Oct 2nd, '08, 13:07

Tea Trays - What to look for? Best Materials?

by t4texas » Oct 2nd, '08, 13:07

I have seen tea trays made of bamboo, hardwood and even beautifully carved out of stone. My understanding is that bamboo is resistant to water damage and I think that stone might cool a pot unless the stone itself was pre-heated by pouring hot water over it? Not sure about how hard woods would do. Anyone know what the pros and cons of the various materials are? Any good or bad experiences with these?

Other than materials, what to look for - or out for - in a tea tray.
Thanks,

t4texas

Oct 2nd, '08, 13:29

Re: Tea Trays - What to look for? Best Materials?

by wyardley » Oct 2nd, '08, 13:29

t4texas wrote:I have seen tea trays made of bamboo, hardwood and even beautifully carved out of stone. My understanding is that bamboo is resistant to water damage and I think that stone might cool a pot unless the stone itself was pre-heated by pouring hot water over it? Not sure about how hard woods would do. Anyone know what the pros and cons of the various materials are? Any good or bad experiences with these?

Other than materials, what to look for - or out for - in a tea tray.
Wood or bamboo ones without a plastic / metal tray or a drainage hole tend to leak, especially the cheaper ones. Sometimes you get lucky, but it's a crapshoot. I imagine if you are really careful about avoiding really drastic changes in temperature, or leaving stuff in there for hours, you might have good luck. The top of bamboo trays can also crack. The type with the plastic tray that slides out are pretty nice, though carrying that plastic tray once it's full of water and tea can be a bit tricky (I saw one recently with a pan made of something else, maybe metal, that seemed more sturdy).

I wouldn't worry about stone cooling down the pot since you'd already be pouring hot water over the pot repeatedly when you're heating it; some will end up on the stone. Plus you'd probably want to use a little pad under the teapot anyway to protect it from the rock.

Ceramic ones can be a little cramped, and if they slope down to the center, it can be a little awkward to brew on. The type with a plastic hose that drains to a bucket are nice if you're brewing a whole lot; otherwise, seems like it might be a bit of trouble.

At home recently, I've just been using a bamboo mat, tea towel, ceramic tea boat, and a ceramic waste bowl - not using the tea tray at all most of the time.

I have the bamboo tray that Hou De sells (I think Lin's has the same ones for cheaper, though not sure if that's where Guang gets them) -- theirs are expensive, but no leaks so far. I've got a cheapie $15-20 one at work, which has held up amazingly well, though it looks awful and the top is cracked and starting to fall apart.

Oct 2nd, '08, 13:36

by eanglin » Oct 2nd, '08, 13:36

The bamboo trays I have seen were prone to cracks and leaking- this might be less of a problem with more expensive trays, but at my price-point they were pretty unsatisfactory and too high maintenance for everyday use.

I purchased a round stainless steel tea tray from Imperial Tea garden after seeing similar trays in somebody's blog and in a teaware lot on Ebay.
I have been very satisfied with it- it was inexpensive ($20) and has proven to be extremely durable- no fear of it cracking should it be left wet overnight. When neglected, it cleans up easily with a sponge and stainless steel polish. Mine is almost as shiny as when I bought it after a year of hard use.
It also holds a *lot* of water so you can go nuts with drenching the pot with little worry about overflowing. It 'bowl' is seamless so leaks are not an issue.

I place mine on a tea towel since it does conduct heat readily. I sometimes use a small bamboo coaster under my pot because I find that some tea does linger under the pot despite the grooves on the lid- the coaster allows for a dryer pot bottom and fewer odd looking tea stains.

ETA- this is the tray I have-
http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000Sto ... gory_ID=19

Oct 2nd, '08, 13:48

by t4texas » Oct 2nd, '08, 13:48

Thanks, wyardley. That's helpful info.

I have not liked the ones with plastic trays I have seen, even the better pricier ones. Part of it is carrying the plastic tray if I let it get very full. Part is that I have been told the plastic trays only last 1 - 3 years and there is no source for replacements...at least not in the US.

