Good every day green teas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 6:35 am
Posts: 411
Joined: Jul 22nd 05 8:48 pm

Good every day green teas

by bambooforest » May 3rd 09 6:35 am

Hey gang...

I have discovered a really good every day green tea. Bancha from Den's. Though it's bancha... I still think it is 2nd flush.

In fact... I like the bancha from Den's more than I like their fukamushi-sencha special which is a first flush fukamushi-cha.

I brew it, 4 grams to 8 ounces at around 180-190F at 1.5 minutes.

Surprisingly good and very satisfying.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 12:11 pm
Posts: 85
Joined: Feb 11th 09 4:46 pm
Location: Waterford, Michigan

by Odinsfury » May 3rd 09 12:11 pm

I haven't tried the bancha from Den's yet, but I really liked their genmaicha and fuka-midori from the sampler.

May 3rd 09 2:21 pm
Posts: 508
Joined: Apr 1st 08 4:43 pm
Location: united states IL.

by silvermage2000 » May 3rd 09 2:21 pm

Genmaicha seems like a good everyday green though I have not tried it yet.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 3:26 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

by Victoria » May 3rd 09 3:26 pm

I would really like to find a good and MILD and NON-ASTRINGENT, everyday, easy to brew green that is non-vegetal. Does that even exist? Den's says this is "somewhat more astringent" than sencha which is already too astringent for me. Before I read that statement, you had me.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 4:02 pm
Posts: 411
Joined: Jul 22nd 05 8:48 pm

by bambooforest » May 3rd 09 4:02 pm

Victoria:

I actually don't find it astringent. I also don't use boiling water as they suggest.

It's hard to gauge the flavor of tea, however.

Moreover, I was always under the impression that the earlier flushes were more astringent.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 4:14 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

by Victoria » May 3rd 09 4:14 pm

Well it's definitely that way with Darjeeling. Funny, but I love astringency in DJ, by the way. It's all about the FF. Most second flushes are too smooth too plain for me.

Perhaps I'll try this one then when I re-order my matcha, thanks.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 6:02 pm
Posts: 154
Joined: Apr 6th 09 2:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

by teashionista » May 3rd 09 6:02 pm

Victoria wrote:I would really like to find a good and MILD and NON-ASTRINGENT, everyday, easy to brew green that is non-vegetal. Does that even exist?
Victoria, what you're looking for is a Chinese green :D Two famous teas that come to mind: Long Jing (even the first of the season) has no astringency, more toasty than vegetal, and is mild. Bi Lo Chun is not as toasty, but still non-astringent and mild. Lower grades of both are easy to brew... I like Japanese greens when I'm in the mood for them, but on a daily basis Chinese greens do it for me :lol:

User avatar
May 3rd 09 6:46 pm
Posts: 522
Joined: Apr 10th 08 8:39 pm
Location: Sweden

by Beidao » May 3rd 09 6:46 pm

There is astringent Bancha but there also very non-astringent, easy-to-brew Bancha. So they do exist though I sadly can't point you toward any from American tea sellers.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

User avatar
May 3rd 09 6:56 pm
Posts: 544
Joined: Feb 27th 08 3:06 pm
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: TX <- NY
Been thanked: 1 time

by silverneedles » May 3rd 09 6:56 pm

im with sencha, or matcha (not the standard method of infusion tho).
i really like to see that green happy color as opposed to the yellow of chinese greens...
cool water 60C or less usually helps with keeping astringency/tannin low

User avatar
May 3rd 09 6:59 pm
Posts: 411
Joined: Jul 22nd 05 8:48 pm

by bambooforest » May 3rd 09 6:59 pm

silverneedles wrote: i really like to see that green happy color as opposed to the yellow of chinese greens...
Haha... Yes, this is indeed one of the marvelous aspects of tea that hails from Japan: its color can be exceedingly green and vibrant.

Even the yellowish tending Japanese greens still have a greenish vividness to them, somehow.

User avatar
May 3rd 09 7:38 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

by olivierco » May 3rd 09 7:38 pm

Kaboku sencha is a great everyday sencha at about 1$ a day (perhaps less if you use less leaves than I do).

User avatar
May 3rd 09 8:27 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

by Victoria » May 3rd 09 8:27 pm

teashionista wrote:
Victoria wrote:I would really like to find a good and MILD and NON-ASTRINGENT, everyday, easy to brew green that is non-vegetal. Does that even exist?
Victoria, what you're looking for is a Chinese green :D Two famous teas that come to mind: Long Jing (even the first of the season) has no astringency, more toasty than vegetal, and is mild. Bi Lo Chun is not as toasty, but still non-astringent and mild. Lower grades of both are easy to brew... I like Japanese greens when I'm in the mood for them, but on a daily basis Chinese greens do it for me :lol:
Yes, I agree, I do have a couple of Chinese ones that are very good. I'm just looking to round out - so to speak - my tea drinking experience to include Japanese greens. I have found them quite challenging and I'm seeking a victory even if it means leaving the world of sencha. :shock:

User avatar
May 3rd 09 9:01 pm
Posts: 1136
Joined: Dec 2nd 07 10:53 pm
Location: New York

by joelbct » May 3rd 09 9:01 pm

Victoria wrote:I would really like to find a good and MILD and NON-ASTRINGENT, everyday, easy to brew green that is non-vegetal.
Funny, your criteria for a good green are about the exact opposite of mine :p to each his/her own of course!

For those who like the bright green, intense vegetal taste of Japanese Green Tea: I always suggest Megami and Chiran from Ito En, which are my everyday staples... Kawane is good too.

Enjoying some Megami right now actually, yum...

Image

User avatar
May 3rd 09 9:40 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

by Victoria » May 3rd 09 9:40 pm

Thanks Joel, I'll be sure to stay away from those, ha!

Nice pic!