How to prevent insects infesting puerh storage?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 20th, '10, 09:27

by auhckw » Oct 20th, '10, 09:27

Will insects nest in puerh?

What kinds of insects?

Oct 20th, '10, 11:40

Re: How to prevent insects infesting puerh storage?

by Sirwill » Oct 20th, '10, 11:40

I do know that insects might infest pu'erh, but I do not know which kind.
The best way to prevent insect infestation is to store it in a canister of some sort, usually yixing or earthenware.
That should do the trick if you are alright with dry storage.

As far as wet storage goes I have no experience, but I would just make sure the environment that you store the tea in is clean and all of the cakes are well wrapped in breathable paper.

Oct 20th, '10, 20:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Oct 20th, '10, 20:01

From the stuff I've read, the idea of tea having insect-repellent types of compounds comes up more frequently (that is, insects will tend not to be drawn to the tea).

I only recall maybe one story about some insects... but I don't remember where.

I have seen pictures of insects IN tea, but I think they were part of the picking and processing, and it's not clear they were consuming the tea.

But given all that, I think to the hundreds of pictures I've seen of open warehouses and shops with tea everywhere. Insects don't appear to be a problem there...

Oct 20th, '10, 22:39

by wyardley » Oct 20th, '10, 22:39

I think this happens mostly in a very humid environment. I have personally experienced tea that's had some critters in it (some of them still moving) - see an older thread on this same forum.

While some bugs do eat the tea itself, many will feed also (or instead) on the paper or bamboo wrappers.

And then, of course, there's the infamous poo puer.

Oct 21st, '10, 07:42

by Drax » Oct 21st, '10, 07:42

wyardley wrote:I think this happens mostly in a very humid environment. I have personally experienced tea that's had some critters in it (some of them still moving) - see an older thread on this same forum.

While some bugs do eat the tea itself, many will feed also (or instead) on the paper or bamboo wrappers.

And then, of course, there's the infamous poo puer.
Ah yeah, that's it... the paper/wrapper is often a more compelling target.

Isn't the poo puerh made by worms?

Nov 22nd, '10, 02:53

by auhckw » Nov 22nd, '10, 02:53

Yesterday I bought my 2004 - Xiag Guan Golden Ribbon. I was going through the boxes, and found some small worms in it which are still alive. Not many (as in 1 worm found in 1 box). Total worms killed 3.

The bigger wans are about 6mm (black colour), the small wans are about 2mm (white colour)

Hmmmmmm....

Nov 22nd, '10, 10:15

by auhckw » Nov 22nd, '10, 10:15

Ok, I think I finally found out what kind of worms I have seen in numerous Pu. May I introduce you...

Common Name: Silverfish, firebrat
Scientific Name: Lespisma sacchrina (Linnaeus)
Insect Order: Thysanura

More Photos: http://tinyurl.com/2ekcfp5

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/aimg2.html

Description: Silverfish are always wingless and are silvery to brown in color because their bodies are covered with fine scales. They are generally soft bodied. Adults are up to 3/4 inch long, flattened from top to bottom, elongated and oval in shape, have three long tail projections and two long antennae.

The firebrat, Thermobia domestica (Packard), is quite similar in habits but is generally darker in color. The firebrat prefers temperatures over 90 degrees F but has a similar high humidity requirement. It is common near heating pipes, fire places, ovens and other heat sources.

Life Cycle: Females lay eggs continuously after reaching the adult stage and may lay over 100 eggs during her life. Eggs are deposited singly or in small groups in cracks and crevices and hatch in 3 to weeks. Silverfish develop from egg to young to adult within 4 to 6 weeks and continue to molt throughout their life. Immature stages appear similar to adults except they are about 1/20 of an inch long when they first hatch and whitish in color, taking on the adults’ silver coloring as they grow. They are long-lived, surviving from two to eight years. Simple metamorphosis (egg, nymph, adult).

Habitat, Food Source(s): Silverfish are chewing insects and general feeders but prefer carbohydrates and protein, including flour, dried meat, rolled oats, paper and even glue. They and can survive long periods, sometimes over a year, without food but are sensitive to moisture and require a high humidity (75% to 90%) to survive. They also have a temperature preference between 70 and 80 degrees F. They are fast running and mostly active at night and generally prefer lower levels in homes, but may be found in attics.

Pest Status, Damage: Primarily a nuisance pest inside the home or buildings; can contaminate food, damage paper goods and stain clothing; medically harmless. Many of their habits are similar to cockroaches and they appear to be more common as household pests in drier parts of the state. Occasionally damage book bindings, curtains, wallpaper.

Nov 22nd, '10, 13:58

by beecrofter » Nov 22nd, '10, 13:58

A tight container like a trunk or cardboard box inside a plastic bag can be fumigated with dry ice, a high level of CO2 will kill most insects.
A thermos of dry ice with the lid left loose will emit gas for a few days.
Below is taken from the web (http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5042e/x5042E0o.htm)

"Insects are generally killed more rapidly by carbon dioxide than they are by lack of oxygen. A concentration of 6n percent carbon dioxide will give over 95 percent control of most stored grain insects after a fourday exposure at 27°C or higher (Jay, 1971); however, longer periods are needed for complete kill. Banks (1979) suggested that an initial level exceeding 70 percent carbon dioxide and maintained above 35 percent for ten days is appropriate for complete insect control at temperatures above 20°C. "

Nov 22nd, '10, 14:19

by edkrueger » Nov 22nd, '10, 14:19

Neat. I never thought of that.