So far I have been handling things with a hodge-podge of bowls and plates and it works okay, but I'll want to do something more. I may go for a stone one later since its a much bigger expense, and add a ceramic tea boat and waste bowl sooner. I have seen such on jingteashop. Is that where you got yours?

Oct 2nd, '08, 13:58

by horsencl » Oct 2nd, '08, 13:58

This is the bamboo tea table that I have and I love it. I've never had any leaks, cracks or problems with it. I can leave it with tea in it for days and it doesn't suffer any ill effects. Not that I do that all the time but I am prone to procastination :P

http://shop.andaotea.com/products/wooden-tea-tray

Oct 2nd, '08, 14:02

by wyardley » Oct 2nd, '08, 14:02

t4texas wrote:I have not liked the ones with plastic trays I have seen, even the better pricier ones. Part of it is carrying the plastic tray if I let it get very full. Part is that I have been told the plastic trays only last 1 - 3 years and there is no source for replacements...at least not in the US
Well 3 years is a lot longer than many of the wood only trays on the market will last, and I don't see why the plastic tray itself wouldn't last if you take care of it. Plus, you can get one of those ones for like $40-60, which is pretty cheap compared to most of the other stuff on the market. I know several folks here who have them (and have had them for years) and I've never seen one break so far.

Anyway, I wouldn't try to buy the tea tray to end all tea trays unless you're really sure of what you want. Buy something that's good enough for now, and then later, you'll have a clearer idea of what you want.

The kind that drain into a bucket are probably the best; I have never got one mostly because I'm sure I'd never bother changing the bucket.
and add a ceramic tea boat and waste bowl sooner. I have seen such on jingteashop. Is that where you got yours?
I do have the waste bowl from Jing, though it doesn't match the rest of my stuff so well. You don't really need it if you have a tea tray all the water can go into...

Oct 2nd, '08, 14:03

by wyardley » Oct 2nd, '08, 14:03

Oct 2nd, '08, 15:07

by shogun89 » Oct 2nd, '08, 15:07

I asked for this one for my birthday, http://cgi.ebay.com/Chinese-Bamboo-Gong ... dZViewItem

anyone have any experience with these? My guess is that the cracks form from water getting into the wood. When I get my I plan to refinish the entire thing.

Oct 2nd, '08, 15:24

by t4texas » Oct 2nd, '08, 15:24

eanglin - Thanks. I like the idea of a bamboo coaster under the pot. Yes, I am leery of the cheapest bamboo tea trays. While the ss tea tray looks practical, it simply clashes with my aesthetic sense. But thanks anyway.

horsencl - Thanks. The price is right. Does it have a plastic tray, a drain tube or what?

wyardley - I have examined a number of bamboo and stone trays, so I'll probably poke around some more until I settle on something I really like. The carved stone bekons. In the meantime, the ceramic waste bowl appeals, and I have a Yixing teaboat, so I am not in any hurry. Thanks again.

Oct 2nd, '08, 15:25

by t4texas » Oct 2nd, '08, 15:25

wyardley wrote:ps - I assume you've seen:
http://multipleinfusions.com/2008/07/32-tea-tables/
Thanks. Missed it.

Oct 2nd, '08, 16:10

by horsencl » Oct 2nd, '08, 16:10

No plastic tray or drain tube. The tray itself catches the water. When I am done, I just take off the top and dump out the water. Any traces left behind are easily taken care of with a soft towel. From what I've heard, a good quality bamboo tray should absorb the tea rather than be destroyed by it. I think when it comes to bamboo tea trays, it is a matter of good craftsmanship. A poorly made one will leak, a well made one will not.

Oct 2nd, '08, 16:57

by MarshalN » Oct 2nd, '08, 16:57

The problem with bamboo is it does NOT do well with changes in humidity and pattern of use. I had one that worked fine for a year, until I went on vacation for a month and didn't use it -- when I came back, the thing was all cracked. It probably would've stayed ok if I had continued using it for that month, but obviously, since I wasn't around, that was not possible.

The same would be true if you live in a drier climate -- it is probably more likely to crack, rather than less. Even if you have a nice one, they will eventually start leaking. I have a friend in Shanghai who had a pretty nice one... but after a few years the corners will go, eventually. They're glued together at the end of the day, so there's no reason why it would stay together with tea constantly swimming in it.

Shogun -- the tray you pointed to in Ebay will most certainly die within a year. The cheap ones don't last.

I'd stick with plastic lined trays until you know what you're getting into.

Oct 2nd, '08, 17:59

by horsencl » Oct 2nd, '08, 17:59

I can see where climate might make a difference. I live in New Jersey and the climate is pretty temperate compared to somewhere like Arizona where it is not as humid. I've gone a month or so without using it and have not had any issues. I ordered it in July and there were no problems in the summer heat, it was a scorcher this year. I store it in the cardboard box it came in so that might help. My question now is, if they do not last very long then what is traditionally used? My table was relatively inexpensive but I cannot imagine replacing a $100+ table every few years.

Oct 2nd, '08, 18:00

by shogun89 » Oct 2nd, '08, 18:00

MarshalN wrote:The problem with bamboo is it does NOT do well with changes in humidity and pattern of use. I had one that worked fine for a year, until I went on vacation for a month and didn't use it -- when I came back, the thing was all cracked. It probably would've stayed ok if I had continued using it for that month, but obviously, since I wasn't around, that was not possible.

The same would be true if you live in a drier climate -- it is probably more likely to crack, rather than less. Even if you have a nice one, they will eventually start leaking. I have a friend in Shanghai who had a pretty nice one... but after a few years the corners will go, eventually. They're glued together at the end of the day, so there's no reason why it would stay together with tea constantly swimming in it.

Shogun -- the tray you pointed to in Ebay will most certainly die within a year. The cheap ones don't last.

I'd stick with plastic lined trays until you know what you're getting into.
Would they hold up better if you put a layer of polyurethane or epoxy on it? Epoxy is basically plastic so I dont know why it wouldn't last if it had a layer of plastic on it, Also cant you just put a plastic tray under the top so it dosent have to catch water in the bamboo basin?

Oct 2nd, '08, 19:20

by bearsbearsbears » Oct 2nd, '08, 19:20

Pros & Cons of various materials:

:arrow: Bamboo: not very durable: warps, cracks, molds over time. There's a brand from Taiwan that holds up miraculously, but I don't know that anyone carries it online, and it's expensive. Lightweight and more portable than other materials, depending on size. Can get messy depending on if its a tank/drain/tray system.

:arrow: Burlwood: made of one piece of wood and carved, then polished. Pretty but pricey. The drainage system tends to clog, and unless it's carved well, liquid can pool where not sanded properly. Usually heavy: not very portable. Water resistance varies with degree of burnishing and hardness of wood, but usually very good.

:arrow: Stone: carved and polished usually with one drain. Usually very heavy, which makes it less portable and increases shipping costs. Definitely not portable, so consider if you have space dedicated as a tea area before investing in one. As with burlwood, uneven carving can result in pooling. Stone tea sinks from Puli, Taiwan, are of better workmanship than others. Water-resistant and very durable.

:arrow: Yixing/stoneware: Vary from light to heavy, depending on clay body and thickness. Tend to "season" with tea if unglazed, which can be immediately ugly (circle stains) but pretty in the long term (as they even out). Portability varies, as does draining method. Some are lidded tanks, some have drains, some work like pitchers and pour out their side. Cost also varies by quality of clay and craftsmanship. Prone to break during shipping more than other materials, but otherwise durable and water resistant. Higher fired stonewares are less prone to breakage than yixing.

:arrow: Plastic: Surprisingly hard to find, but very light (thus very portable), inexpensive, and durable/water resistant. However, putting your best teaware on a plastic tray sometimes looks like using a spork to eat off fine china.

:arrow: Metal: Also hard to find stateside, durable, usually somewhat light. Prices vary, despite all being of similar quality. If roughly made, can scratch softer clays and glazes, but this is very uncommon. Water-resistant and dishwasher safe! Have only seen tank versions, but drained versions might exist.

Quick edit/postscript: drain-tube systems tend to clog, either around the drainage hole or grate, or in the pipe itself, and make a system less portable. Tank systems are prone to spillage as you try to carry the heavy, water-filled tray to the sink. Pick your poison.

+ Post Reply