Best Japanese Green Teas... in your opinion

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Apr 25th 08 2:01 am
Posts: 281
Joined: Mar 6th 08 11:02 pm
Location: immersed in tea

Best Japanese Green Teas... in your opinion

by trent » Apr 25th 08 2:01 am

So... there are quite a few japanese vendors out there, and I was wondering which vendor you think has the best tea in each of the following categories. From what I gather, alot of you prefer o-cha tea, am I right?

Best fukamushi?
Best top of the line asamushi sencha?
Best gyokuro?
Best matcha?

&

Best Houjicha?
Best Kukicha?
Best Genmaicha?
Best mecha, bancha, or any other japanese green?

Thanks!
Last edited by trent on Apr 25th 08 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 25th 08 2:40 am

by Ed » Apr 25th 08 2:40 am

O-cha is indeed my favorite. I've had quite a few fukamushi sencha, and theirs is by far the best... at least according to my taste buds.

Apr 25th 08 2:44 am
Posts: 259
Joined: Feb 17th 08 5:54 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by devites » Apr 25th 08 2:44 am

Best Fukamushi is the Fukamushi Sencha Supreme o-cha
not sure about asamushi
Gyokuro is the Uji Gyoko Hou from O-cha
Do Matcha is my favorite but I haven't really had much else.

User avatar
Apr 25th 08 2:58 am
Posts: 1136
Joined: Dec 2nd 07 10:53 pm
Location: New York

by joelbct » Apr 25th 08 2:58 am

Favorite Sencha: Chiran Kanaya Midori, an intensely green and vegetal but perfectly balanced, slightly sweet, distinctive Kagoshima.

Matcha: So far, my favorites are: Ippodo's Wakamatsu-no-mukashi, Ito En's Matcha Koto no Tsuki, O-Cha's Organic Kaoru.
Last edited by joelbct on May 3rd 08 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Apr 25th 08 3:02 am
Posts: 747
Joined: Dec 30th 07 5:10 am
Location: Earth

by PolyhymnianMuse » Apr 25th 08 3:02 am

What about Houjicha?

Or Genmaicha and its variants?

User avatar
Apr 25th 08 3:08 am
Posts: 281
Joined: Mar 6th 08 11:02 pm
Location: immersed in tea

by trent » Apr 25th 08 3:08 am

I was originally sticking to the higher grades, but I just added houjicha etc...

User avatar
Apr 25th 08 3:34 am
Posts: 1559
Joined: Jan 28th 07 7:24 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

by Space Samurai » Apr 25th 08 3:34 am

Matcha: Hands down Ocha. So far it has been my experience that they out perform other vendors. I'm still trying other vendors though. I tend not to buy the same matcha twice. Each time I look for something new.

Fuka: Den's Tea

Kukicha: Rishi Tea just discontinued it in favor of an organic kukicha, but what they had was damn good in my opinion.