Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

User avatar
Mar 29th 10 6:59 pm
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 28th 10 6:31 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by plant partaker » Mar 29th 10 6:59 pm

I was curious if any one has tried this tea and re steeped it. I tried to re steep it at the same temperature and time(212 5min.) but it came out horrible.How long and what temperature should i re steep this oolong?

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 5:38 am
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 28th 08 8:14 pm

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Oni » Mar 30th 10 5:38 am

Generally teas named Mambo Jumbo, Bolero, and freaky names like this do not taste good.

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 6:30 am
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 28th 10 6:31 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by plant partaker » Mar 30th 10 6:30 am

I enjoyed the first infusion, but the second one was gross.

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 1:25 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Chip » Mar 30th 10 1:25 pm

I will have to give this one a try today or tomorrow.
Oni wrote:Generally teas named Mambo Jumbo, Bolero, and freaky names like this do not taste good.
Welcome to mainstream tea. However even Chinese and Japanese teas often have romanticized names.

Who can blame a company interested in targetting a much larger sector of the potential tea market? ~99% of mainstream Westerners are not likely to purchase a tea with an authentic Chinese or Japanese name (at least until they are enlightened by a site like TeaChat ... which is a bit of a "freaky name" in itself). :mrgreen:

It is more a matter of selecting the right vendors for the individual.

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 6:51 pm
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 28th 10 6:31 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by plant partaker » Mar 30th 10 6:51 pm

Really? Thanks for the information Chip.I thought Huang Jin Bolero was an authentic name. Please explain

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 6:54 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Chip » Mar 30th 10 6:54 pm

plant partaker wrote:Really? Thanks for the information Chip.I thought Huang Jin Bolero was an authentic name. Please explain
Huang Jin, yes an authentic Chinese name for an oolong, Bolero is musical ... as is Adagio. So this name combines both.

Adagio is using more of the Chinese/Japanese in their names lately.

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 6:56 pm
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 28th 10 6:31 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by plant partaker » Mar 30th 10 6:56 pm

Is this just a marketing scheme? I didn't even know what bolero means.It sounded authentic to me :lol:

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 6:59 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Chip » Mar 30th 10 6:59 pm

Here is a vendor's full Chinese name. It means golden osmanthus, named for its aroma ... thus a descriptive name. Some vendors would use the English translation.

http://www.teaspring.com/Huang-Jin-Gui.asp

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 7:03 pm
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 28th 10 6:31 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by plant partaker » Mar 30th 10 7:03 pm

Thanks Chip. I've never heard of that vendor before. Have you had there teas ?

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 7:23 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Chip » Mar 30th 10 7:23 pm

I have had a bunch of their greens. I think they have a very good rep for Chinese greens in general.

I did have a few of their oolong. I think if you stick with the Chinese oolong, you should be OK. I won't be buying their Taiwanese oolong. :wink:

User avatar
Mar 30th 10 7:50 pm
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 28th 10 6:31 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by plant partaker » Mar 30th 10 7:50 pm

Thanks for the recommendations on the vendor, it is much appreciated.

User avatar
Apr 1st 10 6:39 pm
Posts: 2000
Joined: Mar 3rd 09 10:18 pm

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by entropyembrace » Apr 1st 10 6:39 pm

Bolero is a slow, romantic style of music from Spain which has also spread to the Americas :)

gf and I like dancing to it sometimes :D

May 16th 10 3:14 am
Posts: 24
Joined: Jul 7th 07 5:31 am

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Elle » May 16th 10 3:14 am

Necromancy, but: I just christened a new waiting-to-find-out-if-it's-yixing teapot with this. I too tried it at 5 minutes the first time (in my usual mug and strainer) and thought it was a little overdone - 4 minutes was much better.

User avatar
May 16th 10 3:24 am
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Adagio's Huang Jin Bolero

by Victoria » May 16th 10 3:24 am

Better yet at 3. :wink: