Russian Caravan Tea appreciation thread

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 27th 08 5:36 am

Russian Caravan Tea appreciation thread

by Deleted User #20247 » Jun 27th 08 5:36 am

I love the stuff! :D

My friend introduced it to me awhile ago and its a great tea.

Gotta have it black with one sugar i don't like tannin taste myself. :) I use twinings loose leaf because thats the only brand available here. :?

Jul 5th 08 2:37 am
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th 08 3:03 am

by edkrueger » Jul 5th 08 2:37 am

I second.

Jul 5th 08 5:44 pm
Posts: 183
Joined: May 31st 08 3:52 pm

by Ti » Jul 5th 08 5:44 pm

I used to like that Twinings Russian Caravan but they don't sell it around here any more. Someone here suggested I try here http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/item.a ... egoryID=40
I called to order last week and they were closed for vacation.

User avatar
Jul 5th 08 6:11 pm
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

by tenuki » Jul 5th 08 6:11 pm

Hey, I like appreciating things, could someone post some instructions on getting / making Russian Caravan so I can join you?

thanks!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 9th 08 11:54 am

by Deleted User #20247 » Jul 9th 08 11:54 am

tenuki wrote:Hey, I like appreciating things, could someone post some instructions on getting / making Russian Caravan so I can join you?

thanks!
Getting well just use google i dont know where to get it online because i buy it from my local supermarket.

As for making as you do with your other teas nothing special i leave it to steep for 5 minutes but its personal preference.

Jul 20th 08 3:43 am
Posts: 74
Joined: Mar 11th 08 8:33 pm
Location: Kitchener Ontario Canada

by rodstnmn » Jul 20th 08 3:43 am

In honor of the Russian Caravan Tea appreciation thread I picked up a sample at my local tea shop. They had a smokey and a non- smokey version and I chose the non-smokey. On the package they mentioned a blend of 4 teas, Assam, Keemun, Chinese Lichee tea, and Lapsang Souchong.

This is an interesting blend, which I'll be keeping around to have when the mood strikes.
I used 1 heaping tsp.(3gr), 8 oz cup, full boil, 3 min. This was strong but okay.
2nd infusion, same time and amount, was weaker, but with lichee flavoring coming out.
My local vendor is:
http://www.distinctlytea.com/

Jul 21st 08 11:42 am

by Deleted User #20247 » Jul 21st 08 11:42 am

rodstnmn wrote:In honor of the Russian Caravan Tea appreciation thread I picked up a sample at my local tea shop. They had a smokey and a non- smokey version and I chose the non-smokey. On the package they mentioned a blend of 4 teas, Assam, Keemun, Chinese Lichee tea, and Lapsang Souchong.

This is an interesting blend, which I'll be keeping around to have when the mood strikes.
I used 1 heaping tsp.(3gr), 8 oz cup, full boil, 3 min. This was strong but okay.
2nd infusion, same time and amount, was weaker, but with lichee flavoring coming out.
My local vendor is:
http://www.distinctlytea.com/
Get the smoky one the smoky flavour is half the tea.

Jul 28th 08 1:10 am
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th 08 3:03 am

by edkrueger » Jul 28th 08 1:10 am

Rodstnmn Russian caravan is nothing like what I was thinking of. Mine is a blend of Lapsang Souchong [Wuyi] blended with some other chinese tea(s) [I think mine is Wuyi or Yunnan.]

Here is a Wiki Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Caravan

Here is a creation story: http://www.peets.com/shop/tea_detail.as ... 1&cid=2003
[Though it only mentions the legend and not the more believable creation story]

Here is my source: https://www.thepathoftea.com/tea_shop1.htm#73

User avatar
Jul 29th 08 12:53 am
Posts: 183
Joined: Oct 6th 07 9:17 pm
Location: Denver, CO

by Thirsty Daruma » Jul 29th 08 12:53 am

EdKrueger's Russian Caravan is the Russian Caravan I've always been familiar with. Actually, the Lapsang is so prominent that I occasionally have difficulty convincing myself it's a blend of any kind. I don't mind, smoky is good, but it goes to show how these brutally dark flavors can sort of meld.

User avatar
Jul 30th 08 4:20 pm
Posts: 200
Joined: Feb 26th 08 2:01 pm

by JM » Jul 30th 08 4:20 pm

I've never ordered tea online and known of the local stores carry Russian Caravan...I'm dying to try it. A friend of mine said he picked some up somewhere so I'll have to ask him where he got it.

User avatar
Jul 31st 08 3:28 am
Posts: 1289
Joined: May 10th 08 11:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

by kymidwife » Jul 31st 08 3:28 am

JM wrote:I've never ordered tea online and known of the local stores carry Russian Caravan...I'm dying to try it. A friend of mine said he picked some up somewhere so I'll have to ask him where he got it.
Not sure which local stores you might shop from, but thought I would share this information. I bought some Russian Caravan in a mall-chain kitchen store that sells loose leaf tea (I think it was Kitchen Accents)... and it was just terrible... as were the other 2 teas I bought there. They smelled good, but the flavor was dreadful.

My RC from Upton's was very nice... that's the only other one I've tried so far.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

User avatar
Jul 31st 08 4:58 am
Posts: 1936
Joined: May 22nd 06 3:28 pm
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

by hop_goblin » Jul 31st 08 4:58 am

If all fails try splashing a couple of drops of liquid smoke in a cuppa of Keemum! Kidding.. I like the stuff as well. :lol:

User avatar
Nov 15th 08 1:52 am
Posts: 18
Joined: Nov 7th 08 9:46 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

by paisleymonsoon » Nov 15th 08 1:52 am

Of course, I'm drinking Russian Caravan as I stumbled across this thread. :)

I find that I like Russian Caravan better than Lapsang Souchang because the smokey flavor is more subtle. It's definitely one of my must-have-on-hand favorites.

User avatar
Dec 20th 08 6:15 am
Posts: 17
Joined: Dec 17th 08 9:04 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA

by Yaanon » Dec 20th 08 6:15 am

Bump!

I too love a nice cup of Russian Caravan. The aroma brings back nice memories of a particularly large wildfire we had in San Diego when I lived there. Does anyone else recommend any good sites for Russian Caravan? The best I've had was from a little tea shop in Lititz, Pennsylvania and I've been ordering it from theteatable.com since then which is just okay. Any other recommendations?

User avatar
Dec 20th 08 7:46 am
Posts: 921
Joined: Feb 6th 08 9:57 am
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

by omegapd » Dec 20th 08 7:46 am

Upton's Tea has a few different ones you can sample.

http://www.uptontea.com/