Introduction: a Burgeoning Theaholic

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jul 21st, '09, 06:41

Introduction: a Burgeoning Theaholic

by jjb » Jul 21st, '09, 06:41

That's me. Seventeen, just a small-town kid, and the Cha already has me coiled up tightly in its voodoo.
[They start drinking so young nowadays!]
:)

Die Bio

Rural Missouri. I'll be attending high school for my last year starting in August. Graduation in May then off to college! I'll need an electric kettle...
Any other Missorians?—where do you all live? Any teenagers?—how old is everyone?

My other love, a rougher but more passionate affair, is of the arts and sciences, especially language and literature. (Check out the Whitman avatar!) I also love all the pure sciences, the other arts, and the scientific art: philosophy. In short, the pursuit of knowledge thrills me.
Any other lit nerds? How many bilingual and English-as-a-second-language speakers? (If there are German speakers, I hope I used the right article. :oops:) What about professionals (or dabblers and hobbyists like me) in the academic fields I mentioned?—Do we have poets? painters? MDs? star-gazers? monks? professors? I'd love to learn more than just the art of tea from you!

Der Tee

As for my tea addiction, my theaholism ifyouwill, it started at Wal-Mart, with bags. I didn't know anything about tea, but the variety of selection wowed me. 'Chai,' what I've now learned is appropriately called Masala Chai, was really what got me hooked. Next there came along a tin of loose Moroccan mint, a Christmas present. Then a green sampler from Adagio, and my fate was sealed. Now that I've moved to exclusively loose-leaf teas, not only is the brew so much better, but the selection has widened tremendously. It's a dizzying pleasure to try to familiarize myself with tea's innumerable manifestations, especially considering the different names for each. I'm an eclectic drinker, and plan to stay that way, due to my love of variety. My surely ephemeral favorites—adolescents are fickle people, that's undeniable, and I have so much more to try—include teas from snowbud to lapsang souchong. Also, I've so far been a budget shopper, but I don't know how long I can hold off buying a top-quality Iron Goddess or Yinzhen.
What're everyone's all-time favorites?

And now for the last couple weeks I've been reading and reading about tea online. Cultivation, preparation, history, culture, chemistry—I just couldn't quit! So, of course, I had no choice but to join TeaChat. I've already made a few posts and have even broken a rule.
:P Sorry, Chip.

Wonderful to meet you all!,
Jacob.

Jul 21st, '09, 08:04

by Trey Winston » Jul 21st, '09, 08:04

Welcome, Jacob :D
I wish I'd discovered tea when I was as young as you are. You're in for some great experiences :)

Jul 21st, '09, 08:58

by jjb » Jul 21st, '09, 08:58

Thanks, Trey.
Trey wrote:You're in for some great experiences :)
Yes, I know! and I can't wait! What a plant!

And now I'll have to go read about Norwegian...Oh, cool; it's tonal! I didn't even know there were tonal European languages. Shows what I know.

And then of course there's Ibsen.

What a world!

Jul 21st, '09, 08:59

by Riene » Jul 21st, '09, 08:59

Hello Jacob! You'll find quite a few people here who like science, literature, languages, travel, etc! Good to meet you!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 21st, '09, 09:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mrs. Chip » Jul 21st, '09, 09:37

Trey Winston wrote:Welcome, Jacob :D
I wish I'd discovered tea when I was as young as you are. You're in for some great experiences :)
*1!
Welcome Jacob to the best tea forum around. Enjoy your TeaJourney with us and don't hassle the Mod too much :wink: JK

Jul 21st, '09, 09:48

by jjb » Jul 21st, '09, 09:48

A fellow Midwesterner!
Yes, Riene, no doubt the tea-drinkers of the world are a bunch colorful and rich in personality, and I'm eager to meet everyone here.
[sips]

Jul 21st, '09, 09:56

by jjb » Jul 21st, '09, 09:56

[sips again]
Thanks for the welcome, Mrs Chip!
Mrs. Chip wrote:don't hassle the Mod too much
Hmm...just enough to keep him on his toes? :twisted:

Jul 21st, '09, 10:01

by Mrs. Chip » Jul 21st, '09, 10:01

jjb wrote:[sips again]
Thanks for the welcome, Mrs Chip!
Mrs. Chip wrote:don't hassle the Mod too much
Hmm...just enough to keep him on his toes? :twisted:
Sounds like a plan, however he is in control of 'The Ban Hammer' so please do so in moderation! 8)

Have fun learning Jacob, looks like you will be bringing a breath of fresh air to TC!

Jul 21st, '09, 12:25

by Chip » Jul 21st, '09, 12:25

Now now, I am a pretty nice guy.

Welcome to the forum! I am hoping to see you around , well, I already am. 8)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 22nd, '09, 11:04

by jjb » Jul 22nd, '09, 11:04

Thanks for the welcome, Chip. It's a pretty nice place you keep here. Nice fresh paint this morning too...

Jul 22nd, '09, 16:14

Re: Introduction: a Burgeoning Theaholic

by Artemis » Jul 22nd, '09, 16:14

I'm from the South. Where are you looking for colleges? (You'd be applying around this fall, right?) I'm a potter and a writer (informally, but hopefully a spiffy degree will make me feel more comfortable saying either). :mrgreen: Welcome!

Jul 23rd, '09, 03:00

@Artemis

by jjb » Jul 23rd, '09, 03:00

Artemis wrote:Where are you looking for colleges?
For the sake of affordability, I'll be staying here in Missouri.
What field are you earning a degree in to meld pottery and writing? Sounds like a pretty cool combination.

Much thanks for the welcome,
Jacob.

Jul 23rd, '09, 06:39

by olivierco » Jul 23rd, '09, 06:39

Welcome!

Jul 23rd, '09, 10:41

@oilivierco

by jjb » Jul 23rd, '09, 10:41

Thanks for the welcome, Olivier!

Jul 25th, '09, 00:24

Re: Introduction: a Burgeoning Theaholic

by Sam. » Jul 25th, '09, 00:24

Bienvenue! I discovered tea at about your age, though I'm 21 now.

+ Post Reply