Jul 13th, '07, 14:43

Picking out a Gaiwan

by Deffy » Jul 13th, '07, 14:43

Decided I wanted to take brewing Oolongs to the next level and want to purchase a Gaiwan. Ideally I'd like to pick out a Gaiwan and matching tasting cups, but also see there are a lot more accessories (aroma cups, pitchers, trays, etc.)

I'm checking out the ones on Imperial Tea's website but not sure if there are any important factors to consider in chosing a proper Gaiwan? Any characteristcs, sizes? Things to avoid? Materials?

Any other online shops you can suggest?

On another note, defiately getting some more Wu Yi Ensamble and Ti Kuan Yin, another sampler or too of Oooooh Darjeeling (my favorite!). Found the Jasmine way too flowery for my tastes. Any other suggestions?

Jul 13th, '07, 16:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jul 13th, '07, 16:16

Size-wise: I have a few different sized gaiwans at the moment and the one that sees by far the most tea is the 100ml, approx, fairly plain white one. I prefer small and plain as it gives more control over brewing. I use my larger gaiwan if I'm brewing lots of green tea for guests and I use my larger thicked walled gaiwan if I'm brewing darker tea as it is less likely burn me when doing a few infusions in a row.

FunAlliance.com is well worth a look for teaware and I've never heard anyone complain about the service, quite the opposite in fact.

Jul 13th, '07, 17:50

by Space Samurai » Jul 13th, '07, 17:50

My first gaiwan was from funalliance, http://funalliance.com/tea/htm/gaiwan/870100190.htm. Their service was great, but in the end I wasn't happy with it. There were flaws (but I did pick the cheapest one I could find) and it was 6 ounces. I thought I wanted a larger gaiwan, but it turned out I didn't

I bought this one next, http://www.redblossomtea.com/details.ph ... n&item=950. I absolutely love this one. It has been perfect, and their customer service is great. They also have a good selection of oolongs.

Jul 13th, '07, 18:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 13th, '07, 18:26

I highly recommend searching around ebay. You can get some of the same products for a lot cheaper.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 26th, '07, 01:53

Re: Picking out a Gaiwan

by kodama » Jul 26th, '07, 01:53

Good TKY is my reason for being at the moment - a bit flowery, but only in the way Sencha is, not like jasmine. Much lighter than WuYi.

+ Post Reply