Jul 8th, '08, 20:28

Any users of unlined non-enamel coated Tetsubin users here?

by orguz » Jul 8th, '08, 20:28

I am interested whether any forum members use Tetsubins as a water kettle

Jul 8th, '08, 21:09

by chamekke » Jul 8th, '08, 21:09

I do... sort of.

I practice tea ceremony at home using an unlined cast-iron tetsubin. But rather than heat the water in the tetsubin itself, I usually boil it in an electric kettle, then transfer the water into the tetsubin and begin my practice. Quicker and easier, plus it ensures that the water isn't too hot for the matcha. Boiling = too hot for a good taste! (I place the tetsubin on a mini-hothplate to maintain the water temperature at hot-but-not-boiling.)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 8th, '08, 21:25

by orguz » Jul 8th, '08, 21:25

chamekke wrote:I do... sort of.

I practice tea ceremony at home using an unlined cast-iron tetsubin. But rather than heat the water in the tetsubin itself, I usually boil it in an electric kettle, then transfer the water into the tetsubin and begin my practice. Quicker and easier, plus it ensures that the water isn't too hot for the matcha. Boiling = too hot for a good taste! (I place the tetsubin on a mini-hothplate to maintain the water temperature at hot-but-not-boiling.)
If I may ask is there reason why you don't boil water in the tetsubin?

Jul 8th, '08, 21:42

by chamekke » Jul 8th, '08, 21:42

orguz wrote:If I may ask is there reason why you don't boil water in the tetsubin?
It's just faster - and easier - to heat the water in the electric kettle, since cast iron takes a while to heat and to get to the boiling point.

Also, since I don't want the water at a full boil anyhow, the slight cooling that happens when I transfer the water from one vessel to the other is actually welcome.

But then again, my tea needs here are pretty specific!

Jul 8th, '08, 21:54

by orguz » Jul 8th, '08, 21:54

Thanks for replying,

I use an induction stove and it takes 4 minutes at medium power to bring water to a boil. It's because of the cast iron that benefits the taste of water and tea that i prefer a tetsubin.

Jul 9th, '08, 01:43

by MarshalN » Jul 9th, '08, 01:43

I use one, actually, I have four... but I can only use one at a time.

Jul 9th, '08, 02:31

by Bert » Jul 9th, '08, 02:31

I do for all my teawater, I love the pour of it. For heating I use a induction plate.

Jul 10th, '08, 23:48

by Abracadaver! » Jul 10th, '08, 23:48

I just bought one, and haven't yet had a chance to use it. Any ideas on how best to prep the kettle before I use it the first time? The salesclerk at the shop I bought it from thought I should boil some rice down to mush in it, but he seemed shaky enough on that idea that I'd love to hear from someone with some experience.

+ Post Reply