Green Teas Light or Dark
Are some green teas lighter or darker in color than others? I've only tried a few and they all seem to be a sort of light brown. If there are gradiation in color, does that affect the taste? If so how?
Jan 4th, '09, 02:11
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sep 25th, '07, 23:51
Scrolling: scrolling
Jan 4th, '09, 02:46
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
High grade Long Jing, Dragon Well, can look pretty light green in leaf while lesser grades that have been over fired to improve a lower grade leaf may appear somewhat brown. This can translate in darker or more brown brew as well.
Japanese green is virtually never brown unless it is roasted.
Generally, Chinese greens can appear more on the brown side than Japanese greens.
Japanese green is virtually never brown unless it is roasted.
Generally, Chinese greens can appear more on the brown side than Japanese greens.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!
Jan 4th, '09, 03:50
Vendor Member
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sep 24th, '08, 22:38
Location: Boston, MA
Some green teas naturally look greener than some others. For the same kind of tea, very often, when it gets old, it gets paler and browner.
For example, these are contrasts between a new and an old liu an gua pian (melon seeds).



Melon seeds have relatively longer shelf life. The old melon seeds, I won't treat guests with it, but I am so thrifty that I still drink it from time to time
Some other green teas get "old" and browner much faster.
For example, these are contrasts between a new and an old liu an gua pian (melon seeds).



Melon seeds have relatively longer shelf life. The old melon seeds, I won't treat guests with it, but I am so thrifty that I still drink it from time to time
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.
You make your one day worth two days.
