Jul 31st, '10, 05:32

Marking your teacanisters

by Marco » Jul 31st, '10, 05:32

Hello all,

how do you mark your tea-cannisters?
I wonder what would be practicable.
If you have really nice cannisters a label on them wouldn't be good because it looks bad. But what to do? I don't want to open everyone if I search for one of my teas.

any suggestions?

Cheers
Marco

Jul 31st, '10, 05:46
Vendor Member

Re: Marking your teacanisters

by IPT » Jul 31st, '10, 05:46

Traditionally in China, we cut a long piece of red paper and write the name of the tea on the strip of paper and close the lid on the end of the strip of paper, so that the paper hangs down the front of the canister. It looks quite nice and that way, when you empty the container, you can easily just change the paper to a different type of tea.

Jul 31st, '10, 08:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 31st, '10, 08:56

Post-ems work very nicely and come off w/o marring the canister.

Jul 31st, '10, 12:04

by Victoria » Jul 31st, '10, 12:04

IPT wrote:Traditionally in China, we cut a long piece of red paper and write the name of the tea on the strip of paper and close the lid on the end of the strip of paper, so that the paper hangs down the front of the canister. It looks quite nice and that way, when you empty the container, you can easily just change the paper to a different type of tea.
I can picture that on a row of black canisters.
Wish I had the room to display my teas.

Jul 31st, '10, 12:15

by Geekgirl » Jul 31st, '10, 12:15

IPT wrote:Traditionally in China, we cut a long piece of red paper and write the name of the tea on the strip of paper and close the lid on the end of the strip of paper, so that the paper hangs down the front of the canister.

!!!

I LOVE this!

Jul 31st, '10, 12:53

by wyardley » Jul 31st, '10, 12:53

I use an electronic labeler; usually try to put the name of the tea, the source, the time / place of harvest if known, and the month / year I obtained it. If it's something where I really don't want to mess up the look of the canister, I'll label the bottom, but usually I just put it on the front or top.

Jul 31st, '10, 14:23

by Katy1977 » Jul 31st, '10, 14:23

IPT wrote:Traditionally in China, we cut a long piece of red paper and write the name of the tea on the strip of paper and close the lid on the end of the strip of paper, so that the paper hangs down the front of the canister. It looks quite nice and that way, when you empty the container, you can easily just change the paper to a different type of tea.
Great idea, I think I will do this too. :)

Katy1977

Jul 31st, '10, 14:38

by Marco » Jul 31st, '10, 14:38

Sounds really great. Can you show me a picture of that? I think that is a good idea.
Chip wrote:Post-ems work very nicely and come off w/o marring the canister.
But I wouldn't like the look. Or do you put it on the bottom of the cannister?
wyardley wrote:I use an electronic labeler; usually try to put the name of the tea, the source, the time / place of harvest if known, and the month / year I obtained it. If it's something where I really don't want to mess up the look of the canister, I'll label the bottom, but usually I just put it on the front or top.
I haven't got a labeler. But labeling the bottom of the cannister was on my mind. Sole problem with this is that you would have to lift up every cannister if you search for a specific tea.

Jul 31st, '10, 15:28

by britt » Jul 31st, '10, 15:28

I use double-lidded caddies for most of my tea storage. The Chinese teas, which I buy from Hou De and Jing Tea Shop, come with a paper label with the tea info written on it. I tear it off the bag and put it between the 2 lids of the caddy. I do have to remove the outer lid to see what type of tea it contains, but I don't have to touch the inner lid and I won't forget which is which if I have 2 similar types of tea in two containers at the same time.

Jul 31st, '10, 17:23

by Chip » Jul 31st, '10, 17:23

Marco wrote:
Chip wrote:Post-ems work very nicely and come off w/o marring the canister.
But I wouldn't like the look. Or do you put it on the bottom of the cannister?
Welll, since you asked, lookee here ... http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... hi#p149958
I use the small sample tins for 95% of all open tea, place the post em on the top, then for most I place them into a decorative Japanese washi style canister ... and there are many styles. So, I know what is in each canister basically. I am quite AR/OCD about this ... deep steamed is in a black one, mid steamed in a mid tone one, and light steamed in a light colored one. :lol:

Each canister holds, 1, 2, or 3 of these sample tins. Works for me since I like to use washi, but don't like to dump tea into the oft too large washi canister. I also like these sample tins because they are completely seamless and small!

Here is a camera photo ...
I also have a shelf with just these sample tins of teas that I do not use often enough to justify putting them in the washi, they are not visible ... so no biggie.

Aug 1st, '10, 05:38

by Marco » Aug 1st, '10, 05:38

Ahhh Chip - and I thought ... - but it wouldn't go with you just to put post-ems on the cannisters :)

This sounds like a great great idea too. How do you match the inner tins and the washi cannisters? There are a lot of sizes of the washi cannisters and I guess of tins too.

Aug 4th, '10, 09:00
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 4th, '10, 09:00

Sorry this took so long. This is how I mark my tea canisters. This is a large one, but I do the same for small ones and metal ones as well. They look fantastic on a shelf and are easily replaced. I write in Chinese on mine, but English could just as easily be used.
Attachments
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

Aug 4th, '10, 09:20

by Victoria » Aug 4th, '10, 09:20

Love it!

Aug 4th, '10, 09:29
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 4th, '10, 09:29

Thank you Victoria.

Aug 4th, '10, 09:40

by Chip » Aug 4th, '10, 09:40

Very ... ummm, Chinese! :mrgreen: I can envision a large shelf with many of these!

What do you store in these, are they loose lids or airtight? Thanks for sharing!

+ Post Reply