Yixing tea pot help

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 27th, '18, 20:40

Yixing tea pot help

by Jrowlands » Oct 27th, '18, 20:40

Hey everyone is there anything special I need to know when looking for a yixing tea pot for puerh tea. I'm new to puerh tea and have fallen in love with it, I really want to get a tea pot but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Nov 3rd, '18, 16:08

Re: Yixing tea pot help

by 12Tea » Nov 3rd, '18, 16:08

• Price: Go for something between 90-200 USD for you first Yixing. If you go cheaper, it probably won't be great.
  • Capacity: Go for something around 100-150ml if it's for 1-2p, Go for around 200-250ml if it's for more people
  • Appearance: Important as well, just go for what you like. Let the seller make more pics if you're not sure.
  • Clay type: I wouldn't be bothered too much with this at first, go for a colour you like. If you do,
  • Pouring: Make sure the teapot pours good, ask the seller how many holes the strainer inside the spout consists of
  • Certificate: as the seller if the teapot is accompanied with a certificate of the maker. And check if the teapot is stamped with the seal of the maker. Ask the seller if the maker is an certified tea artist by the Chinese authorities

Nov 5th, '18, 00:43

by bagua7 » Nov 5th, '18, 00:43

12Tea wrote: Dedicate the Yixing teapot only to one kind of tea.
Another urban myth.

I am constantly mixing pots for various teas and see no difference or whatsoever. But I don't brew a Taiwan mountain oolong in a zi ni pot because it kills the flavour.

Zi ni is probably the ideal clay for puer.

You can start with either of the two shuipings listed at the top:

https://www.chawangshop.com/tea-hardwar ... apots.html
Last edited by bagua7 on Nov 5th, '18, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 5th, '18, 00:47

by FBee » Nov 5th, '18, 00:47

Same as this one:
12Tea wrote:
  • Certificate: as the seller if the teapot is accompanied with a certificate of the maker. And check if the teapot is stamped with the seal of the maker. Ask the seller if the maker is an certified tea artist by the Chinese authorities
Certificate is a nice piece of paper, but the lack of it does not mean anything. If there is one, it does not prove much either...

Also excludes all the vintage and antique pots, which are most often the most desirable ones. Due to rare and pure clays. Those will never have a certificate...

Nov 5th, '18, 00:53

by bagua7 » Nov 5th, '18, 00:53

FBee wrote: Certificate
Yes I forgot, certificates mean nothing in this business. China is the forgery capital of the world! :)

Nov 5th, '18, 01:02

by Puerh3 » Nov 5th, '18, 01:02

Hi!

Get a purion teapot!! The one from Lin’s ceramic studio are very nice!!

Purion enhance the puerh tea experience! They also make purion kettle!

Cheers!

Nov 19th, '18, 04:04

by tingjunkie » Nov 19th, '18, 04:04

Speaking in generalities, for young sheng I prefer to taste all the high notes, so I tend to like high fired red clay; zhu ni, hong ni, or even Taiwanese red clay. For well aged sheng I like higher fired sandy purple clay to slightly round out any storage notes and improve the mouthfeel. For shou, a medium fired purple clay will do, as well as high fired duan ni, in order to cover up the wet fermentation notes (wo dui). These re just my preferences though.

If you drink a lot of young sheng with long leaves, a pot with a wide opening makes sense. All good puerh should handle tons of heat, so thinker walls can be good too. Ultimately my advice would be to buy the best clay you can afford in the right size teapot. Clay quality is ultimately more important than color most of the time.

+ Post Reply