Oolong bing

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 15th 10 3:24 pm
Posts: 183
Joined: May 31st 08 3:52 pm

Oolong bing

by Ti » Aug 15th 10 3:24 pm

Does any one here buy oolong in bings? Does some oolong get better with age like puerh?

User avatar
Aug 15th 10 5:03 pm
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Oolong bing

by debunix » Aug 15th 10 5:03 pm

I've never bought an oolong in bings or beengs, but I have tasted some aged oolongs, and while I didn't enjoy their flavor enough to pay the extra price, there was a tart, winey, fruitiness that was very nice in both some aged TGY and Da Hong Pao. I've seen aged versions of traditional darker roast oolongs--Wuyis, TGY, and Dan Congs--but the lighter green floral styles don't age well.

Aug 15th 10 5:18 pm
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th 06 5:42 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

Re: Oolong bing

by Proinsias » Aug 15th 10 5:18 pm

I had a bing of wuyi from teaspring a few years ago which was ok, I think I've finished it now, or gave the rest of it away. Nothing outstanding but gave a decent wuyi hit as you'd expect from $10 or so for a fairly small cake.

Hou de has a nice 70's oolong tuo, lovely medicinal flavours and has quite a bit of endurance.

User avatar
Aug 15th 10 5:22 pm
Posts: 763
Joined: Jun 7th 08 3:47 pm

Re: Oolong bing

by britt » Aug 15th 10 5:22 pm

I've tried several of Hou De's aged oolongs and was quite impressed with them. I don't buy them very often and I don't drink them daily, but sometimes I do feel like them especially in the winter. The 1994 aged Zheng-Cong Tie Guan Yin comes to mind as one of the more impressive ones.

User avatar
Aug 15th 10 6:03 pm
Posts: 117
Joined: Jul 13th 10 8:15 pm
Location: NY

Re: Oolong bing

by Katy1977 » Aug 15th 10 6:03 pm

Bing–noun- British Dialect- a heap or pile.

Is this what you mean by a "bing of tea"? Wow, you learn something new everyday, and I thought Bing was a search engine lol. :)

Katy1977

Aug 15th 10 6:12 pm
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mar 19th 06 5:42 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch

Re: Oolong bing

by Proinsias » Aug 15th 10 6:12 pm

bing cha/beeng cha means a compressed tea cake, usually pu'erh. Like this:
Image
in contrast to say a tuo cha, bird's nest tea:
Image

User avatar
Aug 15th 10 8:57 pm
Posts: 117
Joined: Jul 13th 10 8:15 pm
Location: NY

Re: Oolong bing

by Katy1977 » Aug 15th 10 8:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification Proinsias. :)

Katy1977

Aug 16th 10 9:49 pm
Posts: 183
Joined: May 31st 08 3:52 pm

Re: Oolong bing

by Ti » Aug 16th 10 9:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the mis-spelling of beeng.

Aug 16th 10 11:10 pm
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug 15th 10 6:32 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: USA

Re: Oolong bing

by Mr. Usaji » Aug 16th 10 11:10 pm

The pinyin is "bing," right? And you can always say "cake" unless you feel like being a jargonaut/sinophile...

User avatar
Aug 17th 10 1:32 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Nov 13th 09 3:16 pm
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China

Re: Oolong bing

by IPT » Aug 17th 10 1:32 am

yes, the pinyin is "Bing".