Multiple infusions, etc

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 22nd, '08, 19:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Multiple infusions, etc

by Drax » Oct 22nd, '08, 19:33

So, I was looking over a website wherein one of the proprietors had a glass of green tea that he had basically been drinking all morning. While he said this, he had his wife add more hot water to the glass.

I'm slightly confused because I usually see the brewing times listed as 1-3 minutes (depending on type) for greens. By the later infusions, do you not have to remove the leaves...? Does this only go for high quality green teas?

Oct 22nd, '08, 19:57

by scruffmcgruff » Oct 22nd, '08, 19:57

The guy was glass brewing. Basically, you throw a bunch of leaves in a glass and add hot water over and over, drinking all the while. The difference is that you use cooler water than you normally would, which prevents overbrewing (unless you let it sit for a really long time).

Eventually, when the leaves don't have much flavor anymore, you can either change out all the leaf or just add more. It is a more casual brewing method, so the tea may not produce as complex or refined a brew as it would if it were brewed in a more controlled manner. You can do this with pretty much any tea.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Oct 23rd, '08, 18:07

by Drax » Oct 23rd, '08, 18:07

面白い!!

Thanks for the explanation, that's very interesting. I think I'll stick w/ normal brewing for now though :D

+ Post Reply