Wanting to get a matcha for the first time.

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 27th, '10, 07:41

Wanting to get a matcha for the first time.

by holly » May 27th, '10, 07:41

Hello all, I am a tea newbie and am really itching to try a good matcha green tea. The prices are all over and I really don't know what to look for! Any tips on what to look for when purchasing a matcha would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

May 27th, '10, 09:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Wanting to get a matcha for the first time.

by Victoria » May 27th, '10, 09:25

I would recommend Den's - they are here in CA and ship fast. I love their Matcha Miyabi. Also the green tea starter kit is a great deal at $3 to add on to your order. You are getting quality tea from Japan with fast local delivery. It's great.
http://www.denstea.com/

Oh as for the tips, well it's usually all about the color. It should be a bright green, if it looks unappealing and drab, it usually is.

May 27th, '10, 17:19

by holly » May 27th, '10, 17:19

Thank you! That looks great; I've put it in my tea bookmark tab. :) I want to order a genmaicha too! I adore genmaicha; it's new to me and was amazing! Like green tea hot cereal.

Sep 8th, '10, 19:47

by qaymar23 » Sep 8th, '10, 19:47

Victoria wrote:I would recommend Den's - they are here in CA and ship fast. I love their Matcha Miyabi. Also the green tea starter kit is a great deal at $3 to add on to your order. You are getting quality tea from Japan with fast local delivery. It's great.

Oh as for the tips, well it's usually all about the color. It should be a bright green, if it looks unappealing and drab, it usually is.
I wish I had read this first before I made my purchase. Do you have any suggestions for making the Hibiki Matcha Pinnacle. I am a matcha newbie and after 4 attempts I am still making a bitter brew. I have all the correct items to make the matcha and I have followed the sites directions- 3 oz water, 2 scoops of matcha, at 185F, wisk like crazy until I get little bubbles, but when I taste it oh man it is bitter. The aftertaste is o.k. first time great but each time after, the aftertaste is there for a minute and then gone. I have gotten a couple of replies one to try more water and less matcha and I will see how that works, but I am hoping for additional suggestions from folks who seems to have a handle on making good matcha. Thank you.

Sep 8th, '10, 20:05

by entropyembrace » Sep 8th, '10, 20:05

Victoria wrote: Oh as for the tips, well it's usually all about the color. It should be a bright green, if it looks unappealing and drab, it usually is.
That´s good advice...my first matcha I bought the greenest I could buy locally and I´ve been happy with it as an introduction :) I have some a bit more expensive coming from O-cha that I´m looking forward to.

Sep 8th, '10, 22:37

by Mr. Usaji » Sep 8th, '10, 22:37

I don't know much about matcha, but I recommend Den's "Genmaicha Extra Green" (genmaicha with a little matcha added). It's included in their sample. Their regular genmaicha ("Genmaicha Satsuki") seemed lacking in flavor, and not really better than supermarket brands.

Sep 8th, '10, 22:58

by iannon » Sep 8th, '10, 22:58

Mr. Usaji wrote:I don't know much about matcha, but I recommend Den's "Genmaicha Extra Green" (genmaicha with a little matcha added). It's included in their sample. Their regular genmaicha ("Genmaicha Satsuki") seemed lacking in flavor, and not really better than supermarket brands.
+1..i like the extra green as well. also the Miyabi that Vic mentioned. To me it was a fairly easy brewing melow matcha

Sep 9th, '10, 13:24

by TwoPynts » Sep 9th, '10, 13:24

iannon wrote:+1..i like the extra green as well. also the Miyabi that Vic mentioned. To me it was a fairly easy brewing melow matcha
+2. I recently got their green sampler and had the xtra green yesterday. Loved it and it went for 3 infusions. :)

Sep 9th, '10, 18:56

by britt » Sep 9th, '10, 18:56

holly wrote:Hello all, I am a tea newbie and am really itching to try a good matcha green tea. The prices are all over and I really don't know what to look for! Any tips on what to look for when purchasing a matcha would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
There are plenty of good vendors that sell quality matcha so your personal taste and budget is what sets the limits. O-Cha has a great variety of matcha that covers the full price spectrum from the Kiri No Mori at the lower end and Uji Matcha Manten at the top end. I think both are exceptional for their respective price ranges and the Manten is the best I've ever had at any price.

You can also get good genmaicha from many of these same vendors. Some vendors have it in teabags which are surprisingly good if you plan on just brewing it in a cup or mug.

I personally recommend considering purchasing your matcha abd genmaicha direct from Japan as delivery is usually pretty quick even when using regular airmail, and very fast if paying the extra for Express Mail. If you wish to purchase your tea from Japan but wish to minimize shipping costs, make sure you select a vendor that offers regular airmail (not SAL). I personally feel you get consistently fresher tea by importing.

Some vendors that have excellent tea and offer regular airmail shipping are O-Cha, Zencha, and Yuuki-cha. Another that has excellent teabags and offers regular airmail is Hibiki-an.

Sep 9th, '10, 22:31

by entropyembrace » Sep 9th, '10, 22:31

an advantage of zencha is that if you go with regular airmail shipping is included in the price of the tea...is really nice for ordering in small quantities where shipping is usually a lot next to the price of the tea. even with the shipping included it seems you get a good level of quality for the price compared to other vendors.
O-cha is my other fav...they have discounts for repeat customers and a good selection of affordable teaware
i think both have very good and fresh tea :)

Sep 12th, '10, 01:07

by rdl » Sep 12th, '10, 01:07

entropyembrace wrote:an advantage of zencha is that if you go with regular airmail shipping is included in the price of the tea...is really nice for ordering in small quantities where shipping is usually a lot next to the price of the tea. even with the shipping included it seems you get a good level of quality for the price compared to other vendors.
O-cha is my other fav...they have discounts for repeat customers and a good selection of affordable teaware
i think both have very good and fresh tea :)
entropyembrace, did you try zencha's entry level matcha moe? curious how you found it? would you recommend it to others?

Sep 12th, '10, 01:13

by entropyembrace » Sep 12th, '10, 01:13

rdl wrote: entropyembrace, did you try zencha's entry level matcha moe? curious how you found it? would you recommend it to others?
I´ve only tried their Fuga super premium sencha which is very good.

I do plan on ordering the matcha moe in the future though.

Sep 12th, '10, 02:49

by Kunkali » Sep 12th, '10, 02:49

What about this: http://www.umami-chaya.com/yame-matcha- ... p-190.html

Anyone ever had it?

Sep 12th, '10, 04:02

by MadeForTeaVea » Sep 12th, '10, 04:02

Victoria wrote:I would recommend Den's - they are here in CA and ship fast. I love their Matcha Miyabi. Also the green tea starter kit is a great deal at $3 to add on to your order. You are getting quality tea from Japan with fast local delivery. It's great.

Their prices don't seem bad at all. I have never order from them but I'm thinking I'm going to have to spend some of my birthday money on some tea from them. Any other suggestions besides matcha?

Sep 12th, '10, 04:33

by Kunkali » Sep 12th, '10, 04:33

Their green kukicha is great and I have their tencha houji kukicha coming in the mail along with their sampler

+ Post Reply