. The chocolate seems to overpower whatever tea I'm drinking with it.

EW
You need a real tea, sencha :!: :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 28th, '08, 15:53

by omegapd » Sep 28th, '08, 15:53

Chip wrote:
You need a real tea, sencha :!: :wink:
Eating the chocolate alone is more of an option for me, my friend. :wink: :lol:

Sep 28th, '08, 16:22

by Victoria » Sep 28th, '08, 16:22

In my cup this afternoon:
2003 TGY from Jing Tea Shop

A nice example of an aged TGY

Sep 28th, '08, 16:27

by Salsero » Sep 28th, '08, 16:27

omegapd wrote: I must be totally in the minority here with chocolate and tea.
+1