Western Style Brewing?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 3:38 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Feb 8th 09 3:57 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

Western Style Brewing?

by Nexius8510 » Feb 18th 09 3:38 pm

I've heard a few people talking about brewing teas (black teas I usually notice) using Western Style brewing? I was just curious as to what that actually means! Thanks!

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 3:46 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

by olivierco » Feb 18th 09 3:46 pm

Chip wrote:Western style is about 2.3 grams per 6 ounces water. Longer steeps of 3-5 minutes are pretty typical.
Gong fu stule brewing implies more leaves, less water and then shorter consecutive steeps.

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 3:56 pm
Posts: 397
Joined: Jul 18th 07 4:49 am
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Feb 18th 09 3:56 pm

Western style brewing instructions:

1. Put on cowboy hat and boots
2. Lasso tea tin

Wait, thats not right. Western brewing deals with using the kind of teapot your used to seeing (such as Adagio's personalitea or their glass teapots). The most notable style of these pots is the English "Brown Betty." Brewing western style is usually one teaspoon of tea per 6 oz. of water and waiting about 4 min (for blacks that is) with really hot water. Gong fu brewing really searches the tea out and you get to observe the subtle nuances as you do subsequent steeps, while western brewing is more...casual I suppose.

I typed this whole thing out then I saw that Chip answered you in one sentence. I'm not one for brevity. Sorry Chip!

The tea sipping swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 3:58 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Feb 8th 09 3:57 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

by Nexius8510 » Feb 18th 09 3:58 pm

Thanks so much! I had read up a little on gong fu style and was thinking that maybe could mean the same thing, but I just wasn't sure! Are there any types of tea that gong fu style isn't recommended for?

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 4:15 pm
Posts: 397
Joined: Jul 18th 07 4:49 am
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Feb 18th 09 4:15 pm

I'd say black personally. Due to their heavy processing, they dont hold up to multiple steepings as well as greens, oolongs, or puerh. I'm sure some folks here know some blacks you can gong fu though.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 4:38 pm
Posts: 522
Joined: Apr 10th 08 8:39 pm
Location: Sweden

by Beidao » Feb 18th 09 4:38 pm

I would not gongfu a Sencha. I do Gongfu Keemun and sometimes Yunnan Gold or Darjeeling.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Feb 18th 09 4:39 pm
Posts: 508
Joined: Apr 1st 08 4:43 pm
Location: united states IL.

by silvermage2000 » Feb 18th 09 4:39 pm

Hm interesting wouldnt be more expensive though because your using more leaves and what not?
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 5:23 pm
Posts: 90
Joined: Nov 2nd 08 2:21 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

by stanthegoomba » Feb 18th 09 5:23 pm

Gongfu uses up tea quicker, but you can get a lot of mileage from a single session if you re-steep.

Many of us mortals often settle on a compromise of the two brewing styles for the sake of convenience, our wallets, or even personal preference. For instance my favourite way to brew Yunnan black tea is at 4.5 grams in a 10 oz pot for 3 minutes. What would you call that?

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 9:00 pm
Posts: 88
Joined: Feb 8th 09 3:57 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

by Nexius8510 » Feb 18th 09 9:00 pm

Beidao wrote:I would not gongfu a Sencha. I do Gongfu Keemun and sometimes Yunnan Gold or Darjeeling.
I've heard of people liking to gongfu Sencha and others who do not. What is everyone's general consensus as to why or why not?

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 9:03 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

by Victoria » Feb 18th 09 9:03 pm

Because the leaf is finer, it works better with broader leaf teas, like oolongs.
Same problem with most blacks.

User avatar
Feb 18th 09 9:04 pm
Posts: 397
Joined: Jul 18th 07 4:49 am
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Feb 18th 09 9:04 pm

I wouldn't gongfu a sencha either. Sencha brewing is a whole different kettle of fish.

Feb 18th 09 10:16 pm
Posts: 86
Joined: Dec 27th 08 12:18 am
Location: Central NY USA

by shardy53 » Feb 18th 09 10:16 pm

I do my tea western style in a 16 oz pot or an Ingenuitea. I use two heaping teaspoons of BLACK tea and steep for 4 mins. Then I pour the first brew in a 32 oz thermos, and do a second 16 oz infusion for 5 mins and pour that into the same thermos. I then have four good cups of tea to drink all morning.


Steve

User avatar
Feb 19th 09 3:16 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

by Chip » Feb 19th 09 3:16 am

fencerdenoctum wrote:I wouldn't gongfu a sencha either. Sencha brewing is a whole different kettle of fish.
:lol: agreed...

I almost always Western/English brew blacks. Partially because I generally don't want to resteep blacks much more than once. Partially because blacks brew a really nice cup this way.

User avatar
Feb 19th 09 4:42 am
Posts: 1559
Joined: Jan 28th 07 7:24 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

by Space Samurai » Feb 19th 09 4:42 am

fencerdenoctum wrote:Sencha brewing is a whole different kettle of fish.
I've often been curious what we call this. Its not quite gongfu and it certainly isn't 'western style' either. Thoughts?

There are some High quality Chinese blacks (hong cha) that I think do well with gong fu.
silvermage2000 wrote:Hm interesting wouldnt be more expensive though because your using more leaves and what not?
This is why with gong fu the idea is to use small gaiwans and yixing pots, sometimes as small as 1-3 oz (30-90 ml)

User avatar
Feb 19th 09 5:28 am
Posts: 65
Joined: Jan 16th 09 7:32 pm
Location: Vancouver

by snafu » Feb 19th 09 5:28 am

Space Samurai wrote:
fencerdenoctum wrote:Sencha brewing is a whole different kettle of fish.
I've often been curious what we call this. Its not quite gongfu and it certainly isn't 'western style' either. Thoughts?
Jujutsu Cha? :wink: