"Tea Drunkness" w/Pu-Erh, Is it subjective/different?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 26th, '15, 10:39

"Tea Drunkness" w/Pu-Erh, Is it subjective/different?

by bellmont » Feb 26th, '15, 10:39

Hello, To balance off the point that was brought up on the "tea...drunk?" topic under general tea:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20123

Are there specific pu-erhs which everyone (or at least many) can agree on that produce the deep sense of calm that is often associated with being "tea drunk"?

I wondering if this state is completely subjective/different individual to individual or if several different people can drink the same pu-erh and agree that that pu-erh from that specific blend, year, source and/or producer produces "tea drunkenness".

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

peace,

bellmont
Last edited by bellmont on Feb 26th, '15, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 26th, '15, 11:32

Re: "Tea Drunkness" w/Pu-Erh, Is it subjective/different?

by BW85 » Feb 26th, '15, 11:32

Much of the high quality puerh I've had from the 70's - mid 90's had a much, much more dramatic and profound effect than simply a deep calm. I would imagine it would be fairly universal among whoever drank one of these teas. It has been in my experience. Subjectivity would probably come more into play with teas with less pronounced qi, whether because they are younger or lesser quality. With those teas it's about your awareness.... You have to pay attention to your mind/body and how it reacts to the tea

Feb 26th, '15, 14:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Feb 26th, '15, 14:32

bellmont wrote:I wondering if this state is completely subjective/different individual to individual or if several different people can drink the same pu-erh and agree that that pu-erh from that specific blend, year, source and/or producer produces "tea drunkenness".
I think of tea drunkenness (or any "mood changing effect" from tea) in a similar fashion to alcohol drunkenness -- a number of factors affect it, such as body mass, metabolism, and recent food consumption (and possibly even state of mind).

So, I'm more in the "your mileage may vary" camp.

Feb 26th, '15, 19:10
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Feb 26th, '15, 19:10

it is definitely a YMMV as the same tea may not do the same thing twice. How much and what kind of food you have in your system can change it, as well how much and how fast you have the tea. In these respects, it is like alcohol, where once you got wonderfully tipsy on champagne and the next time have a terrible headache. It's not the champagne, its you.
However, the propensity of older, highly regarded pu'erh to give the effect is a property of the tea. Your body just has to cooperate.

Feb 27th, '15, 02:58

by Rui » Feb 27th, '15, 02:58

Very interesting topic. Hopefully Cwyn will provide us with some insights about this matter as I love reading her blog.

Mar 2nd, '15, 15:58

by Cwyn » Mar 2nd, '15, 15:58

1-900-TEA-HIGH

Mar 2nd, '15, 22:31

by shah82 » Mar 2nd, '15, 22:31

I'd have thought Cwyn, given your age, and exposure to campy 80's movies would have led you to remark: Don't forget! It's 1- 55fiiiiiive, Tea HIIIIiiigh!

Mar 3rd, '15, 05:27

by Cwyn » Mar 3rd, '15, 05:27

Exposure to '80s campy movies? Nope, I was in the convent through most of the 1980s.

I write so much about tea drunks on my blog already! I think to some extent a tolerance gets built up. Shah drinks a lot of sheng every day, doesn't surprise me that the 2005 Naka didn't affect him, but most people are babbling idiots on that tea.

Mar 3rd, '15, 14:26

by shah82 » Mar 3rd, '15, 14:26

And Ghostbusters never weaned its way into your breakroom, or wherever nuns get their caffeine high? Dang, whatever did nuns actually think of Ghostbusters, come to think of it?

It's not really so much that I'm drinking sheng everyday (and sometimes I drink shu like An Xiang or more commonly, like today, the '02 Zhongcha Green Stamp from white2tea), it's basically because I have, compared to people who started buying premium tea later than me, a lot of teas with strong qi, and they're all at the age of the Naka or getting there, accumulating more old tea qi. Generally, I'm a bit more interested in the character of the qi rather than the strength. A lot of teas with very strong qi will not really cause much babbling. Older teas, true quality mature heicha and aged oolongs, are usually more promoting of any inhibition lowering. Most young teas, like say, the YangQingHao Gushu Chawang (when it was younger) change your sense of yourself, but they don't really make you *drunk*, same as the good japanese greens. OTOH, I got really smashed the last time I had the XZH LBZ.

