Anyone Steam Pu Erh to break up a cake?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 14th, '10, 14:22

Anyone Steam Pu Erh to break up a cake?

by bigmonstertruck » Nov 14th, '10, 14:22

I usually use a knife to break up a Pu Erh cake, but I have heard of steaming a cake to soften it and let it fall apart. This also seems like it will not damage the leaves or result in as much dust. Anyone do this? If so, do you air dry the Pu Erh after steeming and for how long?

Thanks-
Ed

Nov 15th, '10, 14:06

Re: Anyone Steam Pu Erh to break up a cake?

by bearsbearsbears » Nov 15th, '10, 14:06

bigmonstertruck wrote:I usually use a knife to break up a Pu Erh cake, but I have heard of steaming a cake to soften it and let it fall apart. This also seems like it will not damage the leaves or result in as much dust. Anyone do this? If so, do you air dry the Pu Erh after steeming and for how long?
I have done this. It's not good for whole cakes. Instead, break a cake into rough thirds or quarters and steam those one at a time, as needed. It takes longer than you might think to pick apart a whole cake and lay it out after steaming.

If you try to steam the whole cake at once, it will usually dry out before you finish, so that you have to steam it again to make it pliable. Every steam is like a mini-brewing of the leaves, so the less often you have to do this the better.

Also, you will burn your fingers.

It's a fascinating process that teaches you much about the blend of tea leaves used for the cake--but annoying enough that I've only done it twice.

Nov 15th, '10, 14:31

by beecrofter » Nov 15th, '10, 14:31

It worked great for 100 gram tuo that was rock hard.

My advice is to tease the entire thing apart when you steam it and then
spread it out on a plate or two to dry.

I consider myself a noob with 10 or less years addicted to puerh, older tea in my stash seems to come apart rather easily with a pick.

I doubt I would bother steaming any shu apart as broken leaves matter less there- just whack it with a hammer or pick at it with an icepick.

Nov 15th, '10, 23:30
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 15th, '10, 23:30

Steaming Puer to break it apart will alter its taste quite a bit, because you're basically brewing it without soaking it in water. Also, if you do not dry the tea 100%, there's a chance of mold.

Nov 21st, '10, 15:07

by jackdaniel » Nov 21st, '10, 15:07

I've steamed a few tuos just to try. I didn't like it. Burned my fingers. Altered the taste. Need more storage space. I just pick part as I need now.

+ Post Reply