Maeda-en Shiki Matcha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Feb 4th, '09, 04:09
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 15:06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

Maeda-en Shiki Matcha

by silverneedles » Feb 4th, '09, 04:09

anyone had this?
seems dusty-powdery to my mouth, add a coughing sensation :/
astringent, not smooth, not sweet, not creamy :\
:P
8.99/1oz box but shoulda not

User avatar
Feb 5th, '09, 05:03
Posts: 199
Joined: Dec 30th, '08, 19:07
Location: Boston, MA

by guitar9876 » Feb 5th, '09, 05:03

one of my first matchas! tastes.... what you said!

User avatar
Feb 5th, '09, 05:05
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 21st, '06, 04:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Feb 5th, '09, 05:05

I didn't think matcha could be that bad. Where did it come from?

User avatar
Feb 5th, '09, 05:07
Posts: 344
Joined: Jan 23rd, '08, 05:59
Location: Williamsburg, VA

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Feb 5th, '09, 05:07

I would personally be very weary of a matcha that costs aroun $10/oz ...........in my dealing with Japanese greens I have found that most of the time you really do get what you pay for......I have not tried this particular matcha but in my experience...the ones that I have gotten that cost $40/40grams are better than the ones I bought that were $30/40grams and so on....you will find a rare exception but not too often.

-Nick

User avatar
Feb 5th, '09, 05:09
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Feb 5th, '09, 05:09

Sounds like food grade at that price and not Japanese?

Plus it is rare for matcha to be sold by the ounce ...

Feb 5th, '09, 23:10
Posts: 508
Joined: Apr 1st, '08, 16:43
Location: united states IL.

by silvermage2000 » Feb 5th, '09, 23:10

That could either be a dud. Or mabe the quality. That doesn't sound good at all. Mabe you should try something else.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '09, 00:56
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 15:06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

by silverneedles » Feb 6th, '09, 00:56

BIG PIC
BIG PIC
:shock:
Image
authentic & traditional

Feb 6th, '09, 00:59
Posts: 1978
Joined: Jan 14th, '08, 23:01
Location: CA

by Pentox » Feb 6th, '09, 00:59

Ah the Maeda-en matcha.

Yeah I've had that. Stuff was kinda bad. It was one of my firsts. After that I moved on to Koyama-en. (Good move on my part). I ended up using what was left of the can for matcha lattes and ice cream.