User avatar
Jun 8th 12 6:49 pm
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 15th 11 7:07 am

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by fire_snake » Jun 8th 12 6:49 pm

What does everyone think of this:

http://www.chinese-tea-culture.com/gaiwan-a002.html

Anyone have any experience with gaiwans from here?

I sent them a question about this item a few days ago but have not heard back.

User avatar
Jun 8th 12 7:09 pm
Posts: 375
Joined: Jun 15th 09 11:05 am
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by sriracha » Jun 8th 12 7:09 pm

I've been trying to find pics of the gaiwan I like best of the ones I own

This is it:

http://esgreen.com/products-page/white- ... e-circles/

It's not arctic white, slightly warmer in colour but thin and very easy to handle imho. The circles add a little elegance.

Don't know if it's what you're looking for, just wanted to show it.


edit: capacity is ~120ml

Jun 9th 12 12:47 am
Posts: 12
Joined: May 23rd 12 10:14 am

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by limbo » Jun 9th 12 12:47 am

Ended up PMing Brandon after seeing his post. As feared, it is the TTG grail
brandon wrote:Image
Photo credit Nathanial Hornblower

Strong, throaty puer with hints of wood on inhale and cooling sensation going all the way to the base of the throat. Best tea drinking buds in "Mr. Sleeves" BioHorn, TIM, and Toki. Where's it from? What season? Picked by virgins? Who cares...

User avatar
Jun 9th 12 1:30 am
Posts: 852
Joined: Mar 5th 10 3:07 am
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by Poohblah » Jun 9th 12 1:30 am

limbo wrote:As feared, it is the TTG grail
Could you please explain the meaning of this? I'm a little confused :?:

Jun 9th 12 2:10 am
Posts: 12
Joined: May 23rd 12 10:14 am

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by limbo » Jun 9th 12 2:10 am

Ah sorry. I meant that I was hoping it was a gaiwan that was available for purchase, but had a suspicion that it was the TTG that are no longer made.

Just found a blog post today discussing the same thing we are, and he recommended the ones from Tea Masters. The cups look great as well.

http://www.thesiptip.com/2012/06/though ... iwans.html

User avatar
Jun 9th 12 2:57 am
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 15th 11 7:07 am

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by fire_snake » Jun 9th 12 2:57 am

Ha!

I too, can heartily recommend the "mini gaiwan" from Teamasters. Stephane has some lovely teaware.

The "mini-gaiwan" is actually part of Stephane's Qingbai set. I have all the pieces (including two of each cup), except for the (newly offered) smaller teapot. I've got the larger one and I'm beyond satisfied with it.

The Qingbai set:

http://teamasters.blogspot.ca/2009/09/m ... n-tea.html

mini-gaiwan:

http://teamasters.blogspot.ca/2009/10/b ... aiwan.html

The greenish glaze is a bit lighter on the mini-gaiwan than the rest of the set, but I find it quite elegant.

I'm actually in the process of purchasing a second large Qingbai teapot from Stephane, as well as the smaller one, and another mini-gaiwan.

User avatar
Jun 9th 12 7:04 am
Posts: 1784
Joined: Jul 9th 09 3:39 am
Location: Maui
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by tingjunkie » Jun 9th 12 7:04 am

What's the obsession with the uber-white color? I don't get it.

User avatar
Jun 9th 12 2:02 pm
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 15th 11 7:07 am

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by fire_snake » Jun 9th 12 2:02 pm

tingjunkie wrote:What's the obsession with the uber-white color? I don't get it.

It's more of an obsession with trying to get a gaiwan (or a set of gaiwans) that are as close as possible to the colour, shape and thinness of the TTG gaiwans. The combination of pure white + thin porcelain (as thin as you can get without sacrificing usability) is something very special (and apparently, very rare) aesthetically.

Not everyone will share this view, but you can bet that quite a few folks on this site miss the TTG gaiwans.

User avatar
Jun 9th 12 4:04 pm
Posts: 107
Joined: Feb 15th 11 11:34 pm
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by jaderabbit » Jun 9th 12 4:04 pm

I think this gaiwan is a nice shape with good flare to protect fingers from heat.
http://jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea-shop ... -czwgw.cfm
But it doesn't look as thin as the tea gallery gaiwans? :cry:

User avatar
Jun 9th 12 5:52 pm
Posts: 1247
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by JRS22 » Jun 9th 12 5:52 pm

I dug out my tea gallery gaiwan ane it's definitely thinner than the tea trekker gaiwans. Maybe I should glue the lid back together and return it to service.

User avatar
Jun 10th 12 12:53 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by Chip » Jun 10th 12 12:53 am

fire_snake wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:What's the obsession with the uber-white color? I don't get it.

It's more of an obsession with trying to get a gaiwan (or a set of gaiwans) that are as close as possible to the colour, shape and thinness of the TTG gaiwans. The combination of pure white + thin porcelain (as thin as you can get without sacrificing usability) is something very special (and apparently, very rare) aesthetically.

Not everyone will share this view, but you can bet that quite a few folks on this site miss the TTG gaiwans.
I always view these obsessions as "different strokes for different folks." If we all shared the same obsessions life would get boring, often a new flame is lit by someone else's interest(s). :twisted:

... it's all good! :idea:

User avatar
Jun 10th 12 1:16 am
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 15th 11 7:07 am

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by fire_snake » Jun 10th 12 1:16 am

Chip wrote:
fire_snake wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:What's the obsession with the uber-white color? I don't get it.

It's more of an obsession with trying to get a gaiwan (or a set of gaiwans) that are as close as possible to the colour, shape and thinness of the TTG gaiwans. The combination of pure white + thin porcelain (as thin as you can get without sacrificing usability) is something very special (and apparently, very rare) aesthetically.

Not everyone will share this view, but you can bet that quite a few folks on this site miss the TTG gaiwans.
I always view these obsessions as "different strokes for different folks." If we all shared the same obsessions life would get boring, often a new flame is lit by someone else's interest(s). :twisted:

... it's all good! :idea:
Who knows. From this gaiwan search I might turn up something even more interesting. :) After all, The mini-gaiwans over at Teamasters hold their own very well. There's a lot to recommend them.

User avatar
Jun 10th 12 4:42 am
Posts: 1784
Joined: Jul 9th 09 3:39 am
Location: Maui
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by tingjunkie » Jun 10th 12 4:42 am

Chip wrote: I always view these obsessions as "different strokes for different folks." If we all shared the same obsessions life would get boring, often a new flame is lit by someone else's interest(s). :twisted:

... it's all good! :idea:
Indeed. Just curious about the reasoning. :wink:

User avatar
Jun 11th 12 5:45 am
Posts: 70
Joined: Dec 23rd 11 2:22 am
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by Acaelus » Jun 11th 12 5:45 am

Current owner of one, it's in my avatar hahaha.

In terms of burnt fingers, none really, but I decant with the saucer with one hand, and no burnt fingers yet. I love it, it's pristine, it's white, it fits wonderfully, and they're sadly all hand made, so I'm still using a chipped lid after accidentally dropping the lid while washing :cry:

Jun 12th 12 3:32 pm
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 11th 12 3:37 pm

Re: Red Blossom Tea's "Summer" Gaiwan: Experiences? Opinions?

by inohm » Jun 12th 12 3:32 pm

I am very tempted to buy this too, it has a unique shape and it looks to be finely made.

Is it really 6oz filled up to the level of the lid though? That seems rather large!