Jul 7th, '08, 22:46

Traveling With Your Teaware?

by Thirsty Daruma » Jul 7th, '08, 22:46

I was prowling through Hou De's goodies today when this caught my eye.

http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... a3ae72358e

It's a Gaiwan set designed for traveling. Clicking for more pictures shows how the cups stack into the gaiwan and the whole thing fits into a little bag. I doubt its enough protection to shove the stuff into a crowded backpack, but I really like the concept, and the price is right.

Does anybody else know of any compact, mobile teaware like this? Also, any opinions on how this teaware would fare? Any signs of it ready to disintegrate? If not, I think I might have to lay down the money for one.

Jul 7th, '08, 22:51

by MarshalN » Jul 7th, '08, 22:51

It's fairly reasonably priced...

The only thing I have to say is that having the gaiwan and the cups knocking around like that.... something's going to break.

Jul 7th, '08, 23:42

by cane » Jul 7th, '08, 23:42

Yunnan sourcing has a very nice travel gaiwan set that I use, it has 6 small cups, a gaiwan, a sharing pitcher and a set of tongs. It also comes packaged in a travel case.

I personally have it in the bottom of my laptop backpack that I carry everywhere, although I generally dont toss my laptop bag around, it still goes with me to work every day in the car and into the office and so far I have not had any problems.

Here is one set but they have numerous designs.

Jul 7th, '08, 23:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 7th, '08, 23:55

Jul 8th, '08, 00:32

by Thirsty Daruma » Jul 8th, '08, 00:32

Cane, looks good. Is the Gaiwan "not too small"?

Also, Victoria, forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that the same set Cane lists but over four times the price? Talk about price disparities!

Jul 8th, '08, 09:14

by cane » Jul 8th, '08, 09:14

Thirsty Daruma wrote:Cane, looks good. Is the Gaiwan "not too small"?

Also, Victoria, forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that the same set Cane lists but over four times the price? Talk about price disparities!
It looks to me like Victoria's link is the same type of product, though they have different designs, but size and everything looks the same.

As far as the size...It is a little on the small side of what I would normally prefer to brew at my leisure. But for on the go purposes, if you are looking for gong fu brewing it is a good option because of the way it packs up, anything bigger and it wouldnt be as convenient to put in your bag and go.

Sometimes if I want a little more tea I will actually brew in the sharing pitcher and use the gaiwan lid to strain. It provides a few more mL i have found.

Jul 8th, '08, 13:17

by Victoria » Jul 8th, '08, 13:17

Thirsty Daruma wrote:Cane, looks good. Is the Gaiwan "not too small"?

Wow, so it seems - very close.

They are on the small side too.
You are probably better off just making your own travel set
with a cheap gaiwan and some padding inside a plastic box
that will not crush.

Jul 10th, '08, 02:46

by wyardley » Jul 10th, '08, 02:46

I have one of the cheapie travel sets (got it for about $2 US in Wuyishan). The design is smart since the cha hai and gaiwan fit inside each other, but the cha hai doesn't pour that neatly (which sucks since usually I don't have a tea tray when I'm travelling). But overall, a set like this is very convenient when travelling.

Don't know why the img tag isn't working, but anyway...
Last edited by wyardley on Jul 14th, '08, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 09:47

by Victoria » Jul 10th, '08, 09:47

wyardley wrote:I have one of the cheapie travel sets (got it for about $2 US in Wuyishan). The design is smart since the cha hai and gaiwan fit inside each other, but the cha hai doesn't pour that neatly (which sucks since usually I don't have a tea tray when I'm travelling). But overall, a set like this is very convenient when travelling.

Don't know why the img tag isn't working, but anyway...
Nice travel set.
(Your link won't work because the link must end with an image code to be recognized as an image. Take the "?v=o" off the end and it will)

Jul 10th, '08, 12:37

by keelyn » Jul 10th, '08, 12:37

Chinese Tea For You, YLLSC, and Enjoying Tea all have that travel tea set with different designs. I bought the one from ET just as a gongfu set and its a great size for gongfu for one, and at $23 its a much better price than Chinese Tea For You. Oh and if you sign up for ET's newsletter I think you can get another 10-15% off.

+ Post Reply