Thes Du Japon - Recommendations

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 3rd, '14, 20:08

by Noonie » Sep 3rd, '14, 20:08

After trying Sencha from O-Cha and Den's, lots of purchases in the last two years, I would like to try Thes Du Japon. Despite the great detail provided on their website, I thought I would ask what folks here have tried lately--and recommend, and whether there is any tea that is very good for the price. There is a mix of affordable tea (for me $20-$30/100g), and then some higher end teas that at this point in my tea journey I'm not sure I would appreciate enough to warrant the cost. Thanks!

Sep 4th, '14, 11:16

Re: Thes Du Japon - Recommendations

by chingwa » Sep 4th, '14, 11:16

Thes Du Japon, is my definite favorite place to get japanese teas. Their stock fluctuates so I'm not sure If they'll have everything that I list below (Maybe I should go place a new tea order for myself... :D ). If they don't have it now they'll probably have it again at some point during the tea season.

Going through my notes, I've consistently found the following mid-grade teas to be really good...
- Sencha from Fuji(Shizuoka), Koshun cultivar (100g/$16)
- Sencha from HonYama, Shizu 7132 cultivar (100g/16 )
- Sencha from Fuji(Shizuoka), Tsuyu Hikari cultivar (100g/$16)
- Tamaryokucha from Ureshino (100g/$19)

The following are good but have a bit of a different flavor if you're feeling adventurous...
- Sencha from Miyazaki, Oku Yutaka cultivar (100g/$24)
- Organic sencha from Shimizu, Kanaya-Midori (100g/$18)
- Chemical Free Sencha from Honyama, yamakai cultivar (100g/$21)
- Sencha from Fuji, Inzatsu131 cultivar (has interesting oolong-ish flavor) (50g/$17)

and the below teas will evaporate the money from your bank account just by looking at them but they are probably the best sencha I've ever had...
- Sencha from Mariko, Kondo-Wase(50g/$25)
- Sencha from Honyama, Tobetto (50g/$53) :shock: :lol:

Sep 26th, '14, 04:29

by gunbuster363 » Sep 26th, '14, 04:29

Try Kama-iri cha from Kumamoto USD $18.67/ 100g

The above mentionied sencha(s) are also very nice.

Sep 26th, '14, 13:23

by saxon75 » Sep 26th, '14, 13:23

I had some of the 2013 kondo-wase in an OTTI last year and it was phenomenal. Probably the best sencha I've ever had. But, as has been pointed out, it's quite expensive.

Sep 30th, '14, 11:50

by saxon75 » Sep 30th, '14, 11:50

This thread prompted me to finally order a bunch of the ones I've been wanting to try. Some time late this week or early next week I ought to be getting:

Sencha from Miyazaki, Oku-midori cultivar
Sencha from Tawaramine, Shizu 7132 cultivar
Organic sencha from Shimizu, Kanaya-midori cultivar
Kama-iri cha from Ureshino, Fuji-kaori cultivar

Can't wait!

Oct 21st, '14, 05:33

by Noonie » Oct 21st, '14, 05:33

chingwa wrote:Thes Du Japon, is my definite favorite place to get japanese teas. Their stock fluctuates so I'm not sure If they'll have everything that I list below (Maybe I should go place a new tea order for myself... :D ). If they don't have it now they'll probably have it again at some point during the tea season.

and the below teas will evaporate the money from your bank account just by looking at them but they are probably the best sencha I've ever had...
- Sencha from Mariko, Kondo-Wase(50g/$25)
- Sencha from Honyama, Tobetto (50g/$53) :shock: :lol:
I ended up ordering several types of tea, including Sencha from Mariko, Kondo-Wase...this is the most I've spent on Sencha before, but by far it is the best I've ever had. The smell of the dry leaves and liquor was sublime, the taste was so flavour-forward, but from the moment it touches your lips...to the back of the throat, and the brief time after when your savouring it...it was a combination of fresh flowers, butter and hazelnuts. Yummy. Thanks for the recommendation!

Oct 21st, '14, 20:13

by chingwa » Oct 21st, '14, 20:13

Glad to hear it worked out Noonie! That kondo-wase is sooo goood. I haven't had it in so long but I still think of it often. :lol: Maybe I'll treat myself and get some in my next order. :mrgreen:

The Tobetto is in a class all it's own... I don't know If I could really justify buying it again, because of the price, but I'm glad I experienced it at least once. When you get to a certain level like this sencha becomes transcendental :)

Oct 29th, '14, 11:51

by saxon75 » Oct 29th, '14, 11:51

Having gotten all the way through my bag of the Shizu 7132, I have to say, that tea is kind of weird. To me, anyway. The floral, cherry blossom notes described on the site were definitely there, but also a strong spice note. Like cinnamon and nutmeg. Not at all what I think of when I think of sencha.

Oct 29th, '14, 17:20

by bilochun » Oct 29th, '14, 17:20

great thread! i was thinking about getting the Sencha from Honyama Takayama, pesticide-free, Yamakai once my current stash runs out

Oct 30th, '14, 09:25

by Sasameyuki » Oct 30th, '14, 09:25

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the following teas from TDJ :

Sencha from Mariko, Kondo-wase cultivar.
Sencha from Fuji, Shizuoka, Koshun cultivar.
Sencha from Hon.yama, Tamakawa, Yamakai cultivar.
Superior sencha from Yame, Yabukita cultivar, Fukamushi.

I'll write my first impressions here. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

Oct 30th, '14, 12:08

by saxon75 » Oct 30th, '14, 12:08

One of these days I'm really going to have to get more of the kondo-wase and see if I still like it as much as I did that first time.

Oct 31st, '14, 05:46

by Noonie » Oct 31st, '14, 05:46

Sasameyuki wrote:I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the following teas from TDJ :

Sencha from Mariko, Kondo-wase cultivar.
Sencha from Fuji, Shizuoka, Koshun cultivar.
Sencha from Hon.yama, Tamakawa, Yamakai cultivar.
Superior sencha from Yame, Yabukita cultivar, Fukamushi.

I'll write my first impressions here. I hope I don't have to wait too long.
I'll be opening the Hon.Yama Koshun cultivar tomorrow. I'll try and remember to post my thoughts here...

Oct 31st, '14, 11:06

by sherubtse » Oct 31st, '14, 11:06

I'm considering placing an order. Does anyone have any suggestions for good fuka-s from Thes-du-Japon? (It seems that only one of suggestions in this thread is a fuka.)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 2nd, '14, 05:30

by Noonie » Nov 2nd, '14, 05:30

sherubtse wrote:I'm considering placing an order. Does anyone have any suggestions for good fuka-s from Thes-du-Japon? (It seems that only one of suggestions in this thread is a fuka.)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
When I placed my only order (so far) from them, I recall that Fuka's didn't jump out at me...whether it be from their blog and what teas are reviewed, or maybe that they seem really focused on asamushi. Perhaps it isn't the place for fuka? But in any case, let us know what you get and how it tastes.

Nov 2nd, '14, 12:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '14, 12:21

Florent mentioned that fuka does not excite him.

+ Post Reply