Cold Brew?

For general/other topics related to tea.

User avatar
Apr 7th, '15, 15:55
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 27th, '15, 12:43
Location: new york

Cold Brew?

by purringtons » Apr 7th, '15, 15:55

Since it's been getting warmer I ordered the mugicha cold brew teabags from Den's tea (20% off right now!), tried it today and really enjoyed how it tasted. So my question is: what's your favourite cold brew? I'm looking to buy more before summer comes and any suggestions would be great :-)

User avatar
Apr 7th, '15, 16:11
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cold Brew?

by Chip » Apr 7th, '15, 16:11

Sencha!

Gyokuro.

Kukicha/Karine can be nice.

User avatar
Apr 7th, '15, 16:58
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th, '10, 21:04
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Cold Brew?

by debunix » Apr 7th, '15, 16:58

Sencha
Green Taiwanese mountain oolongs
An Ji Bai Cha

User avatar
Apr 8th, '15, 02:25
Posts: 749
Joined: May 2nd, '10, 06:03
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Cold Brew?

by BioHorn » Apr 8th, '15, 02:25

Ice brew:
Sencha
Gyokuro
'Fridge brew:
Phoenix Dan Cong

Apr 8th, '15, 15:10
Posts: 89
Joined: Jul 9th, '14, 22:17

Re: Cold Brew?

by mganz42 » Apr 8th, '15, 15:10

If you're willing to try it, mate works well at cold temperatures

User avatar
Apr 8th, '15, 16:13
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 27th, '15, 12:43
Location: new york

Re: Cold Brew?

by purringtons » Apr 8th, '15, 16:13

thanks for the suggestions guys!

has anyone tried the fruity ones like the ones on den's?

User avatar
Apr 8th, '15, 16:21
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th, '10, 21:04
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Cold Brew?

by debunix » Apr 8th, '15, 16:21

I've tried my home-mixed herbal teas, and hibiscus makes a lovely chilled fruit-punch like tea, with a sweetener like licorice root or hydrangea leaf (gamro). Haven't ever tried a flavored C. sinensis tea, however. I suspect your success would vary depending on the individual tea flavoring. You have little to lose by experimenting: just a small amount will give you the answer.

User avatar
Apr 9th, '15, 04:45
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 2nd, '15, 16:09

Re: Cold Brew?

by scheumee » Apr 9th, '15, 04:45

For a cold brew are you just brewing as normal then chilling or actually brewing it longer in cold water? I generally drink my tea hot and to drink cold tea I brew as normal then chill. Is this the best process?

User avatar
Apr 9th, '15, 13:55
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 27th, '15, 12:43
Location: new york

Re: Cold Brew?

by purringtons » Apr 9th, '15, 13:55

scheumee wrote:For a cold brew are you just brewing as normal then chilling or actually brewing it longer in cold water? I generally drink my tea hot and to drink cold tea I brew as normal then chill. Is this the best process?
I drop the cold brew tea bags in a jug of room temp water for an hour + then remove the bag and move the tea to the fridge. I'm not too sure what's the best way to go about it using normal tea leaves :?: :shock:

User avatar
Apr 9th, '15, 14:59
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th, '10, 21:04
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Cold Brew?

by debunix » Apr 9th, '15, 14:59

I start oolongs and occasional shu puerhs in a small amount of hot water, often in a gaiwan, then pour leaf and all into a bottle of unheated water, and chill if it will be drunk later at home, or take the bottle along in my pack or bicycle for drinking on the go.

I start green teas in cool or cold water and chill them in the fridge.