Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 21st 11 9:18 pm
Posts: 89
Joined: Sep 11th 09 9:38 am
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel

Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by dangert » Jan 21st 11 9:18 pm

I have received a 7g sample of this tea as a part of a sample pack (http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/shop/loose-tea/shi-zuo). It is a very nice tea, full of complex flavors and natural sweetness. My enjoyment was only pulled down by too much of a green and grassy notes and fast fading - the tea only lasted 5 infusions and then the taste deteriorated considerably.

User avatar
Jan 23rd 11 4:45 pm
Posts: 159
Joined: Sep 20th 09 2:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by rhondabee » Jan 23rd 11 4:45 pm

I haven't tried that tea yet. I have had the Zhong Shu Hu (Alishan) oolong and really like it. It had a nice fruity type scent that I liked.

Feb 4th 11 9:35 pm
Posts: 89
Joined: Sep 11th 09 9:38 am
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by dangert » Feb 4th 11 9:35 pm

rhondabee wrote:I haven't tried that tea yet. I have had the Zhong Shu Hu (Alishan) oolong and really like it. It had a nice fruity type scent that I liked.
The Zhong Shu Hu was the second one I tried from the sample pack. For me it was much less impressive compared to Shi Zuo, even boring :D.

User avatar
Feb 5th 11 5:48 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by Tead Off » Feb 5th 11 5:48 am

dangert wrote:I have received a 7g sample of this tea as a part of a sample pack (http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/shop/loose-tea/shi-zuo). It is a very nice tea, full of complex flavors and natural sweetness. My enjoyment was only pulled down by too much of a green and grassy notes and fast fading - the tea only lasted 5 infusions and then the taste deteriorated considerably.
I haven't had this tea in a long time but the amount of infusions and intensity of taste can be controlled by the amount of leaf put into the pot. Last night, I put 4.5g into a 60ml gaiwan of Long Feng Xia and drank 12 brews of delightful tea. Try increasing your leaf amount and see if there is any difference. Make shorter brews, too!

Feb 6th 11 9:35 pm
Posts: 89
Joined: Sep 11th 09 9:38 am
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by dangert » Feb 6th 11 9:35 pm

Tead Off wrote: I haven't had this tea in a long time but the amount of infusions and intensity of taste can be controlled by the amount of leaf put into the pot. Last night, I put 4.5g into a 60ml gaiwan of Long Feng Xia and drank 12 brews of delightful tea. Try increasing your leaf amount and see if there is any difference. Make shorter brews, too!
I have used the whole sample (7g) in a 90ml gaiwan, which was even somewhat too much. The brews were quite short. But when the tea started fading, it was simply very dramatic change in taste.

User avatar
Feb 7th 11 4:15 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by Tead Off » Feb 7th 11 4:15 am

dangert wrote:
Tead Off wrote: I haven't had this tea in a long time but the amount of infusions and intensity of taste can be controlled by the amount of leaf put into the pot. Last night, I put 4.5g into a 60ml gaiwan of Long Feng Xia and drank 12 brews of delightful tea. Try increasing your leaf amount and see if there is any difference. Make shorter brews, too!
I have used the whole sample (7g) in a 90ml gaiwan, which was even somewhat too much. The brews were quite short. But when the tea started fading, it was simply very dramatic change in taste.
Just went back into my tea notes and see that I have not had this tea. I was confusing this with another one from TFT. In my experience, I find Alishan teas to be less satisfying to me than Shan Lin Xi or Li shan teas and they fall off faster in flavor.

