Golden Needle White Lotus: compression as brick vs. bing

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 31st, '10, 17:43
Scrolling: fixed

Golden Needle White Lotus: compression as brick vs. bing

by xmfi » Aug 31st, '10, 17:43

Does anyone have experience with Golden Needle White Lotus in both the brick and bing form? I've only had it as a brick and was wondering if the bing might be less heavily compressed. Thanks!

Aug 31st, '10, 17:53

Re: Golden Needle White Lotus: compression as brick vs. bing

by tingjunkie » Aug 31st, '10, 17:53

Shu tends to be more compressed than sheng in general, but I've had no problems prying off what I need from the cake. Sometimes a small tuocha pick works wonders too.

Aug 31st, '10, 19:52
Scrolling: fixed

by xmfi » Aug 31st, '10, 19:52

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I've been using a pick with the brick as well-- I haven't really had any trouble getting enough off, but it often comes with more damage to the leaves than I'd like. Will go with the bing next time.

Aug 31st, '10, 20:29

by debunix » Aug 31st, '10, 20:29

I've had a heck of a time getting the brick broken up, and from very limited experience with 4 or 5 bricks and a close to a dozen beengs, the beengs in general are a lot easier to work with than the bricks. Something about the brick invites a tighter compression--maybe associated with the desire to stamp designs into it and have them stand out sharp and clear?

I finally bought a letter opener for home and work that is doubling as a puerh pick. Haven't tried it on a tough brick yet, but it worked nicely on a beeng and some cylindrical bamboo aged Yi Wu today.

Sep 4th, '10, 19:55

by zeusmta » Sep 4th, '10, 19:55

I have not had the brick, but I've gone through a few of the beengs. In my experience the compression is pretty high toward the center of the cake, but not so high on the outer rim of the cake.

+ Post Reply