First taste of Pu Erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 31st, '10, 09:23

First taste of Pu Erh

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 31st, '10, 09:23

After asking for advice from tea drinkers from this and another forum I haunt that loves its tea drinkers, combined with some incredibly helpful service from Steve over at Jas-eTea, I have bought my first pu and gaiwan. I tried to post a picture of my new pretty pretties, but I'm getting a "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" message.

Anyway, here's what I have: a gaiwan/cup set, Menghai V93, and Dayi Gong Tuo, all form Jas-eTea. For the fairness pitcher, I realized I have a clear glass Bodum teapot in the cabinet. Once upon a time, it had an insert that I quickly broke when I dropped it in the sink while washing it. :roll: But it makes a nice fairness pitcher. And a little nostalgic since it was my very first teapot and a gift from my wonderful dh when I first started tea.

Anyway, dh and I tried the V93 last night. I know, not exactly high-end stuff, but perfect for getting started. I wasn't sure that I liked it at first. It was just so unlike anything we've ever had before, but with each brewing it grew and grew on me. Kind of earthy with a little sweetness.

It was a nice time for dh and I to just mill around and talk about our day while trying something new.

Aug 31st, '10, 10:05

Re: First taste of Pu Erh

by auhckw » Aug 31st, '10, 10:05

Sounded like you lost your v*rg*n*ty :mrgreen:

Congrats and glad you liked it. So what's next? Try raw?

Aug 31st, '10, 10:07

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 31st, '10, 10:07

I'm thinking so. When we use some more of this up, try another ripe or two and get a raw or two with it. Tea tasting is fun. :wink:

Aug 31st, '10, 10:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 31st, '10, 10:08

Outstanding! Sounds like you got the pu-bug!

BTW, regarding the photos, sounds like they are too large to post. You will have to resize them. I recommend 500 pixels wide max. Or if you are using a photo host site like photobucket, perhaps you are using the wrong url.

Let me know if I can help you. :mrgreen:

Aug 31st, '10, 10:17

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 31st, '10, 10:17

Chip wrote:Outstanding! Sounds like you got the pu-bug!

BTW, regarding the photos, sounds like they are too large to post. You will have to resize them. I recommend 500 pixels wide max. Or if you are using a photo host site like photobucket, perhaps you are using the wrong url.

Let me know if I can help you. :mrgreen:
I will go work on that right now.

Aug 31st, '10, 10:19

by auhckw » Aug 31st, '10, 10:19

Crafty_Mom wrote:I'm thinking so. When we use some more of this up, try another ripe or two and get a raw or two with it. Tea tasting is fun. :wink:
Careful when selecting young raw. Some are quite strong or too young to drink. Not everyone can take the harshness.

Initially I thought i liked raw, but then after tasting ripe... my preference changed to ripe. I have just tasted some aged raw, though better than young raw, it somehow lacks the ripe taste. I guess I am a ripe guy :D

Edit: If you plan to try another ripe or two, here are some suggestion

Dragon Pole * Menghai Dayi Pu-erh Tea 2009 357g Ripe
Menghai "Da Yi Gong Tuo" Premium Pu-erh Tea 2010 100g Ripe
Menghai Dayi Golden Neddle White Lotus 2007 357g Ripe
Royal Court * Menghai Dayi Pu-erh Tea 2009 200g Ripe

These are quite good young ripe. I recently tasted quite a lot of young ripe from dayi, but concluded that the 4 above is my fav in sequence from top down.

Aug 31st, '10, 10:24

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 31st, '10, 10:24

Aha! Victory! It didn't like a phrase in the url AND it was ever so slightly big.

OK, on the left is the V93, on right is the Dayi Gong. The clear pot is what I'm using as a fairness pitcher at the moment. The stick in the back is of course the little poker/pryer tool. And then my itty bitty gaiwan with my teeny tiny cups. :D All sitting on the counter that I hate and can't wait to replace.