User avatar
Feb 7th 11 9:13 pm
Posts: 1312
Joined: May 27th 09 8:55 pm

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by teaisme » Feb 7th 11 9:13 pm

I think one thing the alishans really have going for them is a distinct light but very staying fruitiness (a different fruitiness then what a lot of people consider fruity in certain hmt from other places)

Some I have had are just so unique in that aspect, when just right it is so wonderful to drink with fruit

I haven't found any online vendors yet who sell something like this, i imagine it's hoarded pretty fast

User avatar
Feb 7th 11 9:42 pm
Posts: 2044
Joined: Jan 12th 07 1:47 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by wyardley » Feb 7th 11 9:42 pm

churng wrote:I think one thing the alishans really have going for them is a distinct light but very staying fruitiness (a different fruitiness then what a lot of people consider fruity in certain hmt from other places)
I think you really have to try a lot of different gaoshan teas of high quality and good provenance before you'd be able to really tell the difference between the tea based on growing area alone. I think the varietal and processing (and maybe altitude) will probably be as important or more important than the exact growing reason.

Maybe others have more sensitive palates than I, but I think I'd be really hard pressed to identify specific gaoshan teas by area in a blind tasting. I'd rather have a great Alishan than a mediocre Lishan.

That said, I also have had some lightly oxidized Alishan teas that have a nice amount of light fruitiness.... best was the Alishan "traditional" that FLT had a couple years ago - maybe '09 spring?

User avatar
Feb 8th 11 3:29 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by Tead Off » Feb 8th 11 3:29 am

Most of us don't drink teas in blind tastings and usually we have the opportunity to sit down with a tea and 'discover' it by repeated brewing. I know I shouldn't generalize because there are always exceptions to disprove them, however, IMO, I have found Alishan teas to be less satisfying to me than the others mentioned. There is nothing wrong with them by any means. I just find the other areas to be deeper in what I like in gaoshan teas. I'm sure there are Alishans that I haven't had that I would love but so far, I lean more to the others.

User avatar
Feb 8th 11 5:39 am
Posts: 1593
Joined: Jul 21st 10 6:25 am
Location: Earth
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by bagua7 » Feb 8th 11 5:39 am

Can anyone recommend a vendor that sells nice Alishan? Not impressed with zen8tea and didn't really like Tea from Taiwan either...lol...I guess not having much luck with this particular oolong. :(

User avatar
Feb 8th 11 6:45 am
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by tenuki » Feb 8th 11 6:45 am

Last couple years of taiwanese gao shan have been disappointing in general IMO, although this last winter harvest had some gems if you look in the right places. Last mind blowingly good ali shan I had was in 2006 ( I still have a stash someplace... :D ).

User avatar
Feb 24th 11 4:42 pm
Posts: 589
Joined: Dec 13th 10 7:04 pm
Location: Seattle
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by hopeofdawn » Feb 24th 11 4:42 pm

bagua7 wrote:Can anyone recommend a vendor that sells nice Alishan? Not impressed with zen8tea and didn't really like Tea from Taiwan either...lol...I guess not having much luck with this particular oolong. :(

Have you tried Floating Leaves ( http://www.floatingleaves.com) yet? Their Alishan is expensive, but very good IMHO ...

User avatar
Feb 24th 11 6:05 pm
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 28th 08 8:14 pm

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by Oni » Feb 24th 11 6:05 pm

I had Alishan this year from Tft, Houde, but neither was as good as a Li shan oolong, I think Long Feng Xia and Da Yu Ling are the best from TFT.

User avatar
Mar 1st 11 11:26 pm
Posts: 356
Joined: Jul 30th 08 9:42 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by Bubba_tea » Mar 1st 11 11:26 pm

Oni wrote:I had Alishan this year from Tft, Houde, but neither was as good as a Li shan oolong, I think Long Feng Xia and Da Yu Ling are the best from TFT.
The Floating Leaves DYL from last year (IIRC winter 2009 as there was no spring 2010 harvest) was much better than the TFT. I was very meh last year on tea - enough that I didn't bother ordering anything until today... just running out of my old stashes and I had enough yan cha to get me through the winter.

User avatar
Mar 2nd 11 7:03 am
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 28th 08 8:14 pm

Re: Shi Zuo Tea from Tea From Taiwan

by Oni » Mar 2nd 11 7:03 am

With Da Yu Ling tea, I had a more roasted type from DTA from DT, it had a stronger flavour than the green ones, but either way a Da Yu Ling is the best of taiwanese teas, it is so smooth and oily, it is the most elegant taiwanese tea.