A Different League of Pu Collectors and Drinkers

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 1st, '15, 12:28

A Different League of Pu Collectors and Drinkers

by apache » Nov 1st, '15, 12:28

I saw that and if you enjoy puerh p0rn just click the link below and don't blame me if after seeing this you find yourself rather depress about your own tea collection!

Mean while I'm happily drinking a 2005 Dayi tuo.

Puerh Tea Pictures

Nov 1st, '15, 14:40

Re: A Different League of Pu Collectors and Drinkers

by miig » Nov 1st, '15, 14:40

wow, thats quite something! Thanks for sharing.

Nov 8th, '15, 17:52

by tingjunkie » Nov 8th, '15, 17:52

What? No 1860's tea brick? ...not that impressed. :lol:

Nov 8th, '15, 20:32

by toby » Nov 8th, '15, 20:32

Hahahaha...and the pots just lying there too.
Which 05 Dayi Tuo are you drinking?

Nov 9th, '15, 12:33

by apache » Nov 9th, '15, 12:33

tingjunkie wrote:What? No 1860's tea brick? ...not that impressed. :lol:
We look forwards you show us your 1860's tea brick ... :mrgreen:

Nov 9th, '15, 12:50

by apache » Nov 9th, '15, 12:50

toby wrote:Hahahaha...and the pots just lying there too.
Which 05 Dayi Tuo are you drinking?
It was this that day:
http://www.donghetea.com/goods.php?id=238

Today I am drinking 2008 Hailanghao BanE Laoshu which is one of the very few boutique cakes I have showing any promising ageing! whereas most big factories stuffs seem doing o.k. Tried some Xizihao "aged" sample the other day, it was awful! The great Shah is going to beat me up for posting such comment! :wink:

Nov 9th, '15, 16:36

by shah82 » Nov 9th, '15, 16:36

What was it and where was it aged?

I've always thought that you just didn't like the boutique thing very much and preferred the factory taste.

Hmph, you can definitely please me on good Dayi--Enjoyed a very nice session with the '05 Mengsong Peacock the other day, and I've just tried a bunch of them last month. In general, though, I find factory teas to be thin in character unless it's a special blend, and that this tends to be true from the late 80's to now. I also tend to think that aside from obvious stuff like the Gold Dayi and its like, Dayi sheng past 2008 is very marginal. Trying Douji and Xiaguan, but especially Douji, definitely reminded me that Dayi is very good at what they try to do (for the price).

As far as the Ban'E, you're quite welcome to it. That left more XZH for me.

I should add, when I think of the Ban'E, I generally think that I'd want more of that '05 CGHT Menghai Yieh Sheng. Also, the '05 CGHT Banzhang King is a Ban'E as well, and a bit nicer, if less durable than the HLH.

Nov 9th, '15, 19:32

by apache » Nov 9th, '15, 19:32

Only kidding man! You have sampled much more tea and read much more about tea than me. So your opinion would be more reliable than mine!

It was a 2007 XZH, I think it has some Nannuo material in it. I left it inside a tin for a few years. When I first got it, it tasted very nice and I was impressed, so I saved it for later. The last time I tried it, it has a rather unpleasant lingering taste, a bit like after the dentist. I still had that taste when I went to bed that night!

My argument against boutique young cakes is mainly that if you pay three or four times more, does it really taste three or four times better? Obviously taste is very subjective. But if you pay three or four in other stuffs, like cheese, chocolate, wine, the difference is very obvious but sadly it is not always the case with tea.

Nov 9th, '15, 20:12

by shah82 » Nov 9th, '15, 20:12

Oh, that one! All of the XZH maocha are problematic compared to the cake version. There was no Nannuo produced by XZH in after '06 and before '11.

That is, if you were talking about Nannuo maocha and not the '07 7542/8582/LongFeng. I'd bet it's the Longfeng that made you mad if not nannuo maocha.

No hostility from me, though, and all respect to your preferences. You have fairly clear preferences, or so I think, and it's comprehensible why you like the things you do. That is far more valuable than whether you like the things I do.

As for young boutiques, honestly, that issue can be very true, but be sure to figure out how much the factory actually cost today! These Yangqinghao group buys Emmett is doing is a big help in the sense that you have tea already with some age and some sense of how well it's doing for a reasonable sum.

Nov 9th, '15, 22:17

by tingjunkie » Nov 9th, '15, 22:17

apache wrote:
How about a video featuring one belonging to El Mandarino, which I was incredibly honored to get a chance to try. A once in a lifetime experience never to be forgotten!

Nov 11th, '15, 08:14

by apache » Nov 11th, '15, 08:14

tingjunkie wrote:
apache wrote:
How about a video featuring one belonging to El Mandarino, which I was incredibly honored to get a chance to try. A once in a lifetime experience never to be forgotten!
The tea master in the video must be TIM? Haven't heard from him on this forum for a very long time, I hope he is doing o.k.

Nov 11th, '15, 08:22

by apache » Nov 11th, '15, 08:22

shah82 wrote:Oh, that one! All of the XZH maocha are problematic compared to the cake version. There was no Nannuo produced by XZH in after '06 and before '11.

That is, if you were talking about Nannuo maocha and not the '07 7542/8582/LongFeng. I'd bet it's the Longfeng that made you mad if not nannuo maocha.

No hostility from me, though, and all respect to your preferences. You have fairly clear preferences, or so I think, and it's comprehensible why you like the things you do. That is far more valuable than whether you like the things I do.

As for young boutiques, honestly, that issue can be very true, but be sure to figure out how much the factory actually cost today! These Yangqinghao group buys Emmett is doing is a big help in the sense that you have tea already with some age and some sense of how well it's doing for a reasonable sum.
I think that was probably 2007 YUAN SHI LIN? It was from a cake. Anyhow, I don't have any more of that tea even sample.
Yes, I tend to stick with stuff which is drinkable for me and very lazy when it comes to exploring new stuff. After all, I just want a cup of half decent tea without all the fuss.

Nov 12th, '15, 01:21

by tingjunkie » Nov 12th, '15, 01:21

apache wrote:The tea master in the video must be TIM? Haven't heard from him on this forum for a very long time, I hope he is doing o.k.
The one and only. Aside from being too damn busy all the time, he's good. :wink:

+ Post Reply