Feb 27th, '19, 19:56

Alcohol brazier - plate to distribute the heat

by Beta Smiles » Feb 27th, '19, 19:56

Hi there

I have a tetsubin. I currently heat it (and keep it warm) by infra red hotplate.

I would like to switch to a method of boiling on the hotplate, and then switching to an alcohol brazier to keep warm (for purely aesthetic reasons - the alcohol brazier looks nicer and doesn't make a sound).

Instead of having the tetsubin directly over the alcohol flame, I would like to have it on a plate of some sort (maybe steel or clay) to distribute the heat from the flame and to avoid the kettle from getting a localised rust spot on its base.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? I'd be grateful for any recommendations for how it DIY such a plate or source one.

Cheers

Jul 16th, '20, 20:47

Re: Alcohol brazier - plate to distribute the heat

by TakedaMasaki » Jul 16th, '20, 20:47

It's nice to see a fellow tetsubin enthusiast here. Regarding your question, alchohol should be safe to use with a tetsubin as the flame does not container water and therefore can not rust. We while you could use a cast iron plate to put the tetsubin on, it will make heating less efficient. If your concerned about rust anyway though, I would recommend placing the alcohol flame so it is close enough to the tetsubin to heat it although far enough where it is not touching.

Jul 18th, '20, 07:42

Re: Alcohol brazier - plate to distribute the heat

by beiosto » Jul 18th, '20, 07:42

TakedaMasaki wrote: It's nice to see a fellow tetsubin enthusiast here. Regarding your question, alchohol should be safe to use with a tetsubin as the flame does not container water and therefore can not rust.
Alcohol will produce water after burning, because it contains hydrogen. The formula for alcohol is C2H5OH, the hydrogen will make H2O and the Carbon CO2.

+ Post Reply