Making a Tong Wrapper
So I acquired a tong on cakes in two parts, so I wasn't sold a full tong in a tong wrapper. For sake of easier transportation in the future, I would like to put it into a tong wrapper. Does anyone know how to go about making a tong wrapper out of paper bags/other suitable materials?
Feb 11th, '13, 16:12
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sep 25th, '07, 23:51
Scrolling: scrolling
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
You can buy cotton bags to hold 7-10 tea cakes pretty easily in Chinese tea markets. Take a look on your next TW trip.
Feb 12th, '13, 03:16
Posts: 17
Joined: Aug 25th, '10, 23:11
Location: San Francisco, California, USA
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
Just use a paper bag. Put 7 beengs in the bag, roll the top closed. Voila, you've made a replacement tong wrapper.
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
Buy a ziplock plastic bag that's big enough and there you go. No breaking either, unlike paper bags.
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
Don't you think paper would be more suitable for aging a tong?MarshalN wrote:Buy a ziplock plastic bag that's big enough and there you go. No breaking either, unlike paper bags.
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
Find a cheap woven basket and put some cloth over it if you feel the cakes need to be protected from cats / kids / whatever and it doesn't already come with a cover.
Not a wrapper but good for storage.
Not a wrapper but good for storage.
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
He said easier transportation, not storage. If you want air exchange, just leave the bag open when not transporting.Tead Off wrote:Don't you think paper would be more suitable for aging a tong?MarshalN wrote:Buy a ziplock plastic bag that's big enough and there you go. No breaking either, unlike paper bags.
Re: Making a Tong Wrapper
Your right. I missed the part about transporting. I still like the idea of paper instead of plastic for storage. I wrap mine up in handmade mulberry paper, undyed, and easy to get here.MarshalN wrote:He said easier transportation, not storage. If you want air exchange, just leave the bag open when not transporting.Tead Off wrote:Don't you think paper would be more suitable for aging a tong?MarshalN wrote:Buy a ziplock plastic bag that's big enough and there you go. No breaking either, unlike paper bags.