what to buy from Tea Gallery?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 17th, '09, 14:40

what to buy from Tea Gallery?

by miginaustria » Jul 17th, '09, 14:40

I found out a few days ago that my parents had decided to go to NYC. I have read good things about The Tea Gallery here in the forum, but they don't ship to Europe. So, this is my chance to get some tea from there. Any recommendations of teas you have tried and enjoy particularly from there, be they green, oolong, or puer?

Jul 18th, '09, 01:59

by wyardley » Jul 18th, '09, 01:59

Their "classic" roast TGY is probably their signature tea, and they have a good variety of Wuyi yancha (try the Rou Gui ("Cinnamon") or "Golden Key" maybe) and Fenghuang dancong (maybe try a sample of the Song Zhong Dancong ("Song Dynasty Royal Tree").

Buy an extra of the gaiwans, and make sure you buy at least one of the smallest one.

You might want to place the order online, and then just have your folks pick it up.

Jul 18th, '09, 02:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 18th, '09, 02:21

Didn't they close the bricks-and-mortar store and are exclusively online while they shop for a new lease? You may have to make special arrangements to pick up the order.

Jul 18th, '09, 02:36
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 18th, '09, 02:36

Salsero wrote:Didn't they close the bricks-and-mortar store and are exclusively online while they shop for a new lease? You may have to make special arrangements to pick up the order.
If my info is correct. They do have a "upstairs" store in mid-town. But appointment is a must. I would suggest to email them first, listing what you like and what you are looking for. They can then do a personal (prescription : ) for you. Let me know how it goes. Cheers - T

Jul 18th, '09, 03:57

by miginaustria » Jul 18th, '09, 03:57

TIM wrote:
Salsero wrote:Didn't they close the bricks-and-mortar store and are exclusively online while they shop for a new lease? You may have to make special arrangements to pick up the order.
If my info is correct. They do have a "upstairs" store in mid-town. But appointment is a must. I would suggest to email them first, listing what you like and what you are looking for. They can then do a personal (prescription : ) for you. Let me know how it goes. Cheers - T
Yep, correct. I already e-mailed them a few days ago. And Dae said they have a place on the Upper West side now, by appointment, and gave me a phone number. So, it should be ok.
Recommendations, please!

Jul 18th, '09, 04:09
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 18th, '09, 04:09

Some of my recommendations:

White - White Peony
Green - Lion's Peak Dragonwell
Yancha - Golden Buddha
and if you are new to puerh, this will be a great introduction - 2004 Silver Tip Puer
Of course the qaiwans, which they are second to non.

It really depends on the experience of your tea journey. These are some basics to build a good standard of what better tea should be. Hope you enjoy. T

Jul 19th, '09, 07:31

thanks

by miginaustria » Jul 19th, '09, 07:31

Thanks for the suggestions.
I ended up placing an order that mixed the recommendations of TIM and Wyardley:
- Long Jing
- Song Dynasty Oolong
- Iron Boddhisatva Oolong
- Cinnamon Oolong
- White Peony
- tiny gaiwan & cups
- and I threw in some Keemun and Lychee Red, since they were fairly cheap and I had been meaning to try black or "red" chinese tea for a while

Michael was incredibly kind and offered to drop the package at the concierge of the hotel where my parents are staying!

Jul 31st, '09, 21:42

Re: what to buy from Tea Gallery?

by tingjunkie » Jul 31st, '09, 21:42

I just want to say that I just got back from a tasting at the Tea Gallery only two hours ago. I saw this thread and had to comment. :D

Firstly, yes, they are not currently operating out of a "real" shop, but rather doing tastings by appointment in their very lovely, comfy, tasteful apartment.

Secondly, WOW! They just blew my mind right off the hinges! I am fairly new to experimenting with the really high quality teas, but out of the five I tried (all oolongs), I was blown away. I never knew tea could be so good! The flavors, aromas, and complexities of the teas was on a whole new level. Of course this was due to the fact that they were great teas expertly prepared gongfu-style by Winnie and Dae! (Michael was not there today.) The other thing was that Winnie and Dae are both so nice and knowledgeable. I learned an incredible amount about tea, tea ware, and preparation in the 2.5 hours I was there.

I found the tasting notes for each tea listed on-line to be very accurate and reliable, so I don't really feel the need to add my tasting notes. Just check their website. I will say however, that their Hundred Year Tea (which they claim is full of chi life-force energy) actually left me feeling light headed and made my leg vibrate! I kid you not! :lol:

I'm a bit broke this month or otherwise I would have bought more goodies! I did pick up a medium gaiwan, 100g of the Iron Bodhisattva GongFu, and 25g of the Shi-Lan Wu Yi (which was so pleasantly perfumy and feminine that it was kind of a sexy experience!). I think I'm now a fan of the Tea Gallery for life. If Winnie and Dae read this... Thanks again! You guys ROCK!

Jul 31st, '09, 22:30
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 31st, '09, 22:30

tingjunkie wrote:I just want to say that I just got back from a tasting at the Tea Gallery only two hours ago. I saw this thread and had to comment. :D

Firstly, yes, they are not currently operating out of a "real" shop, but rather doing tastings by appointment in their very lovely, comfy, tasteful apartment.

Secondly, WOW! They just blew my mind right off the hinges! I am fairly new to experimenting with the really high quality teas, but out of the five I tried (all oolongs), I was blown away. I never knew tea could be so good! The flavors, aromas, and complexities of the teas was on a whole new level. Of course this was due to the fact that they were great teas expertly prepared gongfu-style by Winnie and Dae! (Michael was not there today.) The other thing was that Winnie and Dae are both so nice and knowledgeable. I learned an incredible amount about tea, tea ware, and preparation in the 2.5 hours I was there.

I found the tasting notes for each tea listed on-line to be very accurate and reliable, so I don't really feel the need to add my tasting notes. Just check their website. I will say however, that their Hundred Year Tea (which they claim is full of chi life-force energy) actually left me feeling light headed and made my leg vibrate! I kid you not! :lol:

I'm a bit broke this month or otherwise I would have bought more goodies! I did pick up a medium gaiwan, 100g of the Iron Bodhisattva GongFu, and 25g of the Shi-Lan Wu Yi (which was so pleasantly perfumy and feminine that it was kind of a sexy experience!). I think I'm now a fan of the Tea Gallery for life. If Winnie and Dae read this... Thanks again! You guys ROCK!
Welcome to the real tea passage :wink: :wink:

Jul 31st, '09, 23:22

by tingjunkie » Jul 31st, '09, 23:22

TIM wrote:Welcome to the real tea passage :wink: :wink:
Yeah, you said it! Thanks Tim.

I just finished taking the new gaiwan out for a test drive with their Iron Bodhi Gongfu. My first time using a gaiwan, and I got to say I did ok! No dropping, minimal spillage, and my fingers are only a little burned. :lol:

+ Post Reply