Zhuni & Zini for Ripe/Raw

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 17th, '10, 10:14

Zhuni & Zini for Ripe/Raw

by auhckw » Nov 17th, '10, 10:14

Today at a teashop, we did an experiment on brewing Ripe pu with Zhuni & Zini.

Using the same pu, same size of teapot (both brand new), same gram:water ratio, using same brew time...

Zini: Obvious Smooth, Aftertaste is at the throat

Zhuni: Less smooth compared to Zini, Not much aftertaste in the throat cause aftertaste focus is on the tongue and mouth area. Aroma and Flavor was stronger. Colour of the tea was darker too on the 6th infusion.

So which is better... they said ppl prefers smooth compared to stronger aroma and flavor, so Zini should be more preferred.

Any opinions?
Last edited by auhckw on Nov 18th, '10, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 17th, '10, 10:43

Re: Zhuni & Zini for Ripe

by chrl42 » Nov 17th, '10, 10:43

Some say, Zini is good for first brewing, but multiple brewings Zhuni still retains the flavor well while Zini doesn't.

Here we have another party who just insisted the difference of flavor coming out of different clays :mrgreen:

Nov 17th, '10, 22:55

Re: Zhuni & Zini for Ripe

by tingjunkie » Nov 17th, '10, 22:55

Zhuni and Zini huh? I have the perfect pot for you. Best of both worlds. Stay tuned to the teaswap. :wink:

Nov 18th, '10, 02:57

Re: Zhuni & Zini for Ripe/Raw

by auhckw » Nov 18th, '10, 02:57

Ok, today did another experiment but on young Raw pu. Same Pu, Same brewing parameters, etc

Di Cao Qing -Smooth, less flavor. After taste in throat, not much in mouth.

Zini-Even smoother than Di Cao Qing, less flavor. After taste in throat, not much in mouth.

Hong ni-Has better flavor compared to the top 2 clay, after taste in mouth, not much in throat. Not so smooth.

Zhuni-Has the most flavor, after taste in mouth, not much in throat. Not so smooth.

Duani-Flat. Flavor not as good as red clay, smooth not as good as purple

I think winner goes to Zini for today's test for young raw in terms of smooth, but flabor Zhuni gives better result. So boy oh boy... Need to find a pot that can give the best of both world

Nov 18th, '10, 03:28

by Ambrose » Nov 18th, '10, 03:28

Im after a sado clay pot myself for my sheng, I hope this can give both.

Nov 18th, '10, 03:46

by auhckw » Nov 18th, '10, 03:46

Ambrose wrote:Im after a sado clay pot myself for my sheng, I hope this can give both.
I met a frequent Hojo customer. He said he bought a lot of Hojo's pots and tea.

He said he has tried Hojo's Sado/Purple clay with Pu, but he said still Yixing/Chinese clay is better.

Nov 18th, '10, 05:04

by David R. » Nov 18th, '10, 05:04

I have a few teapots made of Sado clay from Hojo. At first I was very excited with results with sheng puerh but ultimately I switched back to gaiwan/yixing.

Nov 18th, '10, 05:42

by Ambrose » Nov 18th, '10, 05:42

Im very confused with clays still and im unsure where to get a good yixing pot.

Im speaking of Tazo made sado if it helps.

I currently find this pot to be my best sheng pot if it helps evaluate any better.

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... roduct=769

Would this be considered a good sheng pot?

thank you

Nov 22nd, '10, 10:50

by auhckw » Nov 22nd, '10, 10:50

I just did an experiment on Zini (Purple) and Zhuni (Red) teapot. I brewed my Xiaguan 2004 Golden Ribbon Raw Pu in them using same parameters.

When I tried that pu yesterday at the shop using porcelain gaiwan, it does not have smokiness, bitterness and astringency. The result for both is the same. But there is slight enhancement...

In the Zini, it is smooth, felt warmer but the flavor and aroma was ok only. If I did not compare to Zhuni I would have said Zini is quite good.

But in the Zhuni it is also smooth (as I believe the pu itself is smooth), but the flavor and aroma is much stronger. The tea colour was darker too. It has the less warm feeling compared to Zini, but it is more refreshing as the taste was better.

So what is my preference for today's experiment? Feel warmer with Zini or more taste with Zhuni? I would go for Zhuni :)

I have a feeling that for good quality Pu, zhuni is going to be quite a good match. And for lower grade or tough young, Zini may help to reduce the smokiness, bitterness and astringency. I have to experiment further...

+ Post Reply