Storage issue regarding 04 Changtai Yiwu Zhengpin

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 13th, '10, 16:54

Storage issue regarding 04 Changtai Yiwu Zhengpin

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 13th, '10, 16:54

A few weeks ago I saw a sample listed at Red Lantern - the 2004 Changtai Yiwu Zhengpin blue stamp edition. I'd heard of it before, so I grabbed a sample. The description claimed that it was dry stored. When the sample arrived, it had a powerful stinky-mold smell, which had me on edge. The flavor of the tea was very dark and moldy as well, so much so that I really couldn't taste that many other flavors. The liquor was very dark for a pu-erh of 6 years(even though it had maocha from 2002-2003 in it) I wrote the owner of the shop and told him that I was concerned about wet storage. he wrote back saying it was indeed dry stored. I'm not entirely convinced though, but I've also never knowingly had a wet stored pu-erh. so what gives?

Sep 13th, '10, 17:56

Re: Storage issue regarding 04 Changtai Yiwu Zhengpin

by MarshalN » Sep 13th, '10, 17:56

It's rather hard to tell without pictures. However, I should first say that wet storage, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. It won't kill you, and there are certainly no real health issues to worry about. The matter is mostly one of taste.

Having said that... lots of teas that have some years under their belt, particularly if stored in wetter climates, will have a slight moldy smell. Red Lantern, if it's the eBay seller you're talking about, is based in Canton, which means they are likely to have stored their tea in a wetter climate, possibility with high humidity. So, even though it's 'dry' stored, it may very well be 'wet' by your definition. Since you haven't had any before, however, it's really hard to tell. What's your experience with aged puerh in general?

Sep 13th, '10, 18:18

by alan logan » Sep 13th, '10, 18:18

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:...it had a powerful stinky-mold smell, which had me on edge. The flavor of the tea was very dark and moldy as well, so much so that I really couldn't taste that many other flavors.
this suggests a cake that was not so much wet- vs dry-stored, than just bad-stored. possibly wet-bad-stored.

Of course it would also depend on your own tolerance to some flavors and on your "taste history". only you know. maybe you have been punched in the palate by a small humid hint, or maybe there is something rotten in this cake.
but even if I assume you are not a 15 years' drinker, well, stinky-mold... that tells you may not be ready to buy a tong of this. :wink:

wet/dry is a relative couple and "wet" is used to mean many things, with sometimes pejorative meaning. so just reading "wet stored" or "dry stored" does not tell you much, it just raises questions (how wet ? how dry ? how about ventilation ? and so on...).

sampling when possible is always a good idea, particularly online.

Sep 14th, '10, 04:53

by sp1key » Sep 14th, '10, 04:53

Like MarshalN mentioned, wet stored isn't necessarily a bad thing provided its being stored properly by experienced merchants. With your piece, you might want to try breaking up a small portion and let it breathe/air a bit before your next brew. It might help reduce those unpleasant smell.

I happen to have both dry and wet version of this tea, you can compare the pictures to start with.
Dry: http://puerhcollection.blogspot.com/200 ... ue_06.html
Wet: http://puerhcollection.blogspot.com/200 ... -blue.html

Sep 14th, '10, 11:09

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 14th, '10, 11:09

MarshalN wrote: What's your experience with aged puerh in general?
I haven't had much experience at all. the only thing I've had that is sort of close to aged pu-erh is this changtai along with with the 2005 version, as well as a few other cake samples from 2005 (jinuo shan, mengku area, etc..). the only true aged teas I have are various wuyi yancha.
Alan log... wrote:but even if I assume you are not a 15 years' drinker, well, stinky-mold... that tells you may not be ready to buy a tong of this.
Pretty much, yeah. I'm basically letting it sit to see how it changes.

sp1key wrote:Like MarshalN mentioned, wet stored isn't necessarily a bad thing provided its being stored properly by experienced merchants. With your piece, you might want to try breaking up a small portion and let it breathe/air a bit before your next brew. It might help reduce those unpleasant smell.
I understand that some people like wet-stored pu-erh. It was just that the vendor claimed dry storage, and I had a pretty good idea of what dry storage would be like- the flavor caught me by surprise. If this is dry stored, then it's a new addition to my understanding of the already limitless flavors that a raw pu-erh can have. As for letting the tea breathe, I had set aside some leaves for 5 days before brewing them.

Sep 14th, '10, 11:14

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 14th, '10, 11:14

also @ sp1key - After looking at those pictures you have linked, I believe mine looks like the wet stored, as the leaves are a touch darker and the buds hint more towards a dark orange/gold color. Pictures can only say so much, however...

+ Post Reply