Collecting Puerh is like collecting Stamps

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 23rd, '10, 11:36

Collecting Puerh is like collecting Stamps

by auhckw » Oct 23rd, '10, 11:36

From the context of:-
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-people-c ... stamps.htm
I've replaced the word Stamps with Puerh,
People choose to collect Puerh for a variety of reasons. For some, the choice to collect Puerh is purely an economic decision. Since Puerh collecting is such a widespread phenomena around the world, it is possible for a wise hobbyist to collect Puerh and make a profit from his or her collection. For these hobbyists, the main objective is to collect Puerh that are rare or that were mistaken prints, as they fetch the greatest amount of profit.

For others, the motivation to collect Puerh is the pure joy of collecting. Locating and purchasing rare Puerh or Puerh needed to complete a particular type of collection provides the individual with a sense of accomplishment and pride. Just the pure joy of the hunt and the find is enough reason for some to collect Puerh.

Puerh collecting is also a great way to meet new friends who share a common interest. Therefore, some people who choose to collect Puerh do so for the camaraderie and the opportunity to share with others and to meet other people from around the world. With numerous Puerh collection conferences hosted annually throughout various countries and multiple forums and websites dedicated to those who collect Puerh, it is possible to create a broad circle of friends built around this hobby.

Some people also collect Puerh in order to commemorate special events or interests. For example, some may collect Puerh that follow a particular theme or that feature a particular item. A music fan, for example, may only collect Puerh that depict famous musicians. Similarly, a nature lover may collect Puerh with flowers and animals, or a history buff may collect Puerh designed to commemorate various important events in history.

For some, the Puerh themselves represent history. For these individuals, the choice to collect Puerh is based on the desire to maintain a living history of their country. Collecting rare Puerh dating back over a hundred years can help one gain a piece of living history.

Still others collect Puerh simply because they are intrigued by the many designs, pictures, and colors found on them. Similar to someone who collects art or antiques, some who collect Puerh do so simply for their aesthetic appeal and the joy they feel when looking at their collection.
Do you agree? :mrgreen:

Oct 23rd, '10, 11:40

Re: Collecting Puerh is like collecting Stamps

by tortoise » Oct 23rd, '10, 11:40

I am waiting for the Thelonius Monk edition! :D

Oct 23rd, '10, 12:07
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 23rd, '10, 12:07

That's a very interesting comparison. :D
In China there is a common saying that there are a few types of puerh collectors. One type is called "philatelists", and those are people who collect a few cakes/tuos of this and that. Their collections cover a wide range of teas but with a only few representatives of each kind.

A second type is "box collectors" who collect whole boxes (jian) of puerh. For example, for Dayi and most other 357g cake, each box/jian has typically 42 cakes.

A third type is "ti collectors". A ti typically has 7x357g cakes, 4x250g tuos or 5x100g tuos. The number may vary depending on the type of tea.

The last type is called "sample collectors" who get free samples like there is no tomorrow :mrgreen:

Oct 24th, '10, 07:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 24th, '10, 07:52

So if I can convice you that my wrapper that says 2004 was a mistaken printing error for 1984 will you pay me lots of money for the cake? :lol:

Oct 24th, '10, 08:41

by nonc_ron » Oct 24th, '10, 08:41

Herb_Master wrote:So if I can convice you that my wrapper that says 2004 was a mistaken printing error for 1984:lol:
The key words here are "if you can convince"
Maybe if the date looked more like o4. :D

Oct 25th, '10, 11:55

by TwoPynts » Oct 25th, '10, 11:55

I'm looking for the ultra rare upside down Dayi stamp. I'm willing to pay top dollar for it. And no just turning it around... :lol:

There are similarities between the two, sure, but put is a lot harder to mount into a book.

Oct 25th, '10, 12:06

by auhckw » Oct 25th, '10, 12:06

TwoPynts wrote:I'm looking for the ultra rare upside down Dayi stamp. I'm willing to pay top dollar for it. And no just turning it around... :lol:

There are similarities between the two, sure, but put is a lot harder to mount into a book.
If you are willing to pay top dollar, I can even get ppl to print your face on the front cover as the stamp :)

Oct 25th, '10, 14:49

by TwoPynts » Oct 25th, '10, 14:49

auhckw wrote:
TwoPynts wrote:I'm looking for the ultra rare upside down Dayi stamp. I'm willing to pay top dollar for it. And no just turning it around... :lol:

If you are willing to pay top dollar, I can even get ppl to print your face on the front cover as the stamp :)
Probably not a good idea is sales are a consideration. :mrgreen:

Oct 26th, '10, 08:55

by hop_goblin » Oct 26th, '10, 08:55

haha, great logical reasoning.

Oct 30th, '10, 15:55

by bagua7 » Oct 30th, '10, 15:55

I understand now why the Chinese collect and let age puerh. I had a gong fu cha session with a 40 year-old pu yesterday and I see things more clear now. It was a very special experience. Can't wait for the early 1900s one. It will be soon. I am very thankful to that guy for sharing with me one of his treasures. Thanks Steven.

+ Post Reply