I don't really think of "tea drunkness" as being particularly subjective. My hypothesis is that the qi in this sense is essentially coming from the conjugation of phytochems and minerals, and that the "highs" tends to be about how much minerals there are. Stuff like tea flowers and rooibos can also have qi, even though they don't have (much)caffeine. One does wonder if good tea is good for bipolar conditions. When I read about differences in awareness, I tend to think the person is inexperienced and isn't locking onto the "high" properly. Sometimes, they are also talking about something different, in the sense that they are talking about a holistic qualia of drinking tea~and qi here is the extent to which the tea accommodates the act of drinking, with good color, good aroma, excellent mouthfeel, without any negative distractions. Others just don't know any better, and locking onto caffeine, or weird stuff that's probably a defect (whether that be pesticide, adulteration with non puerh, etc) in the eyes of conventional refined tea drinkers. They'll get it or they don't. There isn't any point in telling anyone otherwise, other than that by the time that they do get it, teas worth buying have become yet more incredibly expensive. There have been more talk about the rise of gushu shu lately in the asian forums, and I get the sense, though the morass of google translate, that a motivation for that is that it's harder to tell gushu from plantation leaves in shu, and teas can be cut heavier with plantation, at little cost to sales and margins.

Mar 4th, '15, 13:48

by Cwyn » Mar 4th, '15, 13:48

If someone is "getting it" or not, this is rather subjective. If a tea really has the compounds necessary, then anyone not experiencing the effect has a physical reason why they are not. Examples might be medication interactions, daily alcohol consumption, regular use of recreational drugs or psych meds, or a physical tolerance. There is no mumbo jumbo or spiritual magic about tea, the relaxing effect has been studied, the compounds have been identified scientifically.

My order of nuns perhaps watches movies more nowadays, but in general nuns do not. Back when I was in the order, a VCR was still not common in most households, it was a pretty expensive piece of equipment. In general, nuns favor group activities that promote interaction and conversation. The one movie that raised any interest that I recall is "Sister Act."

Mar 4th, '15, 17:59

by shah82 » Mar 4th, '15, 17:59

Well, oftentimes, I don't think people track what they feel particularly well as one off thing. And that this had led to a fairly mumbo-jumbo perception of what qi is. They'll get it once they've had enough teas that are truly good to figure out one of the common elements to them.

I'm surprised that Sister Act caused that much conversation...Was it controversial in your eyes in depicting how nuns are?

Personally, I'd be pretty interested in an intellectual nun's interpretation of Alien/Aliens and BladeRunner.

Mar 4th, '15, 23:13

by Cwyn » Mar 4th, '15, 23:13

I found Sister Act one-dimensional and stereotypical, and my own order had given up wearing the old habit in the late 1960's. However, older nuns in my order enjoyed the movie, rather a feel good about ourselves experience. I haven't seen the other movies you mentioned, actually I've had two people try to sit me through Bladerunner and I've lost interest trying to watch it. It is a guy movie, might want to find priests for an opinion on that one.

Mar 4th, '15, 23:20

by BW85 » Mar 4th, '15, 23:20

Cwyn wrote:I found Sister Act one-dimensional and stereotypical, and my own order had given up wearing the old habit in the late 1960's. However, older nuns in my order enjoyed the movie, rather a feel good about ourselves experience. I haven't seen the other movies you mentioned, actually I've had two people try to sit me through Bladerunner and I've lost interest trying to watch it. It is a guy movie, might want to find priests for an opinion on that one.
Instead of trying to watch Blade Runner, read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick... The source material, and brilliant :)

Mar 6th, '15, 21:28

by bellmont » Mar 6th, '15, 21:28

Alright.

I am hearing that chemicals have been found which produce an euphoric or calm state. I am assuming, outside of the lab environment, there is no way to tell if a cake will produce tea drunkenness ...apart from the obvious...drinking the tea and well knowing the general quality and age of the cake too.

I am also hearing that experiencing a breadth (of variety) and depth (of quality) of tea is important. If you have no baseline or benchmark understanding "Chi" then you won't notice a quality tea when it comes your way.

One question that I wonder about: Is "tea drunkenness" always synonymous with chi? Or is tea drunkenness just the physiological expression of the before mentioned chemicals --irrelevant to one's experience with chi?

Mar 7th, '15, 01:05

by kyarazen » Mar 7th, '15, 01:05

bellmont wrote:Hello, To balance off the point that was brought up on the "tea...drunk?" topic under general tea:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20123

Are there specific pu-erhs which everyone (or at least many) can agree on that produce the deep sense of calm that is often associated with being "tea drunk"?

I wondering if this state is completely subjective/different individual to individual or if several different people can drink the same pu-erh and agree that that pu-erh from that specific blend, year, source and/or producer produces "tea drunkenness".

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

peace,

bellmont
alcohol gets you drunk by messing up your GABA receptors..
tea gets you "drunk" by messing up your adenosine receptors.. 8)

+ Post Reply