Nov 22nd, '10, 18:57

by Sirwill » Nov 22nd, '10, 18:57

Hmmm. I wouldnt think I would like fumigating my pu'erh cakes with c02...But I guess whatever works.
auhckw wrote:
They and can survive long periods, sometimes over a year, without food but are sensitive to moisture and require a high humidity (75% to 90%) to survive. They also have a temperature preference between 70 and 80 degrees F. They are fast running and mostly active at night and generally prefer lower levels in homes, but may be found in attics.
Wouldnt this mean that dry stored pu should be clear of these insects?
Wet stored pu erh is always a gamble unless it is from a reputable source in my opinion haha

Nov 23rd, '10, 09:44

by Dass » Nov 23rd, '10, 09:44

auhckw wrote:Yesterday I bought my 2004 - Xiag Guan Golden Ribbon. I was going through the boxes, and found some small worms in it which are still alive. Not many (as in 1 worm found in 1 box). Total worms killed 3.

The bigger wans are about 6mm (black colour), the small wans are about 2mm (white colour)

Hmmmmmm....
When there is silver fish worm in the tea,it usually eats the paper and not the tea.For the worm to live in the tea/wrapper, it shows that the tea does not have pesticide and the paper is organic.I have seen tea where the worm has eaten all the paper in the front of the tea except the word which is printed in color.
Imagine looking at a tea where the words are properly cut out,no white paper at all.
So when you see this silver fish it ok.Because the run fast it will run away when you want to brew the tea.
I have many tea that has this.

Nov 30th, '10, 01:15

by GrandmasPuerhCakes » Nov 30th, '10, 01:15

auhckw wrote:Ok, I think I finally found out what kind of worms I have seen in numerous Pu. May I introduce you...

Common Name: Silverfish, firebrat
Scientific Name: Lespisma sacchrina (Linnaeus)
Insect Order: Thysanura

More Photos: http://tinyurl.com/2ekcfp5

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/aimg2.html

Description: Silverfish are always wingless and are silvery to brown in color because their bodies are covered with fine scales. They are generally soft bodied. Adults are up to 3/4 inch long, flattened from top to bottom, elongated and oval in shape, have three long tail projections and two long antennae.

The firebrat, Thermobia domestica (Packard), is quite similar in habits but is generally darker in color. The firebrat prefers temperatures over 90 degrees F but has a similar high humidity requirement. It is common near heating pipes, fire places, ovens and other heat sources.

Life Cycle: Females lay eggs continuously after reaching the adult stage and may lay over 100 eggs during her life. Eggs are deposited singly or in small groups in cracks and crevices and hatch in 3 to weeks. Silverfish develop from egg to young to adult within 4 to 6 weeks and continue to molt throughout their life. Immature stages appear similar to adults except they are about 1/20 of an inch long when they first hatch and whitish in color, taking on the adults’ silver coloring as they grow. They are long-lived, surviving from two to eight years. Simple metamorphosis (egg, nymph, adult).

Habitat, Food Source(s): Silverfish are chewing insects and general feeders but prefer carbohydrates and protein, including flour, dried meat, rolled oats, paper and even glue. They and can survive long periods, sometimes over a year, without food but are sensitive to moisture and require a high humidity (75% to 90%) to survive. They also have a temperature preference between 70 and 80 degrees F. They are fast running and mostly active at night and generally prefer lower levels in homes, but may be found in attics.

Pest Status, Damage: Primarily a nuisance pest inside the home or buildings; can contaminate food, damage paper goods and stain clothing; medically harmless. Many of their habits are similar to cockroaches and they appear to be more common as household pests in drier parts of the state. Occasionally damage book bindings, curtains, wallpaper.

I have killed loads of these similar insects in my room during the Summer, they seem to disappeared during the Winter now.

Where did they come from?

Nov 30th, '10, 09:57

by drumhum » Nov 30th, '10, 09:57

I've had tea with silverfish. I can confirm that you don't want them in your tea.

Its true they like to eat paper. I for one don't like to have holes in my tea wrappers. We'd be removing the wrappers ourselves if we thought they served no purpose!

There is some sort of starch they like to eat in the paper. They like dry organic food. I have a strong suspicion that tea is quite edible to them - even if its not their favourite dinner.

I have seen nests in my tea - sort of silky, spider-y web like stuff, that have clearly needed tea destruction to build. Whether they actually eat the tea or just chew it up to live in, I don't know. Either way, I've had a cake that was broken up on the edges by the little critters.

I doubt we'd die by silverfish, but IMO they are not welcome in the slightest.

I've attached some pics of my infested cake (I saw about three in there)
Attachments
IMG_2606_2.jpg
IMG_2606_2.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
IMG_2607_2_2.jpg
IMG_2607_2_2.jpg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
IMG_2624_2.jpg
IMG_2624_2.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

Nov 30th, '10, 10:11

by Drax » Nov 30th, '10, 10:11

Yikes (and gross)! Now I'm all paranoid and want to rush home and check my beengs......!

Nov 30th, '10, 14:19

by nickE » Nov 30th, '10, 14:19

Drax wrote:Yikes (and gross)! Now I'm all paranoid and want to rush home and check my beengs......!
Yeah that is somewhat frightening. While I was home last weekend I inspected all my bings with an LED flashlight. Took a while, but it was worth it! (no mold or critters here) :shock: :)

+ Post Reply