Nov 21st, '16, 09:39
Vendor Member

bombilla, tea straw

by ethan » Nov 21st, '16, 09:39

Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

Fortunately, I dislike this beverage so am not confronted w/ the moral dilemma involved in a product (yerba mate) which is harvested by children who do not attend school. I am attracted to the bombilla.

Nov 21st, '16, 21:51

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by Bok » Nov 21st, '16, 21:51

ethan wrote:Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

Fortunately, I dislike this beverage so am not confronted w/ the moral dilemma involved in a product (yerba mate) which is harvested by children who do not attend school. I am attracted to the bombilla.
The other crazy thing about this metal straw is that there is no way not to burn your tongue… I once asked Urugayan friends how they do it, and they simply replied “you just get used to it” …

There seems to be a higher rate of mouth located cancers though among avid yerba mate consumers like the gouchos :oops:

Nov 22nd, '16, 01:03

by yalokinh » Nov 22nd, '16, 01:03

Bok wrote:
ethan wrote:Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

The other crazy thing about this metal straw is that there is no way not to burn your tongue… I once asked Urugayan friends how they do it, and they simply replied “you just get used to it” …

There seems to be a higher rate of mouth located cancers though among avid yerba mate consumers like the gouchos :oops:
I can't imagine drinking yerba with anything hotter than 130°F, that's just painful.

Nov 22nd, '16, 07:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 22nd, '16, 07:09

yalokinh wrote:
Bok wrote:

I can't imagine drinking yerba with anything hotter than 130°F, that's just painful.
Yep, gotta drink mate cool or you'll think young factory sheng is sweet in comparison! I can't drink mate--makes me a nervous, jittery wreck!

The standard bombillas are cheap metal. I'm sure there are better stainless ones out there. I had a glass/mesh/plastic one for coffee that worked quite well, but it let fine grit through.

Nov 22nd, '16, 10:37
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 22nd, '16, 10:37

Amazon offers these. The ? is, would we use them? While one is drinking, tea continues steeping.

Nov 22nd, '16, 11:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 22nd, '16, 11:30

Grandpa brewing. A smsll amount of leaf in a lot of water

Nov 23rd, '16, 15:54

by yalokinh » Nov 23rd, '16, 15:54

jayinhk wrote:Grandpa brewing. A smsll amount of leaf in a lot of water
I do 1/2 of a 120ml gourd, water temp at 130°F, not to much different than gong fu really, the only problem begin the first two infusions will kick you in the teeth. It is possible to do a ton of leaf

+ Post Reply