Jul 22nd, '06, 06:29
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 22nd, '06, 06:19

tin question

by elnanle » Jul 22nd, '06, 06:29

Please forgive me if this question has already been asked or is very ignorant.

I was wondering if it is very wrong to reuse tea caddies/ canisters/ tins for different teas? Would the next tea absorb too much of the taste of the last? I have several old and beautiful canisters that I would like to make use of for their aesthetic qualities, but I won't if it's not good for the tea.

Thanks for any advice!

User avatar
Jul 22nd, '06, 15:52
Posts: 212
Joined: Feb 13th, '06, 03:30

by Warden Andy » Jul 22nd, '06, 15:52

I always reuse tins, and haven't had any problems reusing a tin for different teas. Just clean out any tea dust in the tin by filling it with water, put the lid on, and shake. Repeat that a few times to get all the dust out of the cracks.
Super elite tea facist....

User avatar
Jul 24th, '06, 13:29
Posts: 251
Joined: Jan 12th, '06, 02:18

by TeaFanatic » Jul 24th, '06, 13:29

I have also reused tins, and the only problem that I have encountered is that the labels get wet, and that is kind of annoying, but besides that, the tea is perfectly fine.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

User avatar
Jul 24th, '06, 16:56
Posts: 238
Joined: Jul 24th, '05, 18:54
Location: Minnesota

by Carnelian » Jul 24th, '06, 16:56

I wipe out the inside of tins with a coffee filter (almost ironic). Or if I have an empty sample tin I fill it with hot water and let it sit. The heat make the label peel right off and I use the tins to store home dried spices and prefilled tea filters for travelling
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

User avatar
Jul 25th, '06, 03:06
Posts: 142
Joined: Nov 4th, '05, 02:36

by rhpot1991 » Jul 25th, '06, 03:06

I reuse the sampler tins also. I just rinse them out and allow them to dry before using them. They make a great work collection so you don't need to drag all your good tins back and forth.

-John

User avatar
Jul 25th, '06, 04:16
Posts: 212
Joined: Feb 13th, '06, 03:30

by Warden Andy » Jul 25th, '06, 04:16

rhpot1991 wrote:I reuse the sampler tins also. I just rinse them out and allow them to dry before using them. They make a great work collection so you don't need to drag all your good tins back and forth.

-John
They're also good to put tea in from bigger tins, so you don't open the big tin of tea everytime you make a cup, and have all that tea go stale faster.
Super elite tea facist....