Tada!

Aug 31st, '10, 10:39

by auhckw » Aug 31st, '10, 10:39

If you have not tried raw before, go try the old recipe like 7542. This is known to be the standard. I was told that everyone who drinks pu must at least try it, as it is classic.

Besides 7542 you may want to try these young raw:-

Organic Mt. Bada * Menghai Dayi Puer Tea 2010 357g Raw - nice / not too strong / can be drank now / no smoky

Tribution Tuo * Menghai Dayi Pu-erh Tea 2009 100g Ripe - nice / not too strong / can be drank now / no smoky

Year of Tiger * Menghai Taetea Puer Tea 2010 357g Raw - quite strong / may need to keep a few years to let it be smoother / no smoky

PS: I'm also new to pu, but recently tasted few and concluded the above are my preference for new ripe/raw pu. Also I'm a Dayi guy :) Don't like new Xiaguan as they tend to have smoky taste/smell.

Aug 31st, '10, 10:50

by MadeForTeaVea » Aug 31st, '10, 10:50

Crafty_Mom wrote:Image

Aha! Victory! It didn't like a phrase in the url AND it was ever so slightly big.

OK, on the left is the V93, on right is the Dayi Gong. The clear pot is what I'm using as a fairness pitcher at the moment. The stick in the back is of course the little poker/pryer tool. And then my itty bitty gaiwan with my teeny tiny cups. :D All sitting on the counter that I hate and can't wait to replace.

Tada!
Nice rig. I'm jealous. I really need to get a new nice set. But atlas school has used up all my money and now I'm a broke tea lover :(

Aug 31st, '10, 11:22

by TwoPynts » Aug 31st, '10, 11:22

Congrats on entering the world of Pu!
I'm new to it as well and have found getting samples first is the way to go. It is easier on the wallet and if you don't like a tea, you don't have as much of it around. My tea set looks quite similar to yours. :)

Aug 31st, '10, 20:44

by bagua7 » Aug 31st, '10, 20:44

Congrats for entering the world of PU. :)

Take it easy with them because they aren't easy especially if you start to play the aged ones. Stick to the young crowd first until you get used to drinking puerh. I am telling you this from my own experience. I started with a 10yr old shen (green) cake, it was way too full on. Now I am drinking a much younger puerh in maocha form (loose loose-leaf raw puerh) until I get the hang of it.

Enjoy!

Sep 4th, '10, 22:59

by Crafty_Mom » Sep 4th, '10, 22:59

In a mini-update, I'm now able to pour from the gaiwan into the fairness pitcher without spilling all over the counter and (mostly) without burning my fingers. :lol:

Sep 5th, '10, 08:21

by laura99 » Sep 5th, '10, 08:21

Crafty_Mom wrote:In a mini-update, I'm now able to pour from the gaiwan into the fairness pitcher without spilling all over the counter and (mostly) without burning my fingers. :lol:
Congrats! I just got my first gaiwan recently as well, and after my first session I was convinced I just could not use this method. I was surprised after sticking with it for a bit that it actually works :). (still come close to burning the fingers though)

Sep 5th, '10, 08:28

by auhckw » Sep 5th, '10, 08:28

When taking up the gaiwan and then pouring... using one hands or both hands?

I somehow have to use both hands to pickup the gaiwan, then using one hand to hold the gaiwan to pour. I have seen people using one hand for the whole process

Sep 5th, '10, 09:00

by apache » Sep 5th, '10, 09:00

auhckw wrote:When taking up the gaiwan and then pouring... using one hands or both hands?

I somehow have to use both hands to pickup the gaiwan, then using one hand to hold the gaiwan to pour. I have seen people using one hand for the whole process
I was just about asking the same question :wink: .

I use both hands, and I think only real harden tea drinkers and tea professionals would use one hand. What more I think they can use 2 gaiwans at the same time, one for each hand. I'm just an amateur tea drinker.

+ Post Reply