2015 Chinese Green Excitement

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 14th, '15, 15:48

2015 Chinese Green Excitement

by Zacherywolf7 » Apr 14th, '15, 15:48

It is about that time of the year! Vendors should start getting there shipments of fresh new tea. I thought I would make this thread to see what everyone else had their eyes on. I am going to buy a bunch of greens when I can, and probably almost exclusively be drinking green (a little young sheng on the side) from May to August. Maybe a couple questions:

How does everyone brew? In a gaiwan, just in a cup with leaves sprinkled on top,etc.?
Favorite vendors for Chinese green tea?
Favorite type of Chinese green tea?
What are you planning on buying this year?

Apr 14th, '15, 20:18

Re: 2015 Chinese Green Excitement

by JRS22 » Apr 14th, '15, 20:18

I recently purchased a gorgeous Seong-il gaiwan that I'm looking forward to using to brew chinese greens. One of my favorite chinese greens is Tai Ping Hou Kui and this vertically oriented gaiwan will be perfect for it. Last year I bought all my chinese greens from Tea Trekker and my other favorite is Buddha's Tea aka Jiu Hua Shan Fo Cha. Tea Trekker has begun posting expected arrival dates for 2015 teas and both of these are expected on 5/25/15. Once theyre available I'll read through the descriptions of other new teas and add one or two to my order. Theyre in MA and I'm in NJ so the teas arrive quickly.

Apr 14th, '15, 23:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 14th, '15, 23:16

I have so much green tea from last year that I don't think I'll buy any this year unless I am in China. I probably won't be able to resist green tea purchases in Japan though!

I use a simple Jingdezhen teapot/gaiwan combo (gaiwan with a handle and spout) I bought a few blocks from home. I was a little sad to see that the store I bought so much of my cheaper porcelain teawares from is now a cell phone accessory store. :(

Apr 15th, '15, 09:13

by JRS22 » Apr 15th, '15, 09:13

My very elegant Hong Seong-il gaiwan is tall enough so that those long TPHK leaves can stand upright. The second photo is from a test with a few stray 2014 leaves.

Apr 19th, '15, 23:29

by z_lamp » Apr 19th, '15, 23:29

I've got 50g Da Fo Long Jing coming from Life in Teacup sometime soon... First time doing green tea preorders, so I stayed pretty conservative. I'm excited though -- I've barely ever had proper Long Jing.

Apr 20th, '15, 09:17
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Apr 20th, '15, 09:17

I have lots of greens coming from Yunnan Sourcing. The prices are so reasonable, and Mao Fengs have become daily drinkers for me. Really excited about their pure buds too, though I guess they are technically a white tea.

Apr 22nd, '15, 11:48

by djtanng » Apr 22nd, '15, 11:48

I got about 500g of Longjing Meijiawu Village coming from Tea Trekker, (the most I've ever purchased at one time).

I usually drink and/or brew from an 8 oz gaiwan, but sometimes I use a 16 oz cup with a metal strainer.

My two favorite tea vendors are www.teatrekker.com and www.teaspring.com. I also like yunnansourcing.com for their puer and tea wares.

I'm always on the look out for great vendors with fair pricing that I've never tried before, and I also need to find a great Japanese vendor for sencha too.

Apr 24th, '15, 14:12

by thirst » Apr 24th, '15, 14:12

Regarding Yunnan Sourcing, their spring 2015 teas will be 10% off for a few days. Any opinions on what to potentially get, given that e.g. their Longjings are so much cheaper than those of Teaspring etc.? Also, is there a point in buying spring teas from categories other than green? Whites, perhaps? Hold off hongcha and oolongs and buy older ones?

Apr 24th, '15, 15:49

by Zacherywolf7 » Apr 24th, '15, 15:49

thirst wrote:Regarding Yunnan Sourcing, their spring 2015 teas will be 10% off for a few days. Any opinions on what to potentially get, given that e.g. their Longjings are so much cheaper than those of Teaspring etc.? Also, is there a point in buying spring teas from categories other than green? Whites, perhaps? Hold off hongcha and oolongs and buy older ones?
I'd imagine whites. Although now some are being aged? Unoxidized, unroasted green oolongs should be bought fresh.

Apr 26th, '15, 07:21

by Silvarine » Apr 26th, '15, 07:21

It's just some months that I enjoy drinking tea properly so this would be my first seasonal order.
I want to try some Long jing with a higher quality than I'm used to and i had a look at the most popular websites (tea trekker, yunnan sourcing and tea spring). I see that there is a big difference in price between yunnan sourcing and the other sites, does anyone know the reason for this? Is it a matter of quality?

Apr 26th, '15, 11:51

by puerhking » Apr 26th, '15, 11:51

Silvarine wrote:It's just some months that I enjoy drinking tea properly so this would be my first seasonal order.
I want to try some Long jing with a higher quality than I'm used to and i had a look at the most popular websites (tea trekker, yunnan sourcing and tea spring). I see that there is a big difference in price between yunnan sourcing and the other sites, does anyone know the reason for this? Is it a matter of quality?
Overall Yunnan Sourcing has excellent quality tea especially puerh and hongcha. The oolongs are quite good also....I haven't tried the long jing but I did order some. If you want another high quality source for long jing you might want to try http://www.jingteashop.com

Apr 28th, '15, 02:07

by z_lamp » Apr 28th, '15, 02:07

Oh, just a general chinese green question... Do any of you have a favorite Mao Jian that's being produced this year? I've had Jing's when I was first getting into tea and loved it, but that's it really.

Apr 28th, '15, 02:08

by z_lamp » Apr 28th, '15, 02:08

Bah, duplicate, sorry.
Last edited by z_lamp on Apr 28th, '15, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 28th, '15, 11:36

by puerhking » Apr 28th, '15, 11:36

z_lamp wrote:Oh, just a general chinese green question... Do any of you have a favorite Mao Jian that's being produced this year? I've had Jing's when I was first getting into tea and loved it, but that's it really.
Theirs is the best one I have tasted.

Apr 29th, '15, 15:48

by Silvarine » Apr 29th, '15, 15:48

puerhking wrote:
Silvarine wrote:It's just some months that I enjoy drinking tea properly so this would be my first seasonal order.
Overall Yunnan Sourcing has excellent quality tea especially puerh and hongcha. The oolongs are quite good also....I haven't tried the long jing but I did order some. If you want another high quality source for long jing you might want to try http://www.jingteashop.com
I did buy from yunnan sourcing in the end! I decided to buy all of their three different grades of long jing - so I hope I can try and understand the difference between the qualities :D

+ Post Reply