How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 4th 07 8:11 pm
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 4th 07 8:08 pm

How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by egyprince » Apr 4th 07 8:11 pm

How much tea do i use per cup?
Considering that it is rolled into compressed balls.

User avatar
Apr 4th 07 9:05 pm
Posts: 53
Joined: Jan 9th 07 9:47 pm

by guitarfreak2641 » Apr 4th 07 9:05 pm

I make it like any other green tea. try about one tsp. for every cup of water and go from there. Just experement with it.

Aug 27th 09 4:58 pm
Posts: 1
Joined: Aug 27th 09 4:43 pm

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by otterp » Aug 27th 09 4:58 pm

Gunpowder tea is very strong and delicious, but if you aren't careful, it can be bitter and sour. Error on having not enough rather than too much. Brew with not quite boiling water for only a minute or so. You can do a second brew with boiling water for a bit longer. I have read of adding ginger, sugar, and lots of mint to the second brew for an African style drink. I have yet to try that.

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 12:25 am
Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2nd 09 1:31 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by brad4419 » Aug 28th 09 12:25 am

You could make some morrocan mint if you have any fresh mint layin around. I have only made it once and I really can't remember exactly how heres a link about morrocan mint http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... int#p18077

When I made it I just made gunpowder green separate and then add some mint for several minutes. I think theres all kinds of other things you can add like cinnamon.

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 8:34 am
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by tenuki » Aug 28th 09 8:34 am

If I find gunpower green in my tea pot I immediately throw it out and replace it with bi luo chun or westlake dragonwell.

Aug 28th 09 4:19 pm
Posts: 298
Joined: Jan 6th 09 2:43 am
Location: GA

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by Ebtoulson » Aug 28th 09 4:19 pm

tenuki wrote:If I find gunpower green in my tea pot I immediately throw it out and replace it with bi luo chun or westlake dragonwell.
lol, I still enjoy some gunpowder every now and again. Had it this morning a matter of fact... I do love me some dragonwell though.

How are you brewing your gunpowder? If its western I use about 3/4 teaspoon for every 6-8 oz. Brew with 180 F for 3 mins. I like mine a little strong but tea is all preference so you need to experiment with what you like.

User avatar
Aug 30th 09 1:03 am
Posts: 2000
Joined: Mar 3rd 09 10:18 pm

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by entropyembrace » Aug 30th 09 1:03 am

I brew my gunpowder tea with just under 2 teaspoons of tea for about 300ml of water. I use water that's just below boiling...I boil it then let it sit a few minutes before pouring into the pot. For the infusion time I let it go maybe 3 or 4 minutes for the first infusion then longer for the 2nd and 3rd. 4th infusion tastes flat.

Not all gunpowder is trash I get 100g for about $10 at a local store of Formosa Gunpowder and it never gets bitter even if I forget it in the pot. Okay it's not fantastic tea like high grade long jing but it is quite drinkable and enjoyable and doesn't cost a whole lot.

User avatar
Aug 30th 09 2:18 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by Chip » Aug 30th 09 2:18 am

tenuki wrote:If I find gunpower green in my tea pot I immediately throw it out and replace it with bi luo chun or westlake dragonwell.
Oddly I was just given 2 samples of Gunpowder green that kinda shocked the **** out of me. Just really odd coming from this particular source :shock: :lol: , fortunately the other gift samples are much more interesting.

Now what to do with two gunpowder samples ... maybe Moroccan Mint?

User avatar
Aug 30th 09 4:51 am
Posts: 734
Joined: Jan 27th 09 2:52 pm
Location: Alice's Tea Party

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by woozl » Aug 30th 09 4:51 am

yeah,
the gunny can be tough.
brew 'er cold with mint & touch o beez :mrgreen:

Oct 1st 10 5:57 am
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 7th 10 4:01 am

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by xhado123 » Oct 1st 10 5:57 am

I've found satisfactory results at 165 F for two minutes, but I like a bit of bitterness to my teas. One teaspoon per 8oz. is fine, but as previously mentioned, tea is very personal. Experiment!

Oct 13th 10 6:50 am
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 13th 10 6:24 am

Re: How do you brew loose leaf gunpowder green tea?

by Herbal Tea Lover » Oct 13th 10 6:50 am

I come across an article that can answer your question. Let's see if it can offer you help. :wink:

Make and Drink Green Tea Properly
http://quazen.com/recreation/food/make- ... -properly/