Apr 11th, '15, 23:28

Artisan tea tools and where to find them

by Tewa » Apr 11th, '15, 23:28

From time to time, I've seen users post pictures of their teaware which sometimes includes this particular type of clearly artisan-constructed tea tools which I cannot find much info on. After a bit of research, the style I'm seeking is seemingly 'Taiwan Chayi', a term I gleaned from TeaArt08's posts of his handiwork in this thread
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19436 .

The set I've seen usually includes a scoop from preferably hardwood (also seen bamboo root) and a skinny pick for shuffling leafs in a pot, which rests on a third piece of wood functioning as a pick-stand. I'm not so interested on whether or not this is actually this so-called Taiwan Chayi-style as much as I'm interested in finding either a standard set of these simple tools, or an artisan-made hardwood set.

I've done a fair amount of googling and short of a rather boring set of tools from TaiwanTeaCrafts, I haven't found anything that is quite what I'm looking for. The set I'm referring to can be found here:

http://www.taiwanteacrafts.com/product/ ... -tool-set/

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by Tewa on Apr 12th, '15, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 12th, '15, 00:22

Re: Artisan tea tools and where to find them

by kiwi303 » Apr 12th, '15, 00:22

Apr 12th, '15, 02:01

by Tewa » Apr 12th, '15, 02:01

These are the mass produced pieces I'm trying to avoid, they look nice but are so easily found at any one of a number of sites. Besides I like the minimalist look and there are extra tools I won't use. It's just not what I'm looking for simply put.

Thanks though!

Apr 12th, '15, 03:01

by kiwi303 » Apr 12th, '15, 03:01

Thats what I bought not long before, mass produced, sure, but they still fit the moment better than stainless out of the cutlery drawer and the plastic n glass french press I used before finding YiXing.

For absolute minimalist, go to the beach, or river bank if you are too far inland, find a nice stick n put one end through a pencil sharpener, the scoop can easily be a nice half of a bivalve shell, some driftwood for the rest.

Apr 12th, '15, 05:18

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Apr 12th, '15, 05:18

Tewa,

Greetings! I am continuing to make pieces. My tea ware is currently being sold in three different tea houses in Taiwan. The pieces come in custom bags made of Japanese fabric by a master seamstress in Taiwan.

Currently I am working with Redwood, Japanese Bamboo, Black Walnut, Hickory, Bolivian Rosewood, Various Oaks, Hawaiian Koa, Mahogany, and other woods. I work with stock wood as well as wild woods found on hikes with my son in the Sierra and along the north coast of California.

However, right now I am preparing for a show at the Museum of Fine Arts Qiu Shan Tang/秋山堂 tea house in Taizhong, Taiwan in May. Thus I am setting all the pieces/sets of the last three months aside for the trip to Taiwan. I have invited Petr Novak and Andrzej Bero to the show and our shared show will begin on May 10th-May31st for anyone in Taiwan who would like to see the show in person. I will be in Taiwan for the month of May for the show and for the spring tea harvest. After I return, if you still haven't found anything that meets your needs it would be an honor to make something with/for you and we can discuss it through pm if you'd like.

I threw together a quick album on Photobucket. I haven't been photographing many of my pieces recently being so busy producing work for the show but here are a few older pieces of various woods: http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Teawa ... t=6&page=1

Blessings!

Apr 12th, '15, 06:23

by bonescwa » Apr 12th, '15, 06:23

I asked this same question a while ago, and there wasn't really much online that anybody found.

Apr 12th, '15, 07:57

by Bef » Apr 12th, '15, 07:57

Apr 12th, '15, 14:54

by JBaymore » Apr 12th, '15, 14:54

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:However, right now I am preparing for a show at the Museum of Fine Arts Qiu Shan Tang/秋山堂 tea house in Taizhong, Taiwan in May.
Beautiful work!

best,

..............john

Apr 13th, '15, 15:36

by Tewa » Apr 13th, '15, 15:36

kiwi303 wrote: For absolute minimalist, go to the beach, or river bank if you are too far inland, find a nice stick n put one end through a pencil sharpener, the scoop can easily be a nice half of a bivalve shell, some driftwood for the rest.
You actually triggered some creative ideas on my part, this isn't a bad start for what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks dude!
bonescwa wrote:I asked this same question a while ago, and there wasn't really much online that anybody found.
Yeah I came across your post almost immediately but there hasn't been much follow-up by the community in the interim. It's too bad, really. Judging from the links posted by Bef on Pinkoi, I'm hoping there's at least a few more sites in Mandarin that sell the style of wares I'm looking for, but they're difficult to find using english. Google translator is a bit of a pain in the ass and I'm sure my bank is gonna have another fit if I can't use paypal so maybe it's not worth the time.
Last edited by Tewa on Apr 13th, '15, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 13th, '15, 15:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 13th, '15, 15:56

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote: Greetings! I am continuing to make pieces. My tea ware is currently being sold in three different tea houses in Taiwan. The pieces come in custom bags made of Japanese fabric by a master seamstress in Taiwan.
Why do not you start to carve some pieces for TC? I bet there could be many potential customer here! :roll: :mrgreen:

Regards.

Apr 14th, '15, 04:50

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Apr 14th, '15, 04:50

William wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote: Greetings! I am continuing to make pieces. My tea ware is currently being sold in three different tea houses in Taiwan. The pieces come in custom bags made of Japanese fabric by a master seamstress in Taiwan.
Why do not you start to carve some pieces for TC? I bet there could be many potential customer here! :roll: :mrgreen:

Regards.
William,

Thank you for the suggestion. It is sincerely a touching honor to have anyone use my pieces as part of their tea path and practice and thus far I've been mostly focused on Taiwan and making pieces for the tea house and Chayi tea settings there. I have the initial foundation for a blog space built but it remains unfinished. A tea ware potter friend has also encouraged me to set up an Etsy space but I haven't taken the full steps to do so. When I finish all the pieces for the show I'll try to put up some pictures and after Taiwan take more steps to make the pieces available here for anyone that is interested.

Thanks again,

Blessings!

Apr 23rd, '15, 04:45

by AdmiralKelvinator » Apr 23rd, '15, 04:45

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:
However, right now I am preparing for a show at the Museum of Fine Arts Qiu Shan Tang/秋山堂 tea house in Taizhong, Taiwan in May. Thus I am setting all the pieces/sets of the last three months aside for the trip to Taiwan. I have invited Petr Novak and Andrzej Bero to the show and our shared show will begin on May 10th-May31st for anyone in Taiwan who would like to see the show in person. I will be in Taiwan for the month of May for the show and for the spring tea harvest. After I return, if you still haven't found anything that meets your needs it would be an honor to make something with/for you and we can discuss it through pm if you'd like.

Blessings!
PM sent!

Apr 23rd, '15, 19:17

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Apr 23rd, '15, 19:17

Greetings everyone,
JBaymore wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:However, right now I am preparing for a show at the Museum of Fine Arts Qiu Shan Tang/秋山堂 tea house in Taizhong, Taiwan in May.
Beautiful work!

best,

..............john
John, Thank you and sorry for the late response!

Admiral, Thank you for the pm. I returned a pm to your inbox!

This is a piece for the upcoming show. The wood is Hickory with a beautiful knot woven into the grain. The piece is naturally sealed and sanded to grit # 10,000.

The show will start on May 5th at the National Museum of Fine Arts Qiu Shan Tang tea house (台灣國美秋山堂) in Taizhong, Taiwan(台中,台灣) and carry on until May 31st for anyone that is in Taizhong and would like to stop by and sit down for tea or to see the pieces in the show. The show will contain pieces from Mirka, Petr, Andrzej, and myself. There will be a formal tea gathering on May 18th for the show.

Apr 24th, '15, 01:51

by Bok » Apr 24th, '15, 01:51

Very nice! I will put that into my calendar and head to Taichung for the occasion. So 18th is probably the most interesting day with the tea ceremony, or would you recommend another day/s ?

Apr 24th, '15, 04:57

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Apr 24th, '15, 04:57

Bok wrote:Very nice! I will put that into my calendar and head to Taichung for the occasion. So 18th is probably the most interesting day with the tea ceremony, or would you recommend another day/s ?
Bok, If you come on down, come after the 14th. I'll pm you tomorrow with details!

Blessings!

+ Post Reply