Jun 18th, '12, 20:38

Electric Kettle with a Decent Spout

by the_skua » Jun 18th, '12, 20:38

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a new electric kettle and would like one with a workable spout. I searched the site and saw some references to the Bonavita:

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/bona ... ettle.html

...but wondered if anyone else had a brand of electric kettle with a decent spout that they particularly liked.

Thanks!

Jun 18th, '12, 20:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Electric Kettle with a Decent Spout

by the_economist » Jun 18th, '12, 20:44

I've used this kettle before, very nice spout, doesn't really get hot enough sometimes.

Jun 18th, '12, 21:04

by Chip » Jun 18th, '12, 21:04

My contention with these goosenecks (without ever trying one) is that the water never heats up in the spout ... thus first water out is going to be very cool. And even when hot water passes through the long spout, won't it cool?

Jun 18th, '12, 21:15

by wyardley » Jun 18th, '12, 21:15

The Chinese metal electric ones (Tianyi brand, Kamjove brand) have a pretty good pour.

Jun 18th, '12, 23:35

by Poohblah » Jun 18th, '12, 23:35

I don't understand why so many Western-brand electric kettles have such an annoyingly stubby and/or wide spout.

Jun 19th, '12, 00:33

by Chip » Jun 19th, '12, 00:33

Poohblah wrote:I don't understand why so many Western-brand electric kettles have such an annoyingly stubby and/or wide spout.
... because gooseneck spout kettles are for the birds? :lol:

<laughs alone>

Jun 19th, '12, 01:46

by MarshalN » Jun 19th, '12, 01:46

Poohblah wrote:I don't understand why so many Western-brand electric kettles have such an annoyingly stubby and/or wide spout.
Because they don't need precision tea pouring.

Jun 19th, '12, 01:59

by Poohblah » Jun 19th, '12, 01:59

MarshalN wrote:
I don't think this answer is satisfactory. First, what good is an electric kettle if not for tea, and second, why shouldn't a better spout be more common? I just don't see the advantage of what's essentially no more than a hole in the side of the kettle as opposed to a reasonable spout. Perhaps cost savings?

Jun 19th, '12, 02:13

by wyardley » Jun 19th, '12, 02:13

Poohblah wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
I don't think this answer is satisfactory. First, what good is an electric kettle if not for tea, and second, why shouldn't a better spout be more common?
Yes, making tea is probably a common reason for having an electric kettle, but making tea in a style that requires precision control of your pour is another story. I am guessing that for most of the target audience, being able to pour quickly is more of a consideration than having perfect control.

With the popularity of pourover style coffee, I think the constricted spout kettles will become more popular here.

Jun 19th, '12, 02:20

by Poohblah » Jun 19th, '12, 02:20

wyardley wrote:I am guessing that for most of the target audience, being able to pour quickly is more of a consideration than having perfect control.
I suppose that sounds reasonable. Part of me feels like finding a kettle engineer and asking "why?" The other part of me doesn't care nearly enough.

Jun 19th, '12, 07:45

by the_skua » Jun 19th, '12, 07:45

I use my older one in the kitchen all the time, to make stock or get pasta water up to temp. It's much faster than the gas stove.

Has anybody used this one?

http://www.redblossomtea.com/teaware/ac ... ettle.html

It looks like a Kamjove.

Jun 19th, '12, 11:05

by Poohblah » Jun 19th, '12, 11:05

It is a Kamjove; the base of the kettle is labeled.

Jun 19th, '12, 14:10

by teaisme » Jun 19th, '12, 14:10

Poohblah wrote:I suppose that sounds reasonable. Part of me feels like finding a kettle engineer and asking "why?"
Just like how I feel about the interiors of american electric kettles. Why can't there just be no plastic...

Fully concealed elements with no silicone or weld seams are dirt cheap in taiwan and india.

Jun 20th, '12, 22:37

by bambooforest » Jun 20th, '12, 22:37

I want to second teaisme's feelings about plastic elements in kettles.

It's not an engineering challenge to refrain from putting any plastic inside the kettle, so why must the manufacturers be so adamant about putting the dastardly plastic inside the kettle?

I've recently purchased this kettle: http://www.thewholeleaf.com/catalog/tea ... le-22.html

It pours perfectly and heats water wickedly fast. In fact, ever since I've purchased it, I've been drinking more tea than ever before. Having an electric kettle with all its conveniences is conducive to consuming more tea. The electric kettle will increase your bliss while simultaneously thinning your wallet.

Another kettle that looks interesting and has no plastic in it, though I haven't tried it is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045O ... d_i=507846

The spout looks good on the above one too.

Jun 21st, '12, 00:03

by Chip » Jun 21st, '12, 00:03

Ah yes, plastic in kettles.

When I was deciding on whether to buy a new electric kettle, I considered how many steeps I had with my very first electric kettle, a Bodum 99% plastic model ... which was about all I could find back then. I figured 30,000 steeps, the thing just would not die. I wonder if it was in a dual to see who would die first.

Having survived that (though it makes me feel sick when I think about it), I figure I am either invincible and defying death or I am just living on borrowed time.

I have "de-plasticized" my kettle as much as possible. For instance I removed the silly plastic filter thingy at the base of the spout.

+ Post Reply