Oct 24th, '14, 23:30

Re: Yixing Stickers

by chrl42 » Oct 24th, '14, 23:30

tingjunkie wrote:So here's another question about Yixing stickers...

In the case of a verified pot such as the one that just fell in my lap, would removing the sticker decrease its value if I were planning to sell it in the future?
It depends on whom you are selling to. If you are selling to random markets, of course having a sticker on it might help.

But as for collector markets per se, I don't think it'd affect much.

Oct 24th, '14, 23:38

by Tead Off » Oct 24th, '14, 23:38

In the case of a verified pot such as the one that just fell in my lap, would removing the sticker decrease its value if I were planning to sell it in the future?

This pot is right in my perfect size range for use, and I would love raising it up and seeing the patina form, however... I already have a bunch of pots that I love, and it wouldn't hurt to just keep this one as an investment to sell later. Are Factory 1 pots like Star Wars figures that should be kept in their "original packaging" as it were? :lol:
You are a tea drinker. These pots are not really considered 'collector' items like Qing period pots. The value is in their use for tea. Enjoy the pot. Just keep the photo with the sticker on it for any future transaction in case someone cares.

Oct 24th, '14, 23:45

by kyarazen » Oct 24th, '14, 23:45

This pot is right in my perfect size range for use, and I would love raising it up and seeing the patina form, however... I already have a bunch of pots that I love, and it wouldn't hurt to just keep this one as an investment to sell later. Are Factory 1 pots like Star Wars figures that should be kept in their "original packaging" as it were? :lol:
do you have the original box too? if its the dark purplish box with those words terracotta pots it may push the year of export to '81-83.

Oct 24th, '14, 23:52

by tingjunkie » Oct 24th, '14, 23:52

No, no box, kyarazen.

You're right TeadOff, better to have my cake and drink it too! :lol: Maybe I'll carefully steam it off and put it in a protective baseball card sleeve for safe keeping though. :mrgreen: It just wouldn't feel right to throw it away.

Oct 25th, '14, 00:51

by kyarazen » Oct 25th, '14, 00:51

just some added input on "yixing investment"

I still think the "Yixing" factory pot market has not "matured" yet. Its still in a phase that lacks clarity to where the market's going.

there's some "artificial" inflation of prices going on over here as well, recently spoke to a veteran in the malaysian field, he said that in the 70s-80s, the taiwanese/japanese came to south east asia to sweep pots, in the 90s, the malaysians came to singapore to sweep, so all in all he thinks that it is like a market corner (remember the piggly wiggly corner of the 60s?).

once cornered, its up to the collectors and merchants to decide the price, constantly and unanimously singing the songs of "no more already!", "cannot find anymore!", "last piece!", "o' you're very lucky to be able to see something like this!" etc and many more. there is some truth in what they say, but when it becomes a kind of seller propaganda it can be quite irritating.

the friend also shared with me certain mentalities that had lead to a further price inflation in malaysia, the "buy it at a future price" tendency. he doensnt know whom or when it started, but there is a degree of infectiousness. what this means is that when a buyer buys a pot, he will consider its value or price several years from now, and then agree to buy it at the inflated price because of that. i.e. a pot is actually $100 on the market now, but the seller prices it at $250, which the buyer will now put himself in a mental state or thought process that buying it at $250 is reasonable since 2 years from now it should be worth $300. this creates a bubble, and again there is "unanimous" adoption of such mentalities amongst many collectors and sellers in this region. the only question is on when the "price" of these things will peak-out, and whether the increase is consistent.

so in some way, the market remains sophisticated by subsequent inputs
1) increasing interest in chinese teas in the west and all around the world, to which eventually people would start wanting to seek out yixing wares (some even keeping a pot per tea)
2) tens of millions if not more of pots were made during the CR, subsequently even more in the 80s, and then the 90s, and all the modern purple clay work going on.
3) supply elasticities. it depends on where you are, in south east asia, after the corner, the supply became really inelastic. but if you drop yourself in the right countries and right places, you might be able to get a better deal.
4) and much more..i'm too lazy to write after lunch..

in summary : its not so clear that the "market" wants at the moment, but the sub niches of the markets can have its preferences and its type of prices. having a label on, in pristine condition can fetch good prices in some of these niches, whilst in other niches, the label is not important, by looking at the clay and material there is a different price.

Oct 25th, '14, 07:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Oct 25th, '14, 07:55

In my opinion the sticker is just what it is, a sticker.
Remove it, use the teapot, sell it when you prefer. When you will sell it, it is the teapot that will be evaluated, not the sticker. :wink:

Regards my friend.

Oct 27th, '14, 12:36

by tingjunkie » Oct 27th, '14, 12:36

Oct 27th, '14, 15:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Oct 27th, '14, 15:15

Hi tingjunkie,

From the photos I would say late 70s! :)

Regards.

Oct 28th, '14, 22:18

by kyarazen » Oct 28th, '14, 22:18

tingjunkie wrote:As requested...

Under Side of Lid

Inside Pot
yeap hongni blended with qingshuini

wouldnt it be nice if you could find the other 4 brothers in the series? :P

Oct 28th, '14, 23:35

by tingjunkie » Oct 28th, '14, 23:35

kyarazen wrote: wouldnt it be nice if you could find the other 4 brothers in the series? :P
Yes it would. Hey... you can send me the ones in your avatar! :mrgreen:

Jan 21st, '15, 13:18

by heliospace » Jan 21st, '15, 13:18

So, I've had this little set for a while now, but decided to ask about this particular sticker. Maybe somebody has seen it around before... or perhaps just an inventory sticker.

The bottoms of each cup, the plate, and the shui ping also had a black and white "made in china" sticker.

Jan 23rd, '15, 02:17

by kyarazen » Jan 23rd, '15, 02:17

heliospace wrote:So, I've had this little set for a while now, but decided to ask about this particular sticker. Maybe somebody has seen it around before... or perhaps just an inventory sticker.

The bottoms of each cup, the plate, and the shui ping also had a black and white "made in china" sticker.
small auction or consignment house sticker........ :D

Jan 23rd, '15, 21:30

by heliospace » Jan 23rd, '15, 21:30

Ah, good thought. Like auction lot number. He He! Didn't even cross my mind. :-) Cheers!

Apr 17th, '16, 04:02

by CheekyChipmunk » Apr 17th, '16, 04:02

Hi There,

Was just speaking to my mum today and she remembered being gifted a teapot set a good 20 years ago. She sent me a pic of a sticker that fell off since it has just been sitting there (note it is not the pot that she put it on to take the photo). I live in a different city so can't speak to the authenticity of the tea pot/setting, but thought it might add to the little sticker collection. It seems to add something new as there is no dash between Yixing and China as per the other stickers and the font of the characters at the bottom of the black half seems to be the tallest without having the square look of the yellow sticker.

Thoughts Anyone?
Attachments
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG (41.25 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Apr 20th, '16, 15:44

by BioHorn » Apr 20th, '16, 15:44

On topic for Yixing, off topic for stickers.

Am enjoying this blog:

http://bababu24.pixnet.net/blog/2

+ Post Reply