Good til the last drop?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Nov 11th, '09, 18:07
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 19:32
Location: The Bronx

Good til the last drop?

by clareandromeda » Nov 11th, '09, 18:07

This could go for all teas but..... I've been reading that those last few drops of water in the teapot are the best. How do you get them out? I wait until my last infusion and then I use the handle end of a spoon and lightly press the leaves against the end of the sasame screen. I don't do it for every infusion because I'm afraid to "bruise" the leaves. Does anyone else do this? Could I do this on every infusion?

User avatar
Nov 11th, '09, 18:46
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Chip » Nov 11th, '09, 18:46

By the time I get to the 5th steep, I don't think it makes much difference. I just pour in such a way that I get as much liquid as possible out of the leaves.

I don't know if I ever manipulate the leaves in the teapot except maybe in the case of gong fu style brewing of oolong.

User avatar
Nov 12th, '09, 15:46
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 19:32
Location: The Bronx

Re: Good til the last drop?

by clareandromeda » Nov 12th, '09, 15:46

Perhaps I am commiting some sort of tea crime by doing this?

User avatar
Nov 12th, '09, 17:50
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 28th, '08, 20:14

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Oni » Nov 12th, '09, 17:50

I just shake, rattle, and roll.

User avatar
Nov 12th, '09, 18:42
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Chip » Nov 12th, '09, 18:42

... come to think of it, I had some Uji teabags from O-Cha (hghly recommended!) and used them when eating out. 3rd steep I throw it in the ice water and will squeeze the last bits of flavor out of it after several minutes ...

User avatar
Nov 12th, '09, 22:08
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 19:32
Location: The Bronx

Re: Good til the last drop?

by clareandromeda » Nov 12th, '09, 22:08

Chip I just think your trying to make me feel better... Every cheap grandma on a fixed income squeezes their tea bags (not that Im calling you a cheap grandma ;) )

Nov 12th, '09, 22:14
Posts: 965
Joined: Dec 17th, '08, 20:13
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Intuit » Nov 12th, '09, 22:14

>I've been reading that those last few drops of water in the teapot are the best.

Where did you read this?

User avatar
Nov 13th, '09, 03:00
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Chip » Nov 13th, '09, 03:00

Intuit, I first saw this reference in the Ippodo Gyokuro video I think. They do not squish, squeeze, squash the leaves, just diligently pour each last willing drop.
clareandro... wrote:Chip I just think your trying to make me feel better... Every cheap grandma on a fixed income squeezes their tea bags (not that Im calling you a cheap grandma ;) )
Yeah, but this is an unusual situation, and I really squeeze the suckas. Amazingly, this does not bitter the brew. I would not want to try this with the first nor second steeping however.

User avatar
Nov 13th, '09, 11:08
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 19:32
Location: The Bronx

Re: Good til the last drop?

by clareandromeda » Nov 13th, '09, 11:08

Intuit wrote:>I've been reading that those last few drops of water in the teapot are the best.

Where did you read this?

I feel like I've read this in a few places but can't remember where... maybe somewhere on the o-cha site?

User avatar
Nov 13th, '09, 13:53
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st, '09, 04:48
Location: Bangkok

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Tead Off » Nov 13th, '09, 13:53

I like to suck those last drops right out of the kyusu's spout. This way, my fingers or any other object never touches those precious leaves and contaminates them. :D

User avatar
Nov 14th, '09, 00:19
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 19:32
Location: The Bronx

Re: Good til the last drop?

by clareandromeda » Nov 14th, '09, 00:19

Tead Off wrote:I like to suck those last drops right out of the kyusu's spout. This way, my fingers or any other object never touches those precious leaves and contaminates them. :D
:lol:
hehhe thats a pretty funny picture, and actually sounds better than waiting for those last drips.

Although I think if anyone ever catches me doing that.... awkward.....

User avatar
Nov 14th, '09, 02:55
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st, '09, 04:48
Location: Bangkok

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Tead Off » Nov 14th, '09, 02:55

clareandromeda wrote:
Tead Off wrote:I like to suck those last drops right out of the kyusu's spout. This way, my fingers or any other object never touches those precious leaves and contaminates them. :D
:lol:
hehhe thats a pretty funny picture, and actually sounds better than waiting for those last drips.

Although I think if anyone ever catches me doing that.... awkward.....
If friends are over, I like to pass the kyusu around so they can all have a suck. :lol:

Nov 14th, '09, 04:20

Re: Good til the last drop?

by brlarson » Nov 14th, '09, 04:20

clareandromeda wrote:
Intuit wrote:>I've been reading that those last few drops of water in the teapot are the best.

Where did you read this?

I feel like I've read this in a few places but can't remember where... maybe somewhere on the o-cha site?
Ippodo is the only site where I have seen that recommendation. You can find it here: http://www.ippodo-tea.co.jp/en/tea/gyokuro_01.html Keep hitting the `Next' button until you reach page number 4.

User avatar
Nov 14th, '09, 04:21
Posts: 281
Joined: May 30th, '08, 04:23
Location: indianapolis

Re: Good til the last drop?

by Smells_Familiar » Nov 14th, '09, 04:21

tead, you could quickly slap a rubber nipple on that spout before passing it around. :lol:
just sayin...

User avatar
Nov 16th, '09, 23:37
Posts: 292
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 19:32
Location: The Bronx

Re: Good til the last drop?

by clareandromeda » Nov 16th, '09, 23:37

So I gave my banko a good suck and it was a strange experience... I was expecting little drops and I got steam. It was strange but I think I liked it ;)

...And I wasn't abusing any leaves but getting every last vapor of goodness... Tead I think you have helped me aquire another strange habit (One that includes only eating ice cream out of cartons, while in my bed under the covers)