Green Tea Photography

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 24th, '15, 14:09

Green Tea Photography

by beforewisdom » May 24th, '15, 14:09

I know this will make some people very educated in Japanese green tea grown, but I've noticed that on web sites for tea merchants Japanese (steamed) style green tea is always shown as a healthy green.

Often when I've made it home, following all of the directions, I get a yellowish green liquid, like fading grass.

I wonder if people who make the pictures for the web sites know a little something more about how to take pictures of green tea, the way some photographers specialize in food photography.

For instance, I drink my sencha out of glass tea cups. I noticed that the yellow stands out more. However, when I use a white tea cup, the liquid looks more green against it.

I've also noticed that the tea looks more yellow and less green under the bright lights of my office, but the sencha looks more green in my more dimly lit living room.

I've seen newbies to Japanese green tea ask about getting green, green tea so I thought I would suggest getting Chinese ( roasted ) green tea once in a while to help them gauge the difference. I've noticed that Chinese green tea will produce a deeply golden liquid that makes sencha look very green in comparison.

May 25th, '15, 18:08

Re: Green Tea Photography

by chingwa » May 25th, '15, 18:08

photoshop perhaps?

Most sencha is actually a pale yellow to a yellow-green. The deeper steamed fukamushi teas are almost always green though... but often a cloudy green.

+ Post